Old February 4th, 2009, 03:39 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

nitroman714 is on a distinguished road
Default Poor Signal Strength

I just upgraded to a Rangemax WPN824V3 from a WGR614V6 the old router was losing connection to the internet and needed rebooting at times and was getting more frequent. I stream movies from netflix to my xbox 360 and was all hyped about the better range faster output of my new modem till I saw the signal strength with the xbox 360. It fluctuates from NO bars to only 3 bars. It only has a singnal strength of 55-75% accordning to my PS3 meter. I would think a new modem with better range, faster output, and 7 antennas would have full bars constantly and have a signal strength of 80%plus on the PS3. I have put it to g only, b and g, changed channels, cut off the advanced features, even put foil on my Xbox 360 antenna with no luck. I have run out of ideas! Is there a way in the advanced set up to boost the signal? Should I go back to an earlier firmware? First night I had it when Xbox showed red bar to no bars the netflix meter showed only one bar for video quality and would not even load the movie. Old modem had 4 bars all the time. Odd thing when I cut off advanced features put to G only and changed to channel 11. The xbox showed 3 bars then went to NO bars and stayed at no bars. Checked out Netflix and it showed 4 bars and ran without a glitch. Why would this happen very odd. The PS3 showed 67% signal strength at this point. I would still think I should be getting 80-90% the PS3 and Xbox are about 100-200 feet max only have a 1250 SQ foot house. Sorry for the length of the posst Thanks for any advice..
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:35 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: Poor Signal Strength

The firmware that the Xbox 360 states is compatable is "WPN824 1.0.10_1.0.7, V2.0.15_1.0.11" is there a way to downgrade the firmware between versions? These look like they are from V1 of the router and I have V3. In any if it were not compatable would I be even getting a signal. Maybe lowering the firmware would solve the signal strength. I would think the newer the firmware the better? You never know though. Tahnks for any advice...
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I would think a new modem with better range
wrong lingo... modem is not router.. WPN, WGR are called routers and not modem

modem are only used with DSL modem is built in such as DG models for example.

WPN824 will not make huge difference since PS3 do not use MiMo technology.

you have to have rangemax wireless adapter to make the full perfomrnace out of these unit while it is still backward compatible with standard G wireless adapter which you may not see significant changes in signal
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:01 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I do know the diffrence between modems and routers thank you it was early and typed modem by mistake instead of router. I am sure calling it a modem and not a router does not change my problem... Do you have any advice on why my new ROUTER is not getting better signal strength? Or how to improve the signal strength of my ROUTER or if I could use an old firmware from a V1 ROUTER that is Xbox Live compatable? I would think a new ROUTER touted to have great range would get better than no bars on the xbox 360. Was hoping for advice not snid lingo lessons... Only been working with computerssince the days of dos and 286's when 256of memory was a big deal..
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am sure calling it a modem and not a router does not change my problem...
correct lingo helps.. not even close to automobile and vehicle( same thing)

router and modem has totally different function

And I have answer to your question why you don't see the difference in range

Quote:
WPN824 will not make huge difference since PS3 do not use MiMo technology.

you have to have rangemax wireless adapter to make the full perfomrnace out of these unit while it is still backward compatible with standard G wireless adapter which you may not see significant changes in signal
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:08 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

My old ROUTER Had 4 bars on the Xbox 360 and the New ROUTER only has 3 bars at most and then goes to NO Bars at all. I would think one with 7 antennas would have at least equal signal strength to my old ROUTER not worse! Not having a probem with the PS3..
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroman714 View Post
My old ROUTER Had 4 bars on the Xbox 360 and the New ROUTER only has 3 bars at most and then goes to NO Bars at all. I would think one with 7 antennas would have at least equal signal strength to my old ROUTER not worse! Not having a probem with the PS3..
that is difference in having RangeMax router that uses MiMo technology and old router (standard g wireless)

seems you probably did not need to buy a router but locate your router in centrally located to gain better.
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:28 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

The strange thing is my PS3 gets 75%-100% signal strength with the new ROUTER while my old ROUTER only got 50%-65%. While the Xbox Gets 3 bars at start up but once live Kicks in it drops to one red bar to NO bars with the new ROUTER while the old ROUTER had a constant 3-4 bars. Had to replace the old ROUTER since it was having problems. Seems like it is an Xbox issue. Is there a way to boost the signal output of the netgrear to solve this problem or do I need to make a wireless booster antenna for my Xbox 360? Would just getting a standard G ROUTER like the Linksys WRT54G2 solve the problem? Still I would think a new ROUTER with 7 antenna, with a range booster would have a better signal than my old ROUTER and the linksys with only 2 antenna something is not right.. Netgear claims even with standard G this ROUTER should inprove performance by up to 50%.. I would like to keep this ROUTER but have it for streaming and good signal strength is needed. Any tips on improving the signal strength would be great..
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
till I would think a new ROUTER with 7 antenna, with a range booster would have a better signal than my old ROUTER and the linksys with only 2 antenna something is not right.. Netgear claims even with standard G this ROUTER should inprove performance by up to 50%.. I would like to keep this ROUTER but have it for streaming and good signal strength is needed. Any tips on improving the signal strength would be great..
like said.. wireless adapter have to have rangemax wireless adapter to have good performance.

you can try B&G mode since you can not use 108Mbs in WPN824 settings (wireless settings)

if this don't help I would say return the this one and get something that you can attach external antenna to router with "standard" G wireless routers.
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

[QUOTE=jmizoguchi;166781]like said.. wireless adapter have to have rangemax wireless adapter to have good performance.QUOTE]

Then why does Netgear state that even with regular G Adapters it should increase performance by 50%?? So you are saying without a Rangemax wireless adapter I will have BAD performance? That should be put on the BOX instead of all the hype about 7 antennas, increased range, 10 the speed, etc. etc etc. You still have not answered my question regarding why the PS3 would show improved signal strength and my Xbox 360 would show NO BARS!!!! Or if I could increase signal strength from the setup? Or if going back to an earlier firmware may do the trick or if I could use firmware from a V1 WPN824 ROUTER since it is windows live compatable. All you have stated is not to expect better performance and I need a rangemax adapter to even get good performance or I need to move it closer which defeats everything hyped by Netgear about great range. Or try B & G mode after I already stated I did that. Please can someone give me advice on how to improve signal strength.