Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

View Poll Results: How often do you reboot your router to regain network or Internet connection?
Once a week 0 0%
2 or more times a week 2 100.00%
Once a month 0 0%
2 or more times a month 0 0%
Never have to reboot 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 5th, 2007, 03:16 PM
NETGEAR User

My2Cent$ is on a distinguished road
Default Do you reboot your router to regain Internet connection?

In our effort for continuous improvement, NETGEAR is conducting a quick poll to learn more about the common issues that our customers are experiencing with some of the specific NETGEAR Home Wireless Routers. Please join us by taking a quick vote in this poll if you are using one (or more) of the routers listed below and are currently experiencing any of the symptoms listed below:

Routers:
Wireless-G: WGR614v6, WGR614v7
Super-G: WGT624v3
RangeMax: WPN824v2
N-Draft: WNR834B, WNR854T

Symptoms:
1) Intermittent loss of the Internet connection on a wired or wireless connected PC

2) Unable to obtain or renew WAN IP address from the ISP

3) Intermittent loss of LAN side connection, using wired or wireless connected PC

4) Router becomes unresponsive or locks

If you are currently experiencing any of the symptoms above and frequently need to reboot your router to regain access to the Internet, you may want to participate in a more in-depth study. You will join a select list of other NETGEAR users who will participate in this field study. Preference will be given to San Francisco Bay Area users. We may open this to a wider geographical location in the future.

If you would like to participate in this NETGEAR initiative, please complete the participation form by clicking on link below. You will be contacted by a NETGEAR representative for additional details and instructions.

Please note that this is voluntary. Due to an expected high number of responses, we will only be able to select the first 20 or so users from each product to join into this field study. Hurry, this is a first come first served basis project.

Last edited by My2Cent$; January 6th, 2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:22 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

acc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you reboot your router to regain Internet connection?

Using a WNR854T with the latest firmware 1.4.09 I found that I constantly have to reboot to get an IP after the wireless connection drops (which I may add is fairly often). and using WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption.

Accessing router with Airlink 101 Marvell Top Dog based PCMCIA card.

Turning off DHCP is not an option since I use this machine in two different environments.

Hopefully you guys can fix this up, because when it works, it works great. But when it's down it's just darn painful to disable, enable, network adapter, power cycle the router to get the wireless to work.

Wireless Zero Config has been turned off so it's not an interfering with that.

Any advice or firmware to help remedy would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Cent$ View Post
In our effort for continuous improvement, NETGEAR is conducting a quick poll to learn more about the common issues that our customers are experiencing with some of the specific NETGEAR Home Wireless Routers. Please join us by taking a quick vote in this poll if you are using one (or more) of the routers listed below and are currently experiencing any of the symptoms listed below:

Routers:

Symptoms:
1) Intermittent loss of the Internet connection on a wired or wireless connected PC

3) Intermittent loss of LAN side connection, using wired or wireless connected PC

If you are currently experiencing any of the symptoms above and frequently need to reboot your router to regain access to the Internet, you may want to participate in a more in-depth study. You will join a select list of other NETGEAR users who will participate in this field study. Preference will be given to San Francisco Bay Area users. We may open this to a wider geographical location in the future.

If you would like to participate in this NETGEAR initiative, please complete the participation form by clicking on link below. You will be contacted by a NETGEAR representative for additional details and instructions.

Please note that this is voluntary. Due to an expected high number of responses, we will only be able to select the first 20 or so users from each product to join into this field study. Hurry, this is a first come first served basis project.

Last edited by My2Cent$; January 6th, 2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:03 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

vachtel is on a distinguished road

Hi
I just got my WNR834B router, looks nice but having problem with the internet connection.
i'm losing the internet IP very often, i upgraded the firmware to the latest and nothing help.
Also when i'm using the up to 130 Mbps one of my wireless PC can't even see the wireless signal of m network
please advise
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:21 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

acc is on a distinguished road

before i fill a report to netgear i would like to do more testing on the two issues i'm experiencing with the wnr854t.

wireless 511t pc card connection via a notebook

the router stalls at times (leaving the computer on overnight (no file xfer happening),however the router does not respond to any web requests and I must power cycle the wnr854t to regain Internet connection. I've tried disabling + renabling the connection no go. It as if the router is no longer transmitting.

