Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old December 30th, 2008, 05:02 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

harleyslapper is on a distinguished road
Default Router doesn't recognize internet service

Hello,

I have a wpn824 v.2

Router worked fine on a cable connection. No issues at all. Access at 5000kb, no prob on wired or wireless.

I recently moved into the country, and my only option for internet is wireless broadband using microwave (I think(there's a dish looking gizmo pointed to an antenna 7 miles away)).

There is no modem. Cat 5 cable coming from dish. If connected directly to lan port on PC, downloads at 3000kb, no issues. Connection from PC to router is fine and can access it. When I tried to access internet through router, it doesn't recognize any internet connection. Retry, restart, unplug, retry.. sometimes it will recognize it as a static connection, sometimes as a dynamic. I actually got connected once for an hour, but download speeds were throttled to 500kb. Called support.. HAHA.. no luck there.

Have tried every option I can think of, have manually and through router restarted and set to factory settings. ugh

Any suggestions??
Old December 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Router doesn't recognize internet service

Connect the PC to the dish and goto a command prompt - do an ipconfig and post the results - if you feel the need, you can conceal the last octet of the ip address (for example 192.168.1.x).

If the ip address is anything other than a 192.168.x.x address, do an "ipconfig /release" and then disconnect the cable from the PC and connect it to the router's WAN/internet connection with the router switched OFF, connect the PC to a LAN connection and switch the router on, wait one minute and try to open the router's admin page - check the status and see what it reports as the router's WAN ip address.

If the router does not report an ip address similar to the one you got in ipconfig - goto the setup page and select Use Computer's MAC Address and see what happens.
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:15 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thank you very much for the quick response!

IP Address 65.61.51.x
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 65.61.51.x
as you requested.

As suggested, I performed the ipconfig/release command, then followed your instructions on reattaching and restarting the router. No dice.

I then accessed the router and clicked all the "get dns, etc from ISP", as this is an always on, no login account. No dice.

I then ran the "wizard". First it suggested I had a static IP and requested logins, etc.

Ran it again and it suggested I had a dynamic IP, but still wouldn't connect.

Next I ran the installation CD. I said no internet connection found.

I'm back to square one!

Next suggestion?

Again, thank you for the quick response and help. Pulling some hair out over this
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:08 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

check your network properties (PC) and make sure your TCP/IP properties to set " obtain automatially"
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

yes they are. The issues is not with the PC, but with the router, as it will not recognize the internet style.
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:38 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyslapper View Post
yes they are. The issues is not with the PC, but with the router, as it will not recognize the internet style.
with that IPconfig is NOT right....

if you did this behind your broadband then do the same ipconfig behind the netgear router

you need turn off the modem by itself for 15MIN and tun the router off too. PC needs to unhooked cable .

ONLY turn back the modem on by itself. wait until comeback on. then hook up router. then hook up PC behind the router

try again

if still cause issue read thid

http://vpncasestudy.com/download/use...ModemSetup.pdf

mac spoofing you need to do.

if you hook up PC again to modem, you need to do all over with 15min off
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:15 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

OK - here's what we're trying to do.

First - we have verified that whatever dish device you are using, it provides you with a public ip address, so you can run a router after it to share the connection.

The reason for the "ipconfig /release" was to have the computer tell the dish device it was disconnecting - and in theory the dish device should then honor a request for an ip address from another computer or a router.

The last thing I wanted done was for you to tell the router to use the computer's MAC address - because sometimes the ISP locks the MAC address to prevent you from using a router.

With the PC connected to the dish - go to a command prompt and do an "ipconfig /all" - make a note of the lease expiry date & time - if it's not too far away, just switch everything off and connect the router up and wait until the lease has expired and then try again - don't run the wizard, go into the router and follow the basic setup prompts, it's not that difficult.
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:59 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thank you for all of your help.

Unfortunately, after 4 days of calling customer support and trying all of the suggestions above, I ran out of patience.

Bought me a new linksys router that is working great.

Thanks again.