Old November 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

broadbean is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WPN111 and the newest update

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbean View Post
Well, I updated to the newest driver (2.1) via Windows (Vista) Update. I only did so because using the previous drivers (2.0) I would get a BSOD maybe once every 2 weeks when I switched off the PC (faulting with WPN111.sys). Now I haven't been using the new drivers long enough to know whether they have solved the BSOD problem but they have definitely reduced my signal strength. I was getting around 95% with the 2.0 drivers but now struggle to get 60% with the 2.1 drivers. My connection seems stable and my throughput is still good so I guess that if I've dodged the BSOD bullet then I'll stick with the 2.1s. It would be nice to have stability AND signal-strength, though!
Update

BSOD even more frequent with newest drivers. Have rolled back. Signal strength back to 90%+.
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:43 PM
NETGEAR User

cyclone is on a distinguished road

What router do you use for the poor signal issue compare with previous driver? Do you change channel to check the issue
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:51 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

broadbean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
What router do you use for the poor signal issue compare with previous driver? Do you change channel to check the issue
Netgear DG834GT. I've been through all the channels but none is any better than any of the others, signal strength-wise.
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:49 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jolo is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: WPN111 and the newest update

This is a complete mess.

I have had a the Netgear Internal card on a PC, to access my WPN824 v2 router. No problems. Then the antenna on it snapped off and I have a WPN111 USB adapter, which I am in the process of getting to work.

WHAT A MESS.

I installed the latest drivers, on the XP system.
  • First thing I noticed that where I used to get 104mps, I can't get more than 54, which is the G standard.
  • Then, after installing , uninstaling removing, etc, the Netgear express software seems to find my router (although at 1/2 the speed), but then I get messages that my adapter cannot be found
  • Internet doesn't work and I don't know what to do, I am so frustrated.
  • I have one PC, the one I am using, that is next to my router that is connected via Ethernet.
  • I didn't have these issues before, only on the WPN111 USB adapter, with the latest software.

Why is the moderator NOT wanting users to post their problems ? That is the entire point of a forum. That as a user community, we share and help each other fix our problems ?? I don't get it.

Thanks,

Jon
Old December 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Neevester is on a distinguished road

Hey man, I hear ya...

Look back at the very fist post I made and you'll see it got shot down. Ha, this is what forums are for, just like you said. I rolled back to the older driver so I could maintain 108mpbs. Wireless can PMS at anytime, that's what I hate about it. Anyways, I would make sure you follow every freaking step of the install. I know it was a real (female dog) installing it on my wife's computer for some reason. If I did anything out of line from those steps, it wouldn't read it. Hope this helps somewhat....

Old December 18th, 2008, 01:12 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jolo is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: WPN111 and the newest update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neevester View Post
Hey man, I hear ya...

Look back at the very fist post I made and you'll see it got shot down. Ha, this is what forums are for, just like you said. I rolled back to the older driver so I could maintain 108mpbs. Wireless can PMS at anytime, that's what I hate about it. Anyways, I would make sure you follow every freaking step of the install. I know it was a real (female dog) installing it on my wife's computer for some reason. If I did anything out of line from those steps, it wouldn't read it. Hope this helps somewhat....

Neevester,

Thanks so much for your supportive and excellent post. I have been an IT person for over two decades and sometimes, "higher tech", is not "better tech". I still use a wired mouse and keyboard after going through about three of the wireless kind because the wired ones work 100% of the time at the same rate !! I also have told my 21 year old son, who is frustrated with his bluetooth cell phone headset to get a wired one, that is a lot less expensive and will work !! Then he could look for comfort and other things for himself and not be concerned with the "iffyness", of wireless. You are SOOOO correct that wireless can sometimes be like PMS. That is a great line.

For me, fortunately, I have saved the original, long, Cat 5 cable that I can run through a hole I put in the closet of my home office and goes around the lower level of the house temporarily and plug it into my younger son's PC.

I have that there are several forums with those with the WPN111 USB cable and how it changed their distance limit and no more 108mps. As if it went back to the G standard. I also don't understand that there are different drivers from a company, other than Netgear that I guess makes the WPN111 ? On a Windows update on my XP PC, I was asked about updating to that WPN111 driver.

My issue has been solved !! after all of the time I had spend, I decided to stop screwing with the WPN111 and purchase another WPN311 PCI card.

So I uninstantiated the WPN111 drivers and software, shut down. Started up again and installed the latest drivers from the Netgear website. Shut down again, as it says in the instructions, even to the point of taking out the plug. Installed the WPN311 card.
I did change my WEP security so that I only need to remember a reference word, instead of the three independent codes (or is it four?).
Plugged the PC back in, boot it back up, XP saw the card and I made the entries necessary in the Netgear Wizard and the PC is back to 108mps, an runs perfectly with my Netgear WPN824 V2 router.
I got my money's worth out of the broken PCI card anyway, and I got another WPN311 for a very good price. Heck any stores that are still alive are selling it for a very reasonable price.

For wireless home networks, if someone wants their network to run wireless at a G plus rate, I think they will save themselves a big headache is they make sure that their router and network adapters come from the same vendor.

Those bozo's STILL have not agreed on a standard that is above the G standard, therefore, all of the G plus routers and net adapters will typically have something proprietary to make them go at greater than G speeds.

Also, as handy as USB is, an internal card will always out-perform a USB device. This will be true for networking, hard drives or any devices that require consistency and speed.

Hard wired connections will always be more consistent and out perform wireless.

BUT .... there are convenience issues to weigh out. BUT ...in technology, the newest and latest doesn't always mean better, especially these days. just look at Microsoft Vista !! (that I am using on my PC.).

Thanks,

Jon
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:43 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

BumbleMan is on a distinguished road

Guys,

I'm having slow to a crawl speeds after upgrading the firmware for the Rangemax.

How do I roll back to the old driver?

Thank you.
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleMan View Post
Guys,

I'm having slow to a crawl speeds after upgrading the firmware for the Rangemax.

How do I roll back to the old driver?

Thank you.
uninstall the it from add/remove program. remove the adapter. use other version and follow the stpes
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:10 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

BumbleMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
uninstall the it from add/remove program. remove the adapter. use other version and follow the stpes
Oops.

I meant the firmware upgrade for the Rangemax router.

Is there a way to undo that?

I'm getting normal speeds on my upstairs computer (connected via the router slot 4 to the DSL modem) but downstairs the computer with the WPN111 adapter is terribly slow. Frankly it's worthless for the internet.

It was fine at first, really quick, but then I upgraded the router firmware and now it stinks.

Can that be it?
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:25 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleMan View Post
Oops.

I meant the firmware upgrade for the Rangemax router.

Is there a way to undo that?

I'm getting normal speeds on my upstairs computer (connected via the router slot 4 to the DSL modem) but downstairs the computer with the WPN111 adapter is terribly slow. Frankly it's worthless for the internet.

It was fine at first, really quick, but then I upgraded the router firmware and now it stinks.

Can that be it?
sure.. just download and upload.. use ethernet cable to router ONLY when you upload firmware and see "Router reset" on my sig below and step1 after upgrade