Old December 18th, 2008, 09:46 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

ssmoore is on a distinguished road
Default no internet - blinking power led light, solid amber test light

I have a WGR614v9 wireless router. Aside from requiring the occasional reboot (unplugging power) this router has worked fine in the past. The other day, however, I got home and noticed the test light was on and the power light was flashing (more than once per second) - and I have no more internet. My computer has always been hooked directly to the router via ethernet cable. The router still registers this connection with a green light on the correct port. When the router is plugged into the modem, the internet led turns on but is orange. When my computer is hooked directly to modem, I do have internet. I have never downloaded a firmware or any other software update for the router. I have tried the following,

Reset the router numerous times (unplugging power source).

Tried different power outlets. We haven't had a power outage any time in the last couple months that I can remember.

Turn off modem, router, computer for more than 10 minutes. Turn on modem, turn on router after modem is reset, turn on computer after 5 minutes of watching the router's power led blink.

Because the power led is fast blink and test light remains lit, it doesn't sound like it is a firmware problem. I eventually decided to hard reset the router by pressing the factory reset button in the back. I held the button with a paper clip for 10 seconds, then 20 seconds, and finally 30 seconds. In each case there was never any apparent response from the router. The power led kept flashing at the same rate. The test light remained constantly on. I also tried holding the reset button while the router was unplugged. This didn't affect behavior either.

I can't think of anything I did to cause this. It was working fine one minute, and a few hours later wasn't working at all.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: no internet - blinking power led light, solid amber test light

Maybe you had a power surge.

The reset button does nothing with the router powered off, basically you hold the reset button in for 30 seconds with the router powered on. Following this you will need to set up the router again as all settings will be reset to factory defaults, from the sounds of it though the router may be dead.

Another reset method is as follows;

1. With the router powered off hold in the reset button,
2. Keep the reset button in, power on the router, wait 30 seconds,
3. Keep the reset button in, power off the router, wait 30 second,
4. Release the reset button.

Did you have wireless disabled?

If you have access to a multimeter check the PSU is working correctly.

My name is Andy.
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:47 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

ssmoore is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, Andy. I did actually try resetting while the power was enabled, and I tried following the "unbrick" guide which involves holding down the reset button for a total of 90 seconds while you unplug and replug the power.

I do not have a voltmeter, but I have a number of other electronics hooked up to my surge protector, including the modem, and nothing else is acting up.
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
NETGEAR Addict

nobel_nomar is on a distinguished road

Power surges are sometimes pretty random

"Apple's market share is bigger than BMW's or Mercedes's or Porsche's in the automotive market. What's wrong with being BMW or Mercedes?" -Steve Jobs

Network Cards/Adapters:
GA311, WNDA3100

Routers/APs/Switches:
DGDN3300, FVS114, GS108, WRT54GL (DD-WRT)

Comps:
MacBook C2D 2.0Ghz/3GB/250GB
Hackintosh C2D 2.4 GHz/4GB/700GB
iPhone 3G (16GB Black), Xbox 360, PS3