Old September 8th, 2009, 06:51 PM

v21admin is on a distinguished road
Default Wan IP Address will not change

Setting up wgr614 with new motorola cablev modem with new mac address. Now what is suppose to happen once the isp recognizes the new mac address the a new dynamic ip address will be given. In this case that did not happen and the old IP address of the old modem shows up. Is this ip address fixed to the device?
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wan IP Address will not change

WRONG AREA

MOVING TO Super-G (108 Mbps) & 802.11g (54 Mbps) Routers

CABLE MODEM will usually release same IP for long period on each mac address. ONLY way is mac spoofing under basic setting under router interface and use PC's mac address

if you are getting keep ban or something for the reason you need do this is then you will ONLY get different IP is to keep using different mac address but that will not work if you only have 2 PC... you will run out of changing IP.
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

sagada2008 is on a distinguished road

Hi v21admin,

It is possible that the modem and the router are not synch. Here are the steps that you may try:

a. Please open any web browser like Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
b. Connect to the router by typing http://routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm or http://192.168.1.1 in the address field and click Enter or Return key.
c. The default username is "admin" and the default password is "password".
d. Click on Basic Settings under Setup tab.
e. Select No for Does Your Internet Connection Require A Login?.
f. Scroll down on the center page and look for the Router MAC Address section. Set it to Use Computer MAC Address and click on the Apply button.
g. Go to Router Status under Maintenance tab and check if there is an IP address for the Internet Port. If it's 0.0.0.0, do a power cycle:

g.1. Power off the modem, router and computers.
g.2. Turn on the power of the modem first and wait for it to initialize, the lights to stop blinking.
g.3. Power back the router and the computers. Check if it will be able to get online.
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:28 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by v21admin View Post
Setting up wgr614 with new motorola cablev modem with new mac address. Now what is suppose to happen once the isp recognizes the new mac address the a new dynamic ip address will be given. In this case that did not happen and the old IP address of the old modem shows up. Is this ip address fixed to the device?
There is a difference between "what is suppose to happen" and "what normally happens".

Yes - in most cases - when DHCP is being used to assign an ip address, if a request is made from a different MAC address, a different ip address will be offered, so it is normal to see the ip address change - however - if this does not happen, it does not mean there is a problem, it's actually going to be determined by the circumstances (and settings) at the ISP end.

NOW - let's look very carefully at your post - you're using the same WGR614 with a new cable modem. It is the WGR614 that is requesting the ip address - not the cable modem - so the request is coming from the same MAC address and depending on the ISP settings and availability of addresses, the same ip address is quite normal.
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:47 AM

What is the same it the Netgear Wireless-G Router WGR614 with latest firmware upgrade. I know other access points pickup a new internet port ip address once a new mac address is recognized at the opposite end. In this case the modem for the isp is brand new with a mac address. However, if I plug-in directly with a laptop or standalone the internet port ip address does change. This has me a bit baffled but I am able to get on the internet unless I decide to wipeout the existing ap and install openwrt?
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
What is the same it the Netgear Wireless-G Router WGR614 with latest firmware upgrade. I know other access points pickup a new internet port ip address once a new mac address is recognized at the opposite end. In this case the modem for the isp is brand new with a mac address. However, if I plug-in directly with a laptop or standalone the internet port ip address does change. This has me a bit baffled but I am able to get on the internet unless I decide to wipeout the existing ap and install openwrt?
you must turn the modem off before ANY device can hook up in order to get IP from ISP.
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:35 PM

I followed these instructions and it worked:

It is possible that the modem and the router are not synch. Here are the steps that you may try:
a. Please open any web browser like Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
b. Connect to the router by typing http://routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm or http://192.168.1.1 in the address field and click Enter or
Return key.
c. The default username is "admin" and the default password is "password".
d. Click on Basic Settings under Setup tab.
e. Select No for Does Your Internet Connection Require A Login?.
f. Scroll down on the center page and look for the Router MAC Address section. Set it to Use Computer MAC Address and click on the
Apply button.
g. Go to Router Status under Maintenance tab and check if there is an IP address for the Internet Port. If it's 0.0.0.0, do a power cycle:
g.1. Power off the modem, router and computers.
g.2. Turn on the power of the modem first and wait for it to initialize, the lights to stop blinking.
g.3. Power back the router and the computers. Check if it will be able to get online.

Thanks!
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Wan IP Address will not change

awesom... have a fun
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:27 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I followed these instructions and it worked:
Fordem was right of course, the MAC address reported to ISP equipment is the address of whatever is connected to the modem (after a power cycle of the modem), and that is the router which has not changed.

So when you say it worked all you really did was change the MAC that the modem saw by using the router option to clone the PC MAC. I'm not sure what the point was though, was there a specific need for a new IP address?

My name is Andy.

Last edited by Mars Mug; September 9th, 2009 at 10:36 PM.