Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:35 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Wicked is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR 3300 help with 2.5GHz to 5GHz

Hi and thanks to anyone offering a reading of this. I have the RangeMax WNDR3300 hooked up now for about 2 hours in my home. I chose this router to replace my faulty Belkin N1. My Xbox 360 has the ability to connect to the 5GHz network and the 2.4GHz network. When I first started the the Xbox It showed a full bars for connectivity to the 5GHz signal which I understand is faster if that is correct? 5 mins later my 5GHz signal dropped down close to red and my 2.4GHz had a full green bar signal. If the 5GHz is faster I want to use that for my Xbox. Should I put the 5GHz on a higher channel or does that even matter? If I am right in thinking the 5GHz is better because lack of interference then what do I need to do to tune in my 5GHz signal other than move my router around?

Shouldn't 5 pickup better than 2.5? Just kinda lost in the gaps here. Thanks for any guidance. Basically I want the most powerful wireless connection possible to my Xbox for gaming.

Thanks

Last edited by jmizoguchi; July 2nd, 2009 at 04:49 AM. Reason: wrong freq. change 2.5 to 2.4
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:44 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR 3300 help with 2.5GHz to 5GHz

2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are just the radio bands, they don’t dictate the data rates and you can operate at ‘N’ rates on either band with that router (but not ‘N’ rates on both bands at the same time).

5 GHz should give you less problems from wireless congestion, though that will eventually change as more people use it. However as the frequency of the signal is increased, its ability to penetrate things like walls is decreased. 2.4 GHz can actually penetrate walls better than 5GHz and so as you see, give the better signal strength. That’s just physics, not a specific issue with the router.

The WNDR3300 is a little limited in its dual band options, if you want to run at ‘N’ rates on the 2.4 GHz band you lose the 5 GHz band, if you use 5 GHz at all then 2.5 GHz is limited to ‘G’ rates.

One more thing, in an area where the router picks up signals from other networks it will automatically switch to using a single channel instead of two. This reduces its bandwidth and means that it can only hit 130Mbps maximum instead of 270 Mbps.

So on the 2.4 GHz band you would be lucky to reach 270 Mbps but will have a strong signal, on the 5 GHz band there’s a higher chance of reaching the 270 Mbps since there might not be other networks sharing the channels but will have a weaker signal. In both cases the signal strength/quality will cause the throughput to reduce. All you can do is try both and see how you get on, my preference would be for reliability and signal strength over speed.

My name is Andy.

Last edited by Mars Mug; July 2nd, 2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:53 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

2.4GHz has has better range than 5GHz

Also 2.4GHz has been most common and still is for wireless products. As 2.4Ghz gets saturated next available public frequency is 5Ghz. Although 5GHz by nature, it will not have same range then 2.4GHz but range within single household area should be covered and wether 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz will not make any faster in away. Both are up to 300Mbps in speed where the condition meets in your surrounding. Some dense area has more saturated 2.4GHz then using 5GHz will eliminate channel overlap
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for clearing that up for me.. Im still learning the product and so far seems pretty good. I have my router a floor below the devices having signal supplied to them. I have learned that moving my router 1 foot or so in either direction is making a big difference on my signal strength. Ill see what works.. Thanks for your help.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
Thanks for clearing that up for me.. Im still learning the product and so far seems pretty good. I have my router a floor below the devices having signal supplied to them. I have learned that moving my router 1 foot or so in either direction is making a big difference on my signal strength. Ill see what works.. Thanks for your help.
Rule of thumb is to located central location of the house then adjacent of the house
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have learned that moving my router 1 foot or so in either direction is making a big difference on my signal strength. Ill see what works.. Thanks for your help.
I tried explaining that to someone else in another thread recently but they just wouldn't believe me

My name is Andy.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
I tried explaining that to someone else in another thread recently but they just wouldn't believe me
people do not listen much here... they usually come here like they know all of it. haha
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
It certainly holds truth. I can even move the Xbox about 3 inches forward from the cabinet that holds it and it grabs a full signal strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
Rule of thumb is to located central location of the house then adjacent of the house
Yeah that would be ideal but the way my house is set up my main wired computer that the routher series with is in the basement. So the router has to be with it unless I pay extra to run 2 different modems in my house to my cable company. I can get satisfactory signal in all areas of my home (3 story counting the basement). I just want to play with things to get the strongest possible for the Xbox gaming to achieve good hosting of other games and minimal lag on my end. HA! I even got ingorant for a second and tried aluminum foil wrapped around my xbox antenna thinking it might have the same effect as it does on raidios.. Simply not the case, it absorb and killed the signal. Seems like if my xbox antenna was 3 inches longer it would grab some sort of amazing signal. It jumps back and forth from full bars to missing one bar of signal right now.. Not bad..
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
It certainly holds truth. I can even move the Xbox about 3 inches forward from the cabinet that holds it and it grabs a full signal strength.

Yeah that would be ideal but the way my house is set up my main wired computer that the routher series with is in the basement. So the router has to be with it unless I pay extra to run 2 different modems in my house to my cable company. I can get satisfactory signal in all areas of my home (3 story counting the basement). I just want to play with things to get the strongest possible for the Xbox gaming to achieve good hosting of other games and minimal lag on my end. HA! I even got ingorant for a second and tried aluminum foil wrapped around my xbox antenna thinking it might have the same effect as it does on raidios.. Simply not the case, it absorb and killed the signal. Seems like if my xbox antenna was 3 inches longer it would grab some sort of amazing signal. It jumps back and forth from full bars to missing one bar of signal right now.. Not bad..
most other option are to mod the xbox side wireless adapter to house external antenna.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I would have not look into that.. Not sure where I would start right now.. Sure the Seach Engines hold the answer.. Thanks