Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old August 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cuttlefish310 is on a distinguished road
Default Can't get iPhone to connect to Wireless Network

My (old) WNR2000 Netgear router does a great job handling my own PC, wife's PC and a laptop buried under the cables under the desk somewhere!

Other than the to-be-expected loss of connection nit has proven very reliable over tghe years.

Now the proud owner of a new Apple iPhone 3GS, I have struck a hurdle insofar as the phone will not connect to the WiFi network even though it is virtually sitting on top of the router.

On the iPhone's network settings menu, the NETGEAR router shows up loud and clear with full strength signal.

As soon as I press on the "choose a network" link, the icon does it's little dance trying to connect but up comes the message "unable to join the network "NETGEAR"

To muddy the waters further, if I keep at it over and over again, it will make occasionally the rare connection but it will be lost once I start swapping applications on the phone. It will also not automatically search for the WiFi connection once lost.

So what is causing this network to be unavailable to my iPhone? I have done a master reset of the router and also reset the iPhone's network settings many (oh so many!) times.

Apple say it is Netgear causing the problem and my call to the latter Help Desk resulted in them telling me that Apple was the problem i.e. got nowhere with either of them.

Apologies to Mod if in the wrong forum (again)
Old August 9th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

sagada2008 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can't get iPhone to connect to Wireless Network

Check the wireless settings of the router. Make sure it is not on the default. Resetting the router will bring it back to the default settings. You can change wireless channel and the wireless security. You may start with no wireless security and check if that will resolve the issue. You can also select WPA PSK TKIP for the security.

To further isolate the problem you can try to connect the Iphone to any unsecured network available.
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:34 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Do not EVER EVER use "netgear " as ssid.. change this to unique name

use WPA+WPA2 encryption.

I still have 1st Gen...(crazy enough to buy at 599.00) and works fine on WNR2000
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:34 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Wrong area

moving to rangemanx next routers

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old August 9th, 2009, 07:06 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

WonnovMenny is on a distinguished road

Probably not what you wanted to hear... I am no expert but just wanted to let you know I also have iPhone 3GS and WNR2000 router, they connect first time and work great with no problems, so it is not a compatibility issue between phone and router.

Your router will have SSID (network name) and WPA key, you must ensure these are entered exactly matching the router into the iphone, using correct security type. BTW, I even have my SSID hidden on the router and the iPhone works no problem.

On the iPhone goto settings, touch Wi-Fi, and ensure that the Wi-Fi slider button is on. Your network name should be displayed below, touch the blue right arrow symbol next to your network name. Ensure that DHCP is highlighted in blue underneath IP address and HTTP proxy is off. Once done, you could also try touching the "renew lease" button.

Only problem I ever had with prev iPhone 3G or the 3GS was incorrect entry of the SSID or the network password/key.

One more thing.. Try changing your SSID from netgear to a different name, maybe you are trying to connect to a neighbors router.. I have 2 people close by me both using netgear routers with the default SSID.

BTW, there are various apps available from the app store (WiFi Trak, WiFiFoFum, Net Utility, Speed Test) which provide useful help with networking.

Sorry I could not be of more help, but as I said, I'm not expert, my experience of netgear routers is they have always just worked for me first time.
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:48 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

AndyT is on a distinguished road

I have an iPhone 3G and a Netgear DG834N modem /router and found that the iPhone will not connect if too close to the router. Take it to the other end of the house and the connection is strong and reliable.

Swannanoa, North Canterbury
New Zealand
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:20 AM

nmiller67 is on a distinguished road

I was having a horrible connection, if you wanted to call it that, with my Iphone 3GS using my WNDR3300 router. I was using WEP security and I could get it to connect but for some reason it might as well not have existed the performance was terrible.

The article on Netgear site for 'not being able to connect to BlackBerry' was all i could find on issues with smart phones and any routers. I went ahead and tried the steps and that did it for me. I now connect without any issues and I get super performance with my Iphone. The best performance I've had on any wireless router i've connected to.

So try it out and hopefully you'll experience the same results.

Article:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15943
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:00 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

hhefny is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with My iPhone 4, i tried every thing but still unable to join the network
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:52 AM

chad6573 is on a distinguished road

You must enter the login credentials in the wifi settings. goto settings/goto blue arrow on the network you want to add/scroll to bottom and turn on "Authentication" and enter username and password. when you add the network now it will ask you for your password. enter password.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:38 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

iPhone iOS wirless setting in blue arrow can able manually add SSID but using OTHER but if you clicK blue arrow SSID that you see, your option would've static ip set up, forget this network and proxy

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy