Old July 26th, 2009, 06:49 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

famu97 is on a distinguished road
Default SRXN3205 Drops Wireless Clients Regularly

My SRXN3205 drops my Wi-Fi clients on a regular basis and I don't know why. Sometimes wi-fi clients connect for days with no problem but sometimes it drops wi-fi clients several times in a short period of time.This happens on a regular bases & since day one this wi-fi router has done this. After opening a ticket and trouble-shooting with tech support I shipped the unit back to get the wi-fi chipset replaced (I think). Unit came back still doing the same problems. My wi-fi clients include a laptop, home theater pc (HTPC), wi-fi printer, & Nintendo Wii. All clients are within 30 feet of my wi-fi router. My laptop, wi-fi printer, & Wii connect via 802.11g & my htpc connect via 802.11n using a Netgear USB NIC (WNDA3100). My htpc that connects via the netgear usb 802.11n NIC does'nt even connect with good throughput - only 81Mbps, it that helpful info. That's lousy considering max throughput is up to 300Mbps. Wi-Fi router is configured for WPA2-AES 256bit using a pre-shared key (PSK). I've changed the key lifetime to 1440 mins. Advanced Wireless Options are at factory default. I have Access Control Lists enabled and all wi-fi clients connect up fine intially. I have changed my channel to 8 to avoid conflicts with other wi-fi networks in the area.

Any help as to why my wi-fi router drops the wi-fi clients regularly would be appreciated and a suggested fix for the problem would be even more appreciated.

Thanks
KT
Old July 26th, 2009, 07:48 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

adit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SRXN3205 Drops Wireless Clients Regularly

Which firmware are you running?
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:39 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by famu97 View Post
All clients are within 30 feet of my wi-fi router. My laptop, wi-fi printer, & Wii connect via 802.11g & my htpc connect via 802.11n using a Netgear USB NIC (WNDA3100). My htpc that connects via the netgear usb 802.11n NIC does'nt even connect with good throughput - only 81Mbps, it that helpful info.
81Mbps around 30-40ft is about right. I have WNDA3100 and WNR2000 gets about same result.

N router are much better at closer than legacy G.
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:27 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post
Which firmware are you running?
I'm running Firmware Version: 3.0.3-18
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:31 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
81Mbps around 30-40ft is about right. I have WNDA3100 and WNR2000 gets about same result.

N router are much better at closer than legacy G.
If that's the norm than it sucks considering I had a D-Link router before this one that had D-Link's proprietary Turbo-G and it connected at 108Mbps. Don't know what my actual throughput was but at least it registered a connection at that speed. My D-Link router never dropped my wi-fi clients and it's like seven or eight years old
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
If that's the norm than it sucks considering I had a D-Link router before this one that had D-Link's proprietary Turbo-G and it connected at 108Mbps. Don't know what my actual throughput was but at least it registered a connection at that speed. My D-Link router never dropped my wi-fi clients and it's like seven or eight years old
Turbo-G is same is Rangemax router which does 108Mbps and both are 802.11G

you can not really compare between G wireless and N routers. if you compare two different manufacture of N router will be more appropriate.

you will find most n router does not travel. go to rangemax next routers section and read few threads
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:07 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
Turbo-G is same is Rangemax router which does 108Mbps and both are 802.11G

you can not really compare between G wireless and N routers. if you compare two different manufacture of N router will be more appropriate.

you will find most n router does not travel. go to rangemax next routers section and read few threads
ant ideas on how to stop my wireless clients fron dropping?
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
ant ideas on how to stop my wireless clients fron dropping?
Quote:
I have Access Control Lists enabled and all wi-fi clients connect up fine intially. I have changed my channel to 8 to avoid conflicts with other wi-fi networks in the area.
important thing that you need to check is the channel usage if you are using 2.4Ghz band. You also need to test closer to the router and test if still the same.

1-6-11 is the choice on channel. rest of the channel can overlap and cause issues.