Old December 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

keninnh is on a distinguished road
Default Can't talk to printer wirelessly

I have a RangeMax WPN824 v3 router.
I also have a Brother HL2070N network printer, a mac laptop and a windows vista laptop.

I gave the printer a static IP address of 192.168.1.100.
I can talk to the printer's web page by typing that address into a browser on either the mac or PC, as long as they are connected to the router over a wire.

As soon as I disconnect the ethernet cable from either laptop, I can continue to talk to the internet as usual, but I can no longer talk to the printer's web page (and of course, I can no longer print).

I've tried googling and haven't found any useful tips. I've turned off Windows Firewall and that hasn't made any difference. I've installed the latest upgrade to the router today. Finally, I should mention that even though the router is a few months old, today is the first time I'm trying to set up the network. Its not like the setup used to work properly.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
-Ken
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can't talk to printer wirelessly

check under wireless settings (router) if there is "wireless isolation" some model has this which will kill the sharing to devices on wired to the router
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:26 AM

ai123 is on a distinguished road

Ken,

Did you figure this out? I am having basically the same issue.

Thanks!
Old January 16th, 2011, 12:15 AM

sirlioneyes is on a distinguished road

In my case, the printer is wireless, and my pc is wired to the router. It appears to me that perhaps some broadcast or multicast messages used by the printer discovery is not forwarded from wired side to wireless side and vice versa. This is what I am guessing. I am thinking that this is a firmware issue with the router? At any rate, I can't get my wireless printer to work with my wired PC.
Old January 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM

sparerep is on a distinguished road

Any fresh ideas here?

I have the same problem as keninnh.

Hardware: WPN824V3
Firmware: V1.0.7_1.0.8NA

When wireless, a laptop will not connect for printing to the recently added wired printer. The printer does respond to pings from the wireless laptop.

Wireless Internet works normally.

Both DHCP-assigned 192.168.1.155 and set on printer control panel 192.168.1.175 work (or refuse to work) the same way from the laptop's DHCP-assigned 192.168.1.152.

The setup is not near me, but I was at that location a couple of weeks ago and while looking at the router management, I don't remember seeing "Wireless Isolation".

On my WNR2000V3, that's on the Setup - Wireless Settings page, but I don't think that is on that page on the WPN824. I'm going to double check this. While doing over-the-phone troubleshooting of a loss of SSID/WPA key problem, I think the Wireless Setting page showed WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] which doesn't appear in the .pdf manual, but the person at the router didn't mention "Wireless Isolation" while reading things on that management page.

Tom
Old January 16th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to confirm, wireless isolation is not featured in this model.
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:32 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

I suspect these problems may be caused by the way in which wireless operates - two wireless devices in a wireless LAN containing a wireless router or access point do not communicate directly with one another - the communication passes through the wireless router or access point, communication between a wireless computer and a wireless printer is extremely slow, and if it is a large file, for example a photograph, it may take a very long time, or, not print at all.

In my case, I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8000, which connects either wired or wireless, and my wireless LAN is built around a Linksys WAP54GP - if the computer is wireless and the printer wired, it prints; if the computer is wired and the printer wireless, it prints; if both are wired, it prints; if both are wireless - I get problems, slow printing or no printing.