Old August 12th, 2009, 01:06 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

mavros is on a distinguished road
Default DGN2000 wired connection problem

Since a few weeks I have a problem with my DGN2000 NASReady NV+ connection which drives me crazy. The Wifi part works fine PC's and squeezeboxes connect without problems. The NAS also worked fine directly connected to one of the LAN ports.

A few weeks ago, after an over night power saving sleep, the NAS now refuses to connect. The NAS display states "No network link". It simply doesn't get an IP from the router's DHCP. It keeps trying but the LED of the port never gets green it blink very briefly and goes out again.

I already tried many things:
  • Setting a fixed address on the NAS
  • All types of starts of the NAS (power down, pull the plug, downgrade to previous OS 4.1.4)
  • Reserving the fixed address of the NAS on the router
  • Resetting the router and setting up my Wifi network anew

I checked the NAS LAN card by connecting directly to a PC. This works. It gets its stadard IP 192.168.168.168 without problems.
I checked the LAN port of the DGN2000 by directly connecting a PC to it and shutting down it Wifi. This works.

I now even tried to change my IP range of the network from the usual 192.168.0.xxx to 192.168.168.xxx to be within the subnet of the standard NAS address 192.168.168.168. Still the same error message.

One last observation: when I reset the router by pressing the two buttons while the power to the router is on, the DSL cable connected and the NAS connected to a LAN port (the power LED of the DGN blinks Red after this step) the NAS gets its standard address and the LED turn green. I thought I solved it but when I then shut down the router with the button and start again the power button light up green again, the Wifi functionality starts but ... my NAS LAN LED goes out again. No more network link.

I am rather desperate as all our music is on the NAS.

WHY DOESN'T THE ROUTER GIVE MY NAS AN IP!!
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DGN2000 wired connection problem

WRONG AREA

MOVING TO RANGEMAX NEXT ROUTERS

Quote:
Setting a fixed address on the NAS

Reserving the fixed address of the NAS on the router
If you ping the ip, do you get reply?
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:42 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Dear June Mizoguchi

I didn't realize I had a "next Maxrange router". Will you shift the thread? I don't have the correct rights to do so I think.

Any possible solution by the way?

Cheers
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavros View Post
Dear June Mizoguchi

I didn't realize I had a "next Maxrange router". Will you shift the thread? I don't have the correct rights to do so I think.

Any possible solution by the way?

Cheers
If you ping the ip, do you get reply?
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

When I tried out the fixed IP for my NAS I tried to ping using the router ping facility. There was no response from the NAS.

When I use the DHCP allocated IP I don't think I can ping as no IP is allocated yet.

One additional info which may or may not be relevant my provider suggested to use ATM (PPPoA) for this particular router. This works fine. Somewhat surprising PPPoE doesn't work although it does work with a standard low speed Zytel router.

I saw in one of your linked documents that there are several hard reset options. Just pushing the two buttons at the same time for 10 sec which is what I did or pushing more then 60 sec. with the power off or even more rigorous ways. Would one of these more rigorous methods be a recommended option for the DGN2000 or would this kill it?
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM

sounds like you got incompatible network that is used on NAS or verse versa.

I suggest to get different netgear wireless router.

do stand alone DSL modem in bridge mode and pick up standard wireless router instead.
Old August 14th, 2009, 05:19 AM

captainfranz is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
I have a much simpler network but the same problem with the DGN2000 wired connection.
As happened to Mavros, everything was working perfectly fine for me until a few days ago.
Then suddenly I got a "no connection" error message from my computer as if the cable was unplugged.
I tried different cables, different computers, different operating systems but it's still the same; I just cannot connect to the router. I also tried a manual setup instead of leaving it to DHCP, but it's still the same, I cannot even ping the router from the wired connection.
The corresponding LAN led sometimes blink at fixed time intervals, sometimes just stay fixed (sometimes looks like it's blinking regularly for traffic for a very short time).
I connected to the router through wireless and everything works perfectly; moreover, the computers attached with cable do not show up under "Attached devices".
I tried a factory reset but that didn't work either.
I am now under the idea that the hardware that manages the wired connection on the router is broken.
Any idea?
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:06 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

CaptainFranz This is good and bad news as finally someone has the same problem as have.

Someone on the ReadyNas forum advised me to try going to the control panel, admin tools, event viewer and seeing if you're getting some error messages. One kept cropping up to do with he Readynas(for you your PC) and Master Browser. If you then go to services if admin tools, you can disable the relevant network ones that could be causing the conflict.

I haven't been able to trace errors yet as my PC was not on at the time the NAS refused to connect. On the NAS I don't know where to find the detailed logs the event viewer shows.

Did you try to connect another PC than the one refusing to connect to the same port with the same cable? I did 3 weeks ago and everything seemed to work. So the router is not broken. There just is something in the network on the PC or router which causes a conflict or bloackage.

I still have my earlier question: does the router have a more rigorous reset than just pushing the two buttons for 10 seconds.
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I still have my earlier question: does the router have a more rigorous reset than just pushing the two buttons for 10 seconds.
see router reset on my sig below
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:55 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

After 3 weekends having tried to solve this problem I have given up on this device. As mentioned I repeated connecting several PC on the LAN ports and they work but with the Netgear NAS I get no IP.

By the way in Switzerland they have conveniently renamed the DGN2000 D-300 which is not surprising if you read all problems with the DGN2000 dumped under one thread on this Forum. A sad story!

I bought a Linksys and all works perfectly again. My Netgear NAS received an IP address immediately without having touched the settings which failed with the DGN2000.

Thanks for the support efort