Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

tangerine0072000 is on a distinguished road
Default Can't connect to my GS105 at 1 gigbit

Just bought a brandnew GS105 5port switch. I have forced my PC (realtek nic) to use 1gigbit full duplex, but the fastest connection I can get is 100Mb. I am using Cat6 cables.

Anyone had this problem ?

thanks,

Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can't connect to my GS105 at 1 gigbit

I would look other people's thread who has similar issues. This is well discussed already
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

tangerine0072000 is on a distinguished road

I did a search but couldn't find any thing relevant. Have you got any links to threads ?

thanks,
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:25 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Jackô is on a distinguished road

If connected to other gigabit capable devices (other switches) or router you get the gigabit speed, then bring the GS105 back to the shop where you bought it....
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

sigmoid is on a distinguished road

I have been experiencing that problem with GS105 v2. 2 NICs (nvidia and realtek chipsets) and cat6 cables.

I contacted Netgear support sometime ago and after a session of troubleshooting the support engineer (at level 2), explained to me that the switch is NOT faulty, yet the switch may fail to establish the correct 1 Gbit speed, despite all components (eg. cabling, nics etc.) of the network being capable of. This is because, or so he said/speculated, is because the new nics have moved to PCI v2 technology and send packets to the switch in a way/at a speed that the switch have no means of establishing the right speed via speed auto-sensing.

They refered me to my retailer in resolving this and possibly ask the NIC manufacturers whether they have any solutions. Unfortunately, my retailer refused to take back the unit or replace it. I have sent the unit to them for testing and they reported that the switch works just fine. Well, of course they may have tested it with different or older nics and the problem may not have been obvious to them. I have not contacted the manufacturer of my nic(s), because I really believe this is NOT their fault, but of whoever advertises that their switches can auto-negotiate at 1Gbit; a far cry from reality.

Bottomline is that I am stuck with this switch and neither my retailer nor netgear have been very helpful. I am currently in the process of making a next step in this case; no, not for the money I paid, but just because it is wrong and intimidating to advertise and sell things that are known not to work as advertised, but still consumers are cheated like this (not even a warning, no small print, nothing ...).

If you are affected by the same problem please send me an email here: switchprob@ymail.com

If you are tech literate include in your email information about your network card chipsets, cable type and anything else that is relevant.
Old April 25th, 2009, 08:10 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Good luck with that sigmoid - and whilst I'm on the topic - don't forget to include Nvidia & Realtek and the manufacturers of the motherboards/NICs in your suit.

I'm not defending Netgear here - and for the record I also don't agree with the tech support's "speculation" on the PCIv2 technology - the simple facts of the matter are that not all NICs will successfully autonegotiate with all switches - the problem has been around since the early days of 100 mbit NICs.

I first came across this with 3Com NICs and Cisco Catalyst switches, and to make matters a little more challenging my NICs came as oem installed in some IBM desktops - because I had a few dozen NICs, and was considered a valued customer, IBM replaced the NICs under warranty.

You have to prove that Netgear (or Realtek, or Nvidia or the manufacturer of your particular hardware) knowingly misled you and the general public into thinking that the hardware autonegotiates when it doesn't - and all it takes for the respective manufacturer to repudiate your claim, is to show the court that the product successfully autonegotiates with one single NIC thereby establishing that the product works as advertised.
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:18 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

sigmoid is on a distinguished road

Where exactly did you read along the lines that I am taking legal action over a single network switch? I am trying to figure out whether this is a very widespread problem or it's just me.

As for whether netgear knows about this or not, well they seem to know it very well; at least their support engineers had an explanation for that. Of course as a manufacturer still selling these units like hot cakes, you don't go out recalling hundreds of thousands of units, do you? Or do you tell your resellers, so they withdraw the unit from their list?

In my opinion, their units worked until new technology was introduced. They just didn't bother taking action, either upgrading the units or notifying the consumers on their product description. I don't think these units will last much longer in the market at this state, and the reason is that people with that problem will start becoming more and more as they upgrade their hardware.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:28 AM

JasperE is on a distinguished road

The GS105 is also giving me headaches. Over time devices just wont connect at gbit anymore.

In my case I have to plug the network cable into a different socket on the switch before it will connect at Gbit again. If i plug it back into an 'old' socket on which it got stuck at 100mbit it will connect at 100mbit again. Only after unplugging the switch from the power adapter and plugging it in again it will connect at gbit on the ports that were stuck at 100mbit before.

I have this problem with several computers with NIC's from different brands running different operating systems using different gbit certified UTP cables.

Sounds like a switch hardware issue doesn't it?
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:49 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

darksky is on a distinguished road

Hate to necrobump this thread but I'm facing the same problem:

To PCs - both of which have Gigabit NICs - are connected to my brand new GS105. One PC is able to connect at 1000 Mbps while the other can only connected @ 100 Mbps. Network is all CAT5e from the same spool as another LAN I did where a GS108 there is powering all 8 PCs @ GigaLAN speeds.

Any suggestions are welcomed as to why I can only connect at 100 Mbps with this one machine to my GS105.

Here is the output from ethtool on the machine in question:

Code:
# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP ]
    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                            1000baseT/Full 
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                            1000baseT/Full 
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: Twisted Pair
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Supports Wake-on: pg
    Wake-on: g
    Current message level: 0x00000037 (55)
    Link detected: yes
By the way, if I force it to 1000 full duplex or half duplex the network dies
Old July 31st, 2010, 04:03 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

darksky is on a distinguished road

As an update to my previous post, this seems to be a known problem with the GS105:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ge=1&Keywords=

Is there a firmware solution or am I hosed?