Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

tsolmi is on a distinguished road
Default 192.168.0.3?

I have a 834G v3 used on a single machine using Ethernet connection, not wireless. Recently my computer was reformatted and the router set up again.

Tonight Zone Alarm blocked an attempt to access Port 1074 on my computer by 192.168.0.3. I have presumed this is something to do with a local network connection, but as I have no such network, that does not make sense.

Please tell me what is happening and if my settings need altering and how to do it. It is not clear to me.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 192.168.0.3?

assuming you know current IP to the pc?
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I see in settings

ADSL Port
IP Address and Gateway IP Address

LAN Port IP Address. There is also another similar to the ADSL Port IP Address but the next number up from it

is the last one mentioned the one? Sorry to be so ignorant, but the router was set up for me originality.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

At a Command Prompt (Start, All programs, Accessories) type ipconfig /all, this will tell you the IP address that the router has allocated to your PC, if should be 192.168.0.(x).

If ‘x’ is a 2 then you may have someone else connected to your network. At the same Command Prompt try pinging a few IP addresses e.g. ping 192.168.0.1 (the router itself, should get a reply), 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4 etc. Or download a utility to scan the entire range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254, I use Network Scanner (it is free) http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

Is your wireless network enabled and if so is it secure?

There are a couple of programs that use port 1074 (there may of course be others);

http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=1074

Do you recognise them?

My name is Andy.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Did IP /config and it's 192.168.0.2 but as stated in OP my router is single, connected by Ethernet, and so there's no wireless network involved.

Have not recognised what came up in speedguide net. What type of concern is likely to use them, an ISP?

Have thoughts, do I need to adjust settings to operate "not wireless"
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:40 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

The reason I asked you to do the ipconfig check was simply to double check your computer’s IP address. If you personally are only using the router as a wired router, then you may be unaware if the person who set it up for you also enabled wireless, and it may well be that someone is using your wireless network without your knowledge. The Network Scanner tool that I linked to could be useful in finding if someone is using your network and can provide some details of their computer, but this will only work when they are active on your network.

Is the wireless indicator lit on the router? I recommend that you access the router settings at http://192.168.0.1 (you will need to log in, default is admin / password). Make sure wireless is disabled. If you cannot login because the default password has been changed then contact whoever set up the router, otherwise you may be forced to factory reset the router and then have to set it up again.

My name is Andy.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks, I've unchecked the Enable Wireless Access Point and there is no wireless light. If there is any more to do, no doubt you'll let me know.

I admire your patience in helping this tech challenged oldie.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolmi View Post
Thanks, I've unchecked the Enable Wireless Access Point and there is no wireless light. If there is any more to do, no doubt you'll let me know.

I admire your patience in helping this tech challenged oldie.
That sounds about right, but there could be a couple of things to do;

a) If the router password is still set to the default then change it (and write it down, even on a sticky label on the bottom of the router would be OK).
b) Set up wireless security even though wireless is currently disabled.

It would have been good to find out if someone was using your wireless connection, but it sounds like they probably were.

And no patience was required

My name is Andy.