Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wired Networking Products for SOHO Applications > Wired Network Adapters

Old February 25th, 2009, 07:54 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

rwh13384 is on a distinguished road
Default FA311v2 cannot connect to DG834PN via Devolo 200mbps plug adapter

Hi, need a bit of help.

To cut a long story short, I had an old Dell lying gathering dust and thought I would try it out as an HTPC before I build one, Vista 32 bit is installed.

My Router is the Netgear DG834PN, and I have 2 Vista PC's connected and networked to it using the Devolo home plug adapters (200mbps), both Nvidia chipset motherboards and connected with onboard ethernet. They work fine , default gateway is 192.168.0.1 and they are 2 and 3 respectively.

I can connect wirelessly (to both router and other pc's) but I had a spare plug and I like the speed of the devolo for moving large files across the network.

The dell had a Broadcom ethernet controller and I couldn't get it to work.

I bought an FA311v2, I thought connecting 2 netgear products would be easy.

Now the obvious problem is the FA311v2 wants to use an IPv4 address of 169.254.104.16 and the DG834PN has an address range of 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 so the FA311v2 cannot find the network.

I have tried the cmd prompts of ipconfig/release which works but ipconfig/renew reports that it cannot find the file.

I have also set the FA311v2 to use a fixed IPv4 address (192.168.0.4) and set the default gateway to 192.168.0.1, that hasn't worked either.

I am waiting on a 15m ethernet cable and will try connecting direct from the FA311v2 to the router, but would prefer to use the plug adapter.

Any ideas/solutions will be gratefully received, many thanks in advance.
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:34 AM
NETGEAR Expert

alre90210 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FA311v2 cannot connect to DG834PN via Devolo 200mbps plug adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh13384 View Post
Now the obvious problem is the FA311v2 wants to use an IPv4 address of 169.254.104.16 and the DG834PN has an address range of 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 so the FA311v2 cannot find the network.
The 169.254.x.x indicates that your PC can't find a DHCP server and uses a self assigned address. Could you somehow supply a layout of your network?

Example:

Router
Port1 - Ethernet cable - PC 1
Port2 - Ethernet cable - PC 2
Port3 - Ethernet cable - Devolo adapter - power outlet in home office

PC 3 - Ethernet cable - Devolo adapter - power outlet ín living room

You can test connectivity of the home plug adapters by inserting it into one of the direct PC connections.

Port1 - Ethernet cable - Devolo adapter - power line - Devolo adapter - ethernet cable - PC 1

I use(d) Devolo Fast Ethernet with D-Link switches, Netgear routers, Intel on board, Intel PCI, Marvell on board, Realtek. Maybe you should also use the Devolo utilities to check if your powerline connection works. Surge protection etc. can easily prevent that type of connection.

Sincerely...
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alre90210 View Post
The 169.254.x.x indicates that your PC can't find a DHCP server and uses a self assigned address. Could you somehow supply a layout of your network?

Example:

Router
Port1 - Ethernet cable - PC 1
Port2 - Ethernet cable - PC 2
Port3 - Ethernet cable - Devolo adapter - power outlet in home office

PC 3 - Ethernet cable - Devolo adapter - power outlet ín living room

You can test connectivity of the home plug adapters by inserting it into one of the direct PC connections.

Port1 - Ethernet cable - Devolo adapter - power line - Devolo adapter - ethernet cable - PC 1

I use(d) Devolo Fast Ethernet with D-Link switches, Netgear routers, Intel on board, Intel PCI, Marvell on board, Realtek. Maybe you should also use the Devolo utilities to check if your powerline connection works. Surge protection etc. can easily prevent that type of connection.

Sincerely...
router
ethernet cable
devolo adapter
powerline
to to
devolo adapter devolo adapter Both PC's in home office
ethernet cable ethernet cable
Onboard Nforce Onboard Nforce
PC1 PC2

trying to connect PC 3 the same way only using FA311v2 and it shows limited connectivity, cannot see other pcs, network is setup correctly and shows in wireless. All the devolo adapters are attached directly to sockets.

Everything else works apart from the FA311v2 (and the broadcom gigabit ethernet onboard controller) Even if I could get the onboard controller working I would be happy.
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:39 AM
NETGEAR Expert

alre90210 is on a distinguished road

Limited or no connectivity is shown when the computer can't find a dhcp server and assigns one of these 169.xxx adresses.

Can you please run the Devolo utility on the Dell to verify that you can connect to the Devolo adapter and that you can connect to the rest of the world?

Please enter "ipconfig /all" on a command window of the Dell and post the result, maybe we can see something there.

I would recommend three more steps:

- check that the FA311v2 is set to Auto (or 100 full)
- try a different (known as working, on a power outlet know as working) Devolo adapter
- try connecting the Dell to a switch (router will do for testing purposes) to see if it connects

Look for yellow exclamation marks and disable ALL network adapters NOT needed, like the wireless, the broadcom in device manager.

If the FA311v2 fails to connect to the switch (see adapter and switch LEDs) I would recommend to bring it back to the store.

BTW: You can improve your network performance by connecting the PCs in your office to a cheap (gbit) switch and connect that switch with one Devolo adapter to the router. The Devolo technique shares the 200 mbit bandwith for ALL connected systems. So if you transfer files from PC1 to PC2 you consume lets say 180 mbit of that, leaving 20 mbit for traffic from PC3 to the router or NAS or printer. (These are just fictional values to clarify the text, no actual consumption numbers.)

Sincerely...
Old February 26th, 2009, 04:20 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

So this is not really, as the title suggests - FA311v2 cannot connect to DG834PN via Devolo 200 mbps plug adapter - but in reality - unable to connect to DG834PN through the Devolo 200 mbps plug adapter using two different network adapters.

I feel the first step is to move the Dell into the office and connect it in place of one the two PCs that are in there and known to connect through their Devolo plug adapters - if it connects, you remove the Dell and it's associated network adapters from the list of suspects. My expectation is that it will connect, but, if it doesn't you know where to focus your investigation.

Assuming that it does connect, my next step would be to move the Devolo into the office and see if it connects there - if it doesn't - you have a defective Devolo - if it does, you need to look at the power wiring to the third location.

Powerline networking has it's challenges - throughput and connectivity are affected by interference on the powerline, and that interference can be generated by any appliance connected to the line.
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:14 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for the advice, will try it out tomorrow.

I have tried different cables and different sockets in the living room to no avail and I am starting to think that the Devolo adapter is the problem.

alre90210, I used to use a netgear gbit switch between these two PC's, network connection was fine and speed was good when 1 machine had xp and 1 had vista, after switching both to vista the speed dropped to virtually nothing, after a week of hard going I opted to try the plugs and the speed was way above with a stable connection, the adapters hold their own IP address which makes port forwarding a very simple task. SP1 might have improved things but I am loathe to ditch a good fast network, I consider myself to be fairly computer literate and I now build my own machines but I hate networking with a passion because I don't totally understand it.

Will update you both tomorrow and many thanks for the advice.
Old February 27th, 2009, 03:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

The Devolo adapter is the problem (pc connected fine through another devolo on both the broadcom and netgear), thank you both very much for your help.