Old December 21st, 2008, 04:21 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

gear32 is on a distinguished road
Default NetGear Wireless-N Router WNR2000 randomly disconnect problem

I've recently just purchased NetGear's 'Wireless-N Router WNR2000', the set-up was OK and now I can surf wireless, but there are times when it might randomly disconnect and then reconnect at any time, I believe this could develop into a nuisance. I can give you a quick elaboration of what happens.

First, I would use the internet for a while, then suddenly a icon shows up saying that the connection is unplugged, then looking at the router it goes to amber then green like how the router usually starts up, then it reconnects, I fully understand this shouldn't happen. Since purchasing this on Friday, I've been experiencing this, I hope this is not a unique problem.

Could someone please assist me on finding a solution to this problem?

Thank you.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:09 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

gear32 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NetGear Wireless-N Router WNR2000 randomly disconnect problem

Good news, so far it just seems when I turn on the router before the PC, I haven't been disconnected over an hour or less. If it disconnects in the future, I'll will refer to this thread.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:17 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

issue can be from other 2.4Ghz interferences and/or PC is far from the router

see "wireless tips" on my sig below and do some troubleshoot
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:19 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

spyder1222 is on a distinguished road

I am having a similar problem, but it only disconnects my wired connection. The icon will suddenly say "Cable is unplugged" than come back on by itself. It happens so suddenly, I haven't had time to see what happens on the router itself, but I will keep an eye on it next time that it happens.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:41 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Travitar is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem. I notice it a lot because it happens when I'm trying to play games. It seems to be getting worse. Im not running wireless on the same channel as any of my neighbors(1-11 im on 3) I suspect is the 2.4Ghz interference but I cant see where to change it to 5Ghz. Also I have an Xbox360 and Ps3 hooked up wirelessly and am not positive they'll still connect when I change it to 5.

all they have on the WNR2000 support page FAQ for this issue is that a computer on the network may be infected with a virus. I'm sure it may be entirely possible, which is why I'm currently scanning my computer with AVG 9 Pro, but I'm not looking forward to installing AV software and scanning on the 4 other computers in my network. I'm also skeptical b/c the solution provided is very general.

So cliffs:
-where exactly in the router control panel do I change it from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz?
-Netgear support page says it could be a virus(I dont think it is)
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:03 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

If you have neighbours on channels 1 and 11 then you should really use channel 6 since channel 3 overlaps with channel 1.

My name is Andy.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
If you have neighbours on channels 1 and 11 then you should really use channel 6 since channel 3 overlaps with channel 1.
Thx. I used InSSIDer to check neighboring network channels. There are ~10 other networks and you were right they do overlap. I went with channel 11 because it was the least occupied and overlapped the least with other networks, especially the closer ones.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:24 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
-where exactly in the router control panel do I change it from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz?
-Netgear support page says it could be a virus(I dont think it is)
WNR2000 is 2.4Ghz ONLY..

router can flooded by the PC 's virus
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

reposting this from a different thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travitar View Post
I haven't had to downgrade my firmware. I have done multiple solutions mentioned in this and other threads and seem to have fixed it.

First I disabled IPv6 In vista(x64)[Network and Sharing center>Manage Network Connections>Right click Wireless Network Connection>Properties> uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)]

Then I changed my wireless network channel to 11 from auto in Wireless Settings in the router manager. I did this because I live in an apartment complex which means I have lots of neighbors whom all seem to have their own wireless network. I used InSSIDer* to see what channels they were running on and picked 11 because body else is running it. And you have to keep in mind that unlike TV channels wireless channels DO overlap**. This is why InSSIDer is important because you can see How many other networks are overlapping yours Thus causing interference and connectivity issues. You'll want to chose whichever channel will overlap the least with all other networks in your area

Lastly I changed the RIP version from DISABLED to RIP_2M(Router manager>LAN setup). It's been said in another thread that the newest firmware may have changed the default RIP version setting to DISABLED. The information bar on the right states default should be RIP-2. Things got a little hairy when I messed with this and tried to apply the change and I kept getting disconnected(Note: I was changing the settings wirelessly). When I'd reconnect the RIP Version would be Disabled again. I kept trying and after 4 or 5 attempts I reconnected and RIP_2M was the current setting.

I've only been running these settings for a few hours but my disconnect issue seems to have ceased. I will update if I experience any problems. Hope this helps everyone

*Free software(http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider), which ironically does NOT work with IPv6 disabled, I'm fairly certain, so you'll want to scan before you disable IPv6.

**More info about this here Wireless Channel Interference
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travitar View Post
especially the closer ones.
That sounds sensible, but for wireless networks a closer strong signal from another network is actually better than a weak signal, it is not the same as the way analogue radio works. The router will have to negotiate ‘air-time’ with the other networks, and if the router can hear the other networks well then that’s better than struggling to do the same thing with a weak signal.

My name is Andy.