Old August 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jeck is on a distinguished road
Default WGT624 AS An access point

read netgear1-9a-z 1/29/07 article on the subject . have not had success in doing the setup.. I have an xp desktop using a wtg624 to connect to a cable modem to comcast.net .. an xp laptop, a vista desktop and an adapter from a TIVO box all go to the internet thru the router ..
I have asecond wgt624 which i tried to use as an adapter on the vista box ..
I think I set it up as per the article instructions ..
When i do this the laptop adapter locks on to the vista adapter and I have no connection direct from the laptop to the xp router or thru the vista wgt624 performing as an adapter and connecting to the xp wgt 624.. The normal adapter from the vista to the xp is disconnected during these efforts ..
I have not had any indication of making a connection from the vista to the xp using the 2nd wgt 624 as an adapter .. all security settings on all the routers and adapters are disabled at this time ..
Does anyone have a clue as to what i need to do to make this router do the job of a wi-fi adapter .Maybe I don't understand the difference between an access point and an adapter .. I'm assuming that they are the same .. maybe that's my problem ...maybe I have to feed the laptop to the vista using the access point and then feeding the info to the xp router using the adapter connection from the vista to the xp router .. .. TNX ... John
Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:10 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WGT624 AS An access point

both WGT624 must be V4 version to REPEAT

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1220

if you do.. follow this

http://www.unix.ms/netgear/

if you don't have V4, then you have to use 2nd WGT624 as client mode. there is hack for it. go to my site under technical doc page you will find it the file and instruction you can try.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I appreciate your help, but I fear you are technically about 6 feet over my head .. I downloaded the firmware you referenced .. It states not to use on v1, v2, v3.. My main device the one connected to the cable modem says it is v4.2.6_1.01 the case says v3,, similarly the one I attempting to use as an access point says firmware is v4 1.11_1.01.. and case says v3..
Is it safeto install the v4 2.0.13_2.0.15 firmware on these units.
am l;ooking at the other links you mentioned ,but , need to do a bit of study to understand their meaning.. TNX John
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeck View Post
I appreciate your help, but I fear you are technically about 6 feet over my head .. I downloaded the firmware you referenced .. It states not to use on v1, v2, v3.. My main device the one connected to the cable modem says it is v4.2.6_1.01 the case says v3,, similarly the one I attempting to use as an access point says firmware is v4 1.11_1.01.. and case says v3..
Is it safeto install the v4 2.0.13_2.0.15 firmware on these units.
am l;ooking at the other links you mentioned ,but , need to do a bit of study to understand their meaning.. TNX John
if bottom of the case says V3 then you have V3 model....
Old August 4th, 2009, 04:29 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks again .. Saearched thru the documents files .. a ton of education here . read some and printed some for spare time reading .. However, I came up short in finding the specific files you reference.. the hack and instruction for the wgt624 client setup,. i probably don't recognize it because it doesn't say " john this is what you are looking for " .... sorry for being a "PITA"
John
Old August 4th, 2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks again .. Saearched thru the documents files .. a ton of education here . read some and printed some for spare time reading .. However, I came up short in finding the specific files you reference.. the hack and instruction for the wgt624 client setup,. i probably don't recognize it because it doesn't say " john this is what you are looking for " .... sorry for being a "PITA"
John
go to my site. technical doc page and find "Netgear & Others Related" area and in PDF icon you will find it.
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:31 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

gOT THE INstuctions but the hack will not download from either the german source or your link .. I will try again later ... the site may just be unavailable at this time .. again thanks ... john
Old August 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
gOT THE INstuctions but the hack will not download from either the german source or your link .. I will try again later ... the site may just be unavailable at this time .. again thanks ... john
??????????????

there is a file from my site..

both File and documentation
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:00 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

http://rs150.rapidshare.com/files/43...lnetEnable.rar
finally got the file at the above link .. most otheres seemed to be broken ..
In doing the google thing I got to the guy that wrote the ionstruction and he listed about 6 links and indicated his original link was broken .. I tried about 5 of them until I used this one .. it didn't ask for your family history and worked pronto .. Maybe this will help your site info ... Thanks again ... John
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:09 AM

don't understand..

it's on my site

under "Netgear & Others Related"
  • How to setup WGT624v3 as Client Mode
  • Associated file required on this Doc

right click on red URL and download.. works just fine