Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Storage, Entertainment, Print Servers & VOIP Devices > Multimedia Entertainment Devices > EVA8000 Forum

Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

lagrav is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Cant Connect to Network

This forum has been invaluable to me as an eva user. Thanks to all, perhaps you can help me now?

My eva8000 has been working for about a year now. I watched movies on it Friday. The next day it would only power up then the screen would go blank. I called netgear and they sugguested I use the system recovery tool and reset the machine. I did that any I am able to get to the menus, however I am unable to connect to my network. I know I am doing it correctly. I cant connect by wired or wireless method. Since that would not work I tried to update by USB. But I get the path not found error. Can someone help me connect to my network or upgrade the firmware to the latest form factory defayults via usb please? any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:25 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

muzicman61 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cant Connect to Network

Well, your network must be working if you were able to recover the EVA using the Recovery Tool. What path were you using? You could also take the new firmware and place it in the Recovery Tool directory (renaming as required) and then perform the recovery again.
NETWORK & NAS - ReadyNAS NV+ (8TB), NV+ (6TB), Duo (2TB), Buffalo NAS (2TB), Netgear WNDR4000 & 3800 Routers, (2) Netgear GS608 Switches. APC UPS.
Powered Source: Illudium P-36 Explosive Space Modulator
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thank you for the reply. I am having trouble with this aspect. How do I place it in the recovery tool directory? What do you mean by what path?
I followed the instructions with the recovery tool, do you maen which usb port? I was using the front and added eva.bin to the path but it could not locate it. I also tried .eva.bin. I can't figure it out!
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

When you download and install the Recovery Tool, it will create a directory and in that directory is an image file. EVArecovery.bin or something like that. Just take the image you have already downloaded a copy it to the EVA Recovery Tool directory. Delete the old recovery image and rename the new file to the same name as the one you deleted. Then when you run the recovery tool it will use that.

HOWEVER... sounds like you just don't know the exact path to use in the update field. It needs to be "/mnt/usb1/eva.bin." without the quotes, and the name of the bin file needs to match whatever you named it on the usb key. As always, it is best to do a restart of your EVA before this procedure.
NETWORK & NAS - ReadyNAS NV+ (8TB), NV+ (6TB), Duo (2TB), Buffalo NAS (2TB), Netgear WNDR4000 & 3800 Routers, (2) Netgear GS608 Switches. APC UPS.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:19 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks again. I have done this as you indicated above but I still get the invalid directory error message. Why would I not be able to connect to my network? I know I am performing the procedure correctly because I did the same for my other functioning eva8000. Why would the firmware in the issue unit just go out? THanks.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Remember that the path is case senstive. EVA.BIN is not the same as eva.bin

Maybe a bad flash is keeping it from updating via the usb. Try the recovery tool method using a the latest firmware.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

use the recovery tool and restart the system with the latest firmware and do the whole restart from step one correct? ok.

What would make only this unit not connect to my network?

Thanks again for all you responses.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

There are way too many factors for me to predict why your EVA is having network issues. Honestly if you were able to use the recovery tool, then the network is probably ok. Have you tried switching locations to another network location? What are the network settings the eva is reporting?
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

StephenB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman61 View Post
There are way too many factors for me to predict why your EVA is having network issues. Honestly if you were able to use the recovery tool, then the network is probably ok. Have you tried switching locations to another network location? What are the network settings the eva is reporting?
Seems to me that if the recovery tool runs, but the EVA is not connected afterwards, that one possibility is that the EVA is not getting an IP address from DHCP.
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:43 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
Seems to me that if the recovery tool runs, but the EVA is not connected afterwards, that one possibility is that the EVA is not getting an IP address from DHCP.
A very good possibility since ther recovery processes uses a static IP. That is why I would like to see his network settings the EVA is reporting.