Old April 6th, 2009, 09:45 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Basil1963 is on a distinguished road
Default Adding a notebook to an existing wireless network

Hi,

Just finished a clean install of Windows XP Hm after doing a complete Active-Killdisc.
I have a secure home wireless network that uses a Netgear WGT624 v2 router connected to my DSL modem....I've had this set up for years.
There is one desk top computer and one notebook computer that are currently working on the network.....the second notebook computer use to be connected to the network as well.
On the second notebook computer that I'm trying to set up ...I can veiw the available wireless network...I've click connect on my listed Network ....I've typed in the WPA-PSK Password ..have gotten a connected message....but keep getting a no IP Address warning, clicked on repair....but this has not helped.

I know how to log on to the NetGear access http://192.168.0.1 ...but I don't what to do next.

Could someone give my a step by step process of connecting a notebook computer to an existing wireless network?

Thanks in advance for help on this subject.

Basil
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adding a notebook to an existing wireless network

sometime driver for wireless adapter can cause issue since you just did clean install I would check there
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:13 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

If you are running a software firewall try disabling it. Also if you set up a MAC Access List in the router try disabling that.

My name is Andy.
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hi JMizoguchi & Mars Mug,

I turned off the WPA-PSK Password protection and refreshed the attached devices, re-booted everything and now the two notebooks and desk top all have IP and Mac addresses.

Can either of you or anybody else for the matter point me to a good tutorial on setting up the WGT624 V2 Router?

I remember having a tuff time setting it up a when I first bought it a few years back.

1. I'd like to make my network secure WPA-PSK protected again
2. I'd like to figure out how to access the other notebook and desk top computer in the network like I had been doing before the major cleaning.

Thanks in advance
Basil
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

The wireless security is simply a matter of selecting the type, e.g. WPA-PSK, and entering a keyphrase. Then when you scan for your network and connect simply enter the same key (don’t forget to write it down).

A couple of other things to do would be change the default SSID (Network Name) from ‘Netgear’ to something else only you will recognise (not your own name). Also change the default password for the router (and write it down).

Getting the computers sharing files has nothing to do with the router setup really, you need to run the home network setup wizard on each computer and give them all a workgroup name (not the default).

(Andy 1963)

My name is Andy.
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
The wireless security is simply a matter of selecting the type, e.g. WPA-PSK, and entering a keyphrase. Then when you scan for your network and connect simply enter the same key (don’t forget to write it down).

A couple of other things to do would be change the default SSID (Network Name) from ‘Netgear’ to something else only you will recognise (not your own name). Also change the default password for the router (and write it down).

Getting the computers sharing files has nothing to do with the router setup really, you need to run the home network setup wizard on each computer and give them all a workgroup name (not the default).

(Andy 1963)

Hi Andy,

When I go back and check the WPA-PSK protection and type in a 13 or more charater password in the Netgear access panel ..I can't connect even when I right click on my wirless network and type in the password... when I remove the WPA-PSK protection... I can right click the little monitor icon at the bottom of the screen, status, view wireless networks, click connect and than open up the browser. ONE ...thing I'm also finding is that after a few times of closeing the browser and re-booting the computer.....I have go into the wireless Network Connection Status tab and hit connect on my network to open of the browser. Is there away to tell Windows that this network is my default and it should always connect on this wireless network?

Thanks
Basil 1963

I now realise that sharing files is a windows set up ...not the Netgear router....the term Network get use alot...LOL
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
When I go back and check the WPA-PSK protection and type in a 13 or more charater password in the Netgear access panel ..I can't connect even when I right click on my wirless network and type in the password...
this could be the driver issue on wireless adapter or do not like to WPA, try WPA2

Quote:
have go into the wireless Network Connection Status tab and hit connect on my network to open of the browser. Is there away to tell Windows that this network is my default and it should always connect on this wireless network?
if you are using WZC (windows zero configuration) you can change setting so that it only allow your preference ONLY. if you do this you will have difficult other then you location (traveling). Also if you have too many other wireless (SSID) network then it may not connect as smooth
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Smile Re: Adding a notebook to an existing wireless network

Your gonna laugh.

I clicked on the wizard in the Netgear access point just for the heck of it and it renewed my PPOP info...even though it stated it was all there. I then set up my WPA-PSK protection and typed in password. Went to view wireless networks tab ...enter my password and this time everything is working.

Go figure ...I'm just glad I have a secure network and everything is working.

I need a beer!!... Heck...a shot and beer..LOL!!!

Thanks!

jmizoguchi and Mars Mug
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM

nothing better then you figure yourself... good job
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yeh....but it was just luck !

Thanks again...