Old January 12th, 2009, 12:13 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

dough is on a distinguished road
Default CG814GCMR Wireless Settings Keep Resetting

Hi,

I've got a Netgear wireless cable modem gateway (CG814GCMR). Every now and then, and I can't for the life of me figure out the stimulus, the router will reset all of its settings (default username/password, wireless settings, etc.).

But here is the kicker. It doesn't reset to default wireless settings (i.e. SSID: Netgear, etc.) No, it resets to an SSID of "Wireless" with a WEP protection (with a strange WEP password). And so it seems that if I alter these wireless settings, the cable modem will more than likely reset itself. However, if I don't touch these "default" settings, the modem will keep itself alive and not reset itself.

I don't have this connected to an XBOX or anything. Simply connected to it wirelessly for general browsing purposes.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:31 AM
NETGEAR Addict

fihart is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CG814GCMR Wireless Settings Keep Resetting

Do you normally have wireless encryption enabled -- or is a neighbour messing with your system ?
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:06 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But here is the kicker. It doesn't reset to default wireless settings (i.e. SSID: Netgear, etc.) No, it resets to an SSID of "Wireless" with a WEP protection (with a strange WEP password). And so it seems that if I alter these wireless settings, the cable modem will more than likely reset itself. However, if I don't touch these "default" settings, the modem will keep itself alive and not reset itself.
sounds like

1. if you use WEP, then you got hacked. use WPA, WPA2 ONLY

2. bad power supply with reboot my cause the setting to change or halted.
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
1. if you use WEP, then you got hacked. use WPA, WPA2 ONLY
This certainly sounds like a case of hacking and this is was I thought initially. However, I no longer believe this is the case. Each time the modem "restarts", I would change the SSID and setup a WPA2 level encryption. I have even disabled the broadcast of the SSID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
2. bad power supply with reboot my cause the setting to change or halted.
I am intrigued about what this means. Could a bad power supply cause it to restart in such a state that has a different "default" SSID and WEP password?

Could this be something completely different? A virus on a machine? An error from a Windows Update/Vista driver? A corrupt BIOS on the modem? Do I need a firmware upgrade?
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM

these models are ISP specific therefore it is possible to have default wireless setting and encryption already configure by ISP specific firmware.

All in all, if power supply does not have adequate voltage or Amp. it can cause issues in hardware. Some time it may work fine after unplug the power but after while it will lock up is once symptoms as power supply gets warm up it will do that.

in your case , also if something in voltage fluctuate it can reboot.
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for your help.
I will look into the issue some more.
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:53 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

mfann72 is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue. But mine will reset after I forward port 42395. It will reset itself to the default state.
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfann72 View Post
I have the same issue. But mine will reset after I forward port 42395. It will reset itself to the default state.
have you test with lower port #?
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Brokerdelete is on a distinguished road

I have a NETGEAR (WGR614 v8) with the exact same power supply, same serial # and part number, and it doesn't matter a bit if I swap them out. There is a bug in the CG814GCMR flash is my guess. It does what original post says, changes SSID to Wireless, changes WEP codes to all ONES 11111111111, changes to default login and password. It is very annoying. It's done this since one hour after Cable Company installed it. It's doing it every other day or up to 3x a day for no decernable reason whatsoever.

I abosolutely LOVE my WGR614 v8 but only after having to swap it out under warranty, the new one came back with a newer flash and subtle menu changes and has worked flawlessly ever since!

Therefore, I'm convinced the CG814GCMR requires a firmware update too. Simple as that. Now, how do we go about obtaining this? Surely not from the Cable Company, they only play the blame game and never correct or resolve - period.

It's up to NETGEAR. Please HELP!

Thank you.
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Therefore, I'm convinced the CG814GCMR requires a firmware update too. Simple as that. Now, how do we go about obtaining this? Surely not from the Cable Company, they only play the blame game and never correct or resolve - period.
any fixes on firmware needs to come from ISP so netgear will not assist you on this. you need to deal with ISP..