Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cwdonahue is on a distinguished road
Default WNR834Bv2 Router and Panasonic BD-55 Blu-ray player

Try as I might, I can't get my Panasonic DMP-BD55 blu-ray player to connect to the internet through my WNR834Bv2 router.

The BD55 is connected via a Linksys Ethernet switch to a Linksys WGA54G wireless Ethernet bridge. My DirecTV HR20-100 DVR connects to the Internet with no problems through this setup. It's the other device sharing the wireless connection via the Ethernet switch.

When I attempt to connect to the Internet via my BD55, the following happens:

1) If I configure the BD55 to obtain an IP address via DHCP from the WNR834B router, I get an error message that it can't obtain an IP address via DHCP.

2) If I reserve an IP address at the WNR834B (like I do with my HR20-100 DVR) and configure the BD55 to use that specific IP address, I get a "no response from host" error message. So, it seems like I get out to the Internet, but can't get a response back.

I'm stumped. Any ideas what I should try to do to fix this?
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:50 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNR834Bv2 Router and Panasonic BD-55 Blu-ray player

feeling issue between the your linksys device and netgear router wireless settings

I would work on your wireless setting.. if you don't own any n-adapter, set to B & G mode
Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:58 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
feeling issue between the your linksys device and netgear router wireless settings

I would work on your wireless setting.. if you don't own any n-adapter, set to B & G mode
Actually, the Linksys wireless Ethernet bridge has always worked with my router. It's first job was to provide Wi-Fi for my son's XBOX 360. Worked great. Before I got the BD-55, my DVR was directly connected to the wireless bridge and worked just fine. After adding the Ethernet switch to share the wireless bridge connection with the BD-55, it still works great...as expected.

I have directly connected the BD-55 to the Ethernet bridge and that changed nothing. Still didn't work. I have tested all the cables and they all work fine. So, I've ruled out that side of the equation. It seems like the router isn't playing well with the BD-55. Maybe a firewall issue or something like that?

One other clue I have to offer. The DVR is UPnP capable. From what I can determine, the BD-55 is not.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I retraced my steps just to make sure I didn't miss any changes along the way since you suggested looking at the wireless bridge again. Well...I had changed the DNS address since the last time I tried this. I connected the BD-55 directly to the wireless bridge and it worked for the first time. So, it doesn't like my Ethernet switch even though the DVR has no problem with it. Time to go through that documentation again. Guess I may need to get a multi-port wireless bridge if I can't get the switch to work with this.