Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old February 16th, 2007, 12:18 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

pga is on a distinguished road
Default settings

Hi Netgear, You have the best support I have met so far, BUT it can be better!
If Your support was perfect I suppose there is no need for all these questions.
I have WNR854T,RP614,GA511 och WN511T
1.I have stopped using my RP614v3 router, since I use 854T both wired and wireless. Bad or good from security and speed reasons?
2.when router and adapter connects some handshaking procedure takes place. Is it a udp conversation or what!Can my firewalls stopp this handshake dialogue?
3.when I configure my router I do it wired for security reasons. But the blue lamp on the router is on. If I logon to the router, disable the wireless radio, and then change SSID, passphrase etc, am I more secure then? That is to say, when the blue lamp is on, then I am in a more unsecure mode, or?
When surfing wired and the blue lamp is on is it more unsecure than when the blue lamp is off?that is can someone log on to the router and see my internet surfing?
what happens if I by mistake connects my LAN cable from adapter to router in the internet port of the router?
4.My wireless connection speed to internet seem to be 54 Mbps.My wired connection spped is 1 Gbit/s to the router(RP614 gives 100 Mbps).wired connection to internet I do not know, but my ADSL connection gives at most 24 Mbit/s.What can I achive?
5.when I configure my wireless profile it can be saved somewhere. Where is it saved? Since I have XPP I can encrypt this file, or is it encrypted by default?
6. When using the smart Wizard, the WPA2 passphrase is visible until I press Apply. Is that an unsecurity?
7.Is VPN more secure than WPA2-PSK? Better?
8. I want to use my laptop "on town", that is without my router.If I log on to unsecured networks I find, is my laptop then unsecured or can I do something in my settings to improve security?Should I use Ad Hoc?
9.is my router part of my LAN or is it outside my LAN? If it is inside I suppose settings in Internet Explorer/tools/internet alternatives/security should be in LAn and not internet, or both?
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:25 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Netgear1-9A-Z is on a distinguished road
Default Re: settings

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I will try to attempt to answer some of your questions but most of the questions you ask are not exclusive to Netgear. One thing about the internet is that you have access tons of info, if you search. Try using www.google.com .

1. Using the WNR854T is an upgrade. It has a more advanced firewall and allows for faster speeds both on the wired and wireless with the appropriate adapters.
2. The router and adapter connect using TCP. You can stop the handshake between the router and wireless computers by securing the wireless network. Then a wireless adapter will need the security key to connect to the network.
3. If you have no intent to use the wireless portion of the router, then disable it. If you want security while having wireless, then secure it. If you have an unsecured wireless network, anyone can connect to it and be apart of your network.
Don't plug your NIC into the internet port of the router. The two devices will not communicate.
4. Not sure if you will get 24megs through the router. Usually there is some degradation because of the SPI firewall and NAT. Run a speed test to see what speed you are getting.
5. The profile is saved within the wireless utility. Whether you use XP or Windows.
6. The key is visible until you apply it to make sure that you are correctly typing in the key. It can be a security risk if someone is over your shoulder looking at the key.
7. VPN and WPA2 are not in the same category. VPN is for connecting over the internet and WPA2 is used to secure your wireless connection to your local network.
8. To connect to a wireless router or access point, you need to use infrastructure not ad-hoc. Once you are connected to the network, your laptop can be vulnerable because other computers on the network can gain access to your network resources unless permissions are set to block access to them.
9. Your router helps keep your LAN protected from intrusions from the internet by using NAT and SPI but once an outbound connection is established that computer has a backwards channel back to your computer. You can use your Internet Explorer Settings to prompt you about types of connections you want allowed going out and in.
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pga View Post
Hi Netgear, You have the best support I have met so far, BUT it can be better!
If Your support was perfect I suppose there is no need for all these questions.
I have WNR854T,RP614,GA511 och WN511T
1.I have stopped using my RP614v3 router, since I use 854T both wired and wireless. Bad or good from security and speed reasons?
2.when router and adapter connects some handshaking procedure takes place. Is it a udp conversation or what!Can my firewalls stopp this handshake dialogue?
3.when I configure my router I do it wired for security reasons. But the blue lamp on the router is on. If I logon to the router, disable the wireless radio, and then change SSID, passphrase etc, am I more secure then? That is to say, when the blue lamp is on, then I am in a more unsecure mode, or?
When surfing wired and the blue lamp is on is it more unsecure than when the blue lamp is off?that is can someone log on to the router and see my internet surfing?
what happens if I by mistake connects my LAN cable from adapter to router in the internet port of the router?
4.My wireless connection speed to internet seem to be 54 Mbps.My wired connection spped is 1 Gbit/s to the router(RP614 gives 100 Mbps).wired connection to internet I do not know, but my ADSL connection gives at most 24 Mbit/s.What can I achive?
5.when I configure my wireless profile it can be saved somewhere. Where is it saved? Since I have XPP I can encrypt this file, or is it encrypted by default?
6. When using the smart Wizard, the WPA2 passphrase is visible until I press Apply. Is that an unsecurity?
7.Is VPN more secure than WPA2-PSK? Better?
8. I want to use my laptop "on town", that is without my router.If I log on to unsecured networks I find, is my laptop then unsecured or can I do something in my settings to improve security?Should I use Ad Hoc?
9.is my router part of my LAN or is it outside my LAN? If it is inside I suppose settings in Internet Explorer/tools/internet alternatives/security should be in LAn and not internet, or both?

Hi again and thank You for the good answers.
My comments:
2.The handshake and furthor contacts between router and adapter maybe uses special ports. If so, all other ports can be closed in the laptop. what ports are used? Can UDP be blocked totally? can the security key really "open" these firewall settings?
8.Permissions are set to block..Permissions can be set in XPP, but they can easily be set wrong even for an expert, I recon!Better to use the firewall or IE maybe. If You know the IP-number of a router traffic can be stopped going out from Your laptop to other IPs but how to stop the router from connecting You, when I have to go through that router, that is, how to stop the backwards channel?

New Qustion:
1.Since Windows ordinary WLAN is not used by the Netgear adapter, I suppose the adapter has it's own WLAN? And it's settings is seen in Control Panel/System? How can these settings be best modified?
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:08 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have trouble installing Netgear WN511T correctly since I used the bult-in Windows XP set-up for threadless installations, and now it seems hard to uninstall. How is the way to do it?