Old March 18th, 2009, 03:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

LinuxDude is on a distinguished road
Default DGFV338 Wireless Issues

I've recently bought the above modem/router and have installed that latest firmware. There is a major issue with the wireless connection dropping every few hours requiring a reboot of the router itself.

Since I'm an home-office IT worker I have better things to be doing than restarting what is essentially my lifeline whenever the so-called "wireless" router has one of its episodes.

Other threads on here have mentioned possible interference. Not the case. When I try cheaper routers (and by cheaper I mean 30 as opposed to the Netgear's 180 price tag!) the connection is perfect. I previously used the BT/2Wire Business modem without these connection issues, and have also tried the Thompson/O2 Box III and the Edimax Wireless ADSL2+ router (costing UNDER 30) and the wireless connections have all remained strong. The only reason I have chosen to use the Netgear modem is for its VPN / security benefits - none of which the others listed can offer.

I have recommended and installed this router at my clients' premises also - luckily they don't use the wireless, but now I'm beginning to wonder if I made the correct choice.

So.. is there a solution to the dropouts or will I be forced to return the router and replace it - and all future purchases - with another brand?
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:42 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DGFV338 Wireless Issues

Open the ticket..

https://my.netgear-support.com/myNETGEAR/ENG/login.asp
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:49 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

adit is on a distinguished road

Is it a wireless issue or is it a modem issue?

Which firmware are you running?
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:52 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Adit,

It's definitely a wireless issue - the internet connection itself never fails and all the wired machines stay connected.

Firmware Version: 3.0.4-19.1
ADSL Firmware Version: A2.00.61

Further to my original rant I've discovered that changing channels (usually from 13 to 12 and back again) restarts the connection. This is still not acceptable as it shouldn't be dropping at all. Having scanned the local area there are no other (visible) APs that are using these channels so I think we can definitely rule out interference - on top of what I said earlier about my other modems working without issue.

Since the rest of the router is working fine I've decided to splash out on a cheap (sub 50) wireless access point and disable the onboard wi-fi for now.

For the record NOT a happy Netgear customer.

I'll open a support ticket and hope that this can be resolved.
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

adit is on a distinguished road

Any cell towers nearby?

Had a customer last year who's Wireless-N went useless, even from 20 feet.

Turns out that Verizon put up a new antenna on the tower right next to them that killed their wifi connections.
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:31 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Adit, there is a tower a few hundred metres from the house - but it's been there a long time and the connection issues have only been limited to this router, which I've had for 12 days. As I said in earlier in this thread the other routers I've used in the 4 years I've lived here have had no wifi connection issues at all - which is what makes me think it's definitely a problem with this particular device.

I've used the Netgear WG602v1 AP in the past so I know Netgear can produce good quality wifi gear which, I suppose, is why I find myself so frustrated with this one. I've still got the old AP but I won't use it because the encryption is only WEP (despite early promises by Netgear that new firmware would upgrade the encryption to WPA!).

I'm going to hold off buying a separate AP whilst I monitor the connection for the next few days and wait for a reponse to my tech support request from Netgear.

Thanks for your replies so far.
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:39 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

seems like there more bug to the firmware since other AP do work fine