second issue is the router reboot itself when running bittorrent. i reduce the amount of connections to prevent this from occuring. this i believe can be resolved in a firmware update.

these are the two issues i'm contending with right now.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Andru is on a distinguished road

Yes. I have a similar problem. I occasionally lose my connection to the Pre-N gigabit router and need to pull the plug wait 20 seconds and plug it back in to regain my connection. This gets annoying after a while. I'm on a MacBook Pro 17" Core 2 Duo using Apple's onboard Pre-N solution. Any solution to this would be appreciated.
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:32 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

megaleprechaun is on a distinguished road

i was having the same problem with the router randomly dying on me, after about 4 months of use. i would come in and the routers power light would be orange instead of green and i couldnt access it and none of my network connections were active. i RMA'd the router and the new one has the same problem, with the exception of the power light doesnt go orange, it stays green and all the lights still show connectivity, but i cant access the router or internet. inputting static ips seems to have helped some, and i always disable SPI, but i called netgears tier 2 support (im a reseller) and they seem to think its a power fluctution issue. still giving me errors, if i find anything out, i'll post it here.
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Castafiore is on a distinguished road

Yes, several times a day and with every Netgear product I've owned (DG834G, WPN824v1, and now WNR854T). The issues have been different with all the models, but they all come down to the same thing: Constantly losing the connection.

The DG834G was supposed to be an ADSL2+ modem but it would drop the internet connection after only a few seconds if I tried anything over 8 MBit.

After that I got a 100 MBit FibreLAN connection and changed to a WPN824v1. It would constantly hang whenever I was using wireless and would not respond to anything except pulling out the power cord.

The WNR854T I've only had for two days, and the wired connection seems stable enough, but the wireless will often stop working after a while even with nothing connected over wireless. For example I can run my laptop wireless, then switch to wired, and when I try to use wireless again later I find that it's dead. Fortunately this doesn't require me to pull out the power cord, I can still access the router over wired so I can log on and restart it manually.

It's amazing that year after year, product after product and firmware version after firmware version goes by, but these fundamental issues never get fixed. After a while your product gets a V2 revision or is discontinued altogether, and once this happens you'll get no more firmware versions despite the fact that the old ones are still very buggy.

The most amazing thing of all is perhaps my brand loyalty -- I throw out one Netgear product and get a new one, stupidly thinking this time it will work. Only to find that while the hardware may be new, it's still the same old software and outdated configuration interface that's been there for many years. My WNR854T has exactly the same ancient port forwarding presets as my older routers (Age-of-Empire, Quake II, Netmeeting etc), indicating that Netgear doesn't have a clue what software or games is popular in this day and age.

Fortunately, routers are so inexpensive that you can't be bothered to get really angry over how poorly they work, or that they don't even have a power/reset button on the front despite the fact that you need to hard reboot almost daily... but I would gladly pay more for a product that actually worked flawlessly and came with guaranteed firmware updates for the next 3 years.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

grantw73 is on a distinguished road

This is the EXACT same thing happening to me with my WNR854t. It happens every day, and is extremely annoying. Doing it on two different laptops. Dell inspiron 1501 and 6400, as well as HP laptops. The router also tends to just lock up, stop responding to pings, login attempts, etc. This also happens on the router that my father owns in his home. Two of the same router model, multiple different computers, wired or unwired. Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acc View Post
Using a WNR854T with the latest firmware 1.4.09 I found that I constantly have to reboot to get an IP after the wireless connection drops (which I may add is fairly often). and using WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption.

Accessing router with Airlink 101 Marvell Top Dog based PCMCIA card.

Turning off DHCP is not an option since I use this machine in two different environments.

Hopefully you guys can fix this up, because when it works, it works great. But when it's down it's just darn painful to disable, enable, network adapter, power cycle the router to get the wireless to work.

Wireless Zero Config has been turned off so it's not an interfering with that.

Any advice or firmware to help remedy would be appreciated.
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:56 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

JesusSheep is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Do you reboot your router to regain Internet connection?

Using comcast.net router my Wnr834b the dhcp client is unable to locate the dhcp server. From my cable modem. Every time it fails.Why is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Cent$ View Post

Routers:

Symptoms:

Last edited by My2Cent$; January 6th, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

tobelem is on a distinguished road

Twice a day, and more... It is getting really anoying, please fix it ASAP!!!!:
Closed Thread