Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Adapters > RangeMax Adapters

Old January 20th, 2009, 09:31 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

DavidA is on a distinguished road
Default Getting rid of Netgear

I have a Sony Viao and am using a WNDA3100 (Driver Version 3.0.0.122) to connect to a WNDR3300 router which is in the same room and only 10 feet away. The signal strength is 100%, WPA2 PSK encryption. My problem is that at frequent intervals the connection is lost. I have to open the Netgear Wizard and go through the "Join a network..." routine even though the network is shown, and the WPA key is there too. I always have to do this when I boot, and after being in Standby, and it happens frequently even when I''m working on-line. Sometimes the Wizard works first time, sometimes I have to go through the routine twice, and occasionally three times. This is absurd. I have second Viao which uses Windows to connect to the same router, it works, every time, connects on boot up, never drops the connection. I have had enough of the Netgear software, I want to use Windows to control the connection on the first Viao too. I have been told that I need to uninstall the Netgear software but leave the drivers installed.

Netgear support work at a glacial pace, one reply every day or so. That wouldn't be too bad if they answered the question, but they don't. Three times I've been told how to update the driver even though I told them in the very first message that I had the latest version installed. Please can anyone tell me if I can uninstall the Netgear software leaving only the driver in System32 folder? Would that allow me to enable Windows to control the connection?
My thanks to anyone who can help,
David
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting rid of Netgear

before you uninstall, check netgear folder you may find the driver folder.
copy and uninstall the utility and try manually install it.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for your reply, but I really, really want to get rid of this Netgear software. I judge a company by the support it provides, and Netgear has to be the worst I've ever suffered. The only responses I've had from them are to tell me how to do something I didn't want to know, but they don't answer the one question I have asked. It's 36 hours since I asked this same question, for the third time, and I'm still waiting for a response.

Can I keep just the driver and nothing else?

David
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:32 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
Thanks for your reply, but I really, really want to get rid of this Netgear software. I judge a company by the support it provides, and Netgear has to be the worst I've ever suffered. The only responses I've had from them are to tell me how to do something I didn't want to know, but they don't answer the one question I have asked. It's 36 hours since I asked this same question, for the third time, and I'm still waiting for a response.

Can I keep just the driver and nothing else?

David
I don't think read my post. I said copy the driver folder if there and uninstall the uitlity

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sorry, I didn't understand your reply. I do have a Driver folder, it has 3 files, arusb_xp.cat, arusb_xp.inf, & arusb_xp.sys. The driver, WNDA31.sys, is in Windows\System32. So I copy the Driver folder, then uninstall the Netgear software. Then what do I do with the copy of the Driver folder?

David
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

once reinsert or find the card that is not installed with driver manually install the driver from device manager

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

fju2112 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
Sorry, I didn't understand your reply. I do have a Driver folder, it has 3 files, arusb_xp.cat, arusb_xp.inf, & arusb_xp.sys. The driver, WNDA31.sys, is in Windows\System32. So I copy the Driver folder, then uninstall the Netgear software. Then what do I do with the copy of the Driver folder?

David
Hi David

This is happening to me, too. Did the solution above work? I couldn't really follow what the mod was saying, but why not just completely uninstall it, including the driver, reboot, and allow Windows to add its own driver? Where is this driver; I'm not seeing it in my Drivers folder under windows/system32?

I already disabled the software on startup and Windows is running the show, but why not just uninstall it completely is my attitude.

Also, I'm finding that with a 2.4GHz cordless phone next to my LinkSys Wireless-G 2.4GHz router, the connection to my PC (using the WN111 adapter) will stop working until I'm off the phone. Then I take the USB adapter out, and put it back in, and Windows finds my network again. Will simply moving the phone base and the wireless router further apart do the trick or is it the signal from the handset? And what about going into my wireless router settings and changing the channel (it only changes slightly)? What is recommended here?
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:38 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

MrStalker is on a distinguished road

Use Atheros latest drivers found here instead. The ones included in Netgear's release is seriously outdated.
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:43 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

fju2112 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStalker View Post
Use Atheros latest drivers found here instead. The ones included in Netgear's release is seriously outdated.
Is this going to stop it from crapping out on me every time it's idle? I also have a 2.4GHz cordless phone and apparently I have to move the base pretty far from the router. I have Comcast coming today at some point so I might just see if the guy can do me a solid and move the modem to the bedroom (long story, didn't work when I tried), then return this thing...haven't had good luck w/ it so far but will try the updated drivers.
Old February 8th, 2009, 06:25 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fju2112 View Post
Is this going to stop it from crapping out on me every time it's idle? I also have a 2.4GHz cordless phone and apparently I have to move the base pretty far from the router. I have Comcast coming today at some point so I might just see if the guy can do me a solid and move the modem to the bedroom (long story, didn't work when I tried), then return this thing...haven't had good luck w/ it so far but will try the updated drivers.
quite easy to move the cable modem if you already have cable outlet on other room.

only requirement is that that cable from junction provided the clean signal.

change cable hook up where all the cable comes and make sure the line is off from the first splitter. most common issue is when you use multiple splitter and if the line comes out from ex. 3rd splliter then you loose -3db from each splitter it goes through and cable modem will not initiate the connection. as long as this done correctly, you can move anywhere in the house

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy