Old December 30th, 2008, 07:06 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jim5301 is on a distinguished road
Default Why can't I print to my Konica Minolta network printer?

We recently upgraded to broadband. Our ISP doesn't supply a router, so I bought a NetGear WPN824 Range Max. Alas the manual though quite good for setting up the internet connection is (for me at least) rather vague about setting up our LAN at home.

The computers are all talking to each other. However, we have a Konica Minolta 2300DL laser printer which has an ethernet connection. I worked with our old hub, but so far I cannot get it to work. I have run the printer installation disk repeatedly and only succeeded in having a number of printer icons in the printer folder that I cannot delete. The Konica Minolta installation software recognizes the printer, but I still can't print to it. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your time and attention.
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:17 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why can't I print to my Konica Minolta network printer?

test with PC with ethernet cable to the router and see...
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:47 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

There are a number of possible problem areas and I really do feel that the best people to turn to would be the KonicaMinolta tech support group.

First - the printer network address - I'm going to assume that the printer uses ip as it's communication protocol (most network equipment sold in the past five years or more does) - it's not clear from your post how your old network assigned ip addresses - but unless you changed the configuration, the Netgear router acts as a DHCP server and will issue or lease addresses, which may belong to a different subnet that the one previously used - you need to ensure that the printer has an appropriate ip address.

Second - firewalls - the Windows firewall has a tendency to accept the first network range it is used with as a trusted network and all later network ranges as untrusted and blocks communication on these new networks - you may need to reconfigure the Windows firewall to allow the communication between the computer and the printer.
Old December 30th, 2008, 02:08 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
test with PC with ethernet cable to the router and see...
I will check the cable. It was working with our old hub though and the Konica Minolta installation software seems to see it. Should the IP address be 192.168.1.161 or does it matter?
Old December 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
There are a number of possible problem areas and I really do feel that the best people to turn to would be the KonicaMinolta tech support group.

First - the printer network address - I'm going to assume that the printer uses ip as it's communication protocol (most network equipment sold in the past five years or more does) - it's not clear from your post how your old network assigned ip addresses - but unless you changed the configuration, the Netgear router acts as a DHCP server and will issue or lease addresses, which may belong to a different subnet that the one previously used - you need to ensure that the printer has an appropriate ip address.

Second - firewalls - the Windows firewall has a tendency to accept the first network range it is used with as a trusted network and all later network ranges as untrusted and blocks communication on these new networks - you may need to reconfigure the Windows firewall to allow the communication between the computer and the printer.
Thank you for the info, I will check with Konica Minolta.

I am using Norton 360 and have entered what I believe is the printer address (192.168.1.161 or maybe 192.168.0.161 - what it has always been) in the firewall page.

Please pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to query the router (or maybe one of the computers) about what the router thinks is attached to it?

Old December 30th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim5301 View Post
I will check the cable. It was working with our old hub though and the Konica Minolta installation software seems to see it. Should the IP address be 192.168.1.161 or does it matter?
If you change the equipment , printer may have different IP which may causing the issue. I would check all the settings on Konica as well
Old December 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

The ip address DOES matter - and 192.168.0.161 and 192.168.1.161 - would be two completely different networks and not "visible" from one another - that alone is enough to cause your problem.

The router should have an "attached devices" page that shows the devices it is aware of.
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:35 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thank you for your response. I may be overlooking something, but how do I access the "attached devices" page?

Old December 31st, 2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim5301 View Post
Thank you for your response. I may be overlooking something, but how do I access the "attached devices" page?

router interface. login and you will see it
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:47 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
The ip address DOES matter - and 192.168.0.161 and 192.168.1.161 - would be two completely different networks and not "visible" from one another - that alone is enough to cause your problem.

The router should have an "attached devices" page that shows the devices it is aware of.
Ok, found it. It says there is an unknown device with address 192.168.0.161. I have it entered in the Norton 360 firewall, but still cannot print to it. Is there something else?