Old September 10th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Skarek is on a distinguished road
Default WNR2000 wired router connection comes and goes

I bought a WNR2000 last week. Connected to my router are 2 things. A WII (wireless, workes fine, but a bit slow, maybe the WII is slow, nothing to compare with) and my computer connected by wire.

In my opinion everything seems to be setup well. All in all it seems to work. But...

My problem is that on my computer the connection to the router seems to come and go all the time. I don't notice the drops in connection. I only see the classic windows XP "you lost the connection" and some second later "you are now connected..." pop ups in the task bar. Really irritating. Still, My miranda (MSN & ICQ client) does not loose the connection, FTP transfers does not seem to go down and chatting does not kick me out. So I get the feeling that the connection isn't really down... I just get the popups.

The FTP have not really any traffic and I just fixed the port forwarding as I wrote this. So the problem should not be to that. I just asked a friend to test it to see if the connection would go down when I got the "lost connection"-messages. Which it didn't.

I run a newly updated Avira AntiVir Antivirus (with constant guard mode on and total system scans 2/week) and Kerio Firewall. I also run a Adaware-scan every week. I don't really act like a moron with new files. So I get the feeling that a virus would not be able to infiltrate too easily.

Anyone have any ides what can be the problem? I'm getting really annoyed with all popups all the time.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

me_grimlock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNR2000 wired router connection comes and goes

There could a few thing happening on the computer and possible the router as well. but check the computer first

try to disable any other network adapter that you have on the computer. You may also want to uninstall and reinstall your network adapter.

lower down the speed of the adapter. change this to 10 half duplex.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Have no other adapters than my Ethernet network card. It worked fine until I added the router. Have had the Internet connection directly connectedto mycomputer without router or switch before.

Should it not support full duplex? Or is that just to test? What if half duplex fixes it? Do I have to stick with that? I have a full duplex Internet connection (or so my provider claims at least)...
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:12 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

other than "you lost the connection" and some second later "you are now connected..." error, do you loose connection to surfing etc ?

it seems the DHCP of the router release with DHCP timeout. see the event viewer and check what you see
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:39 AM

I don't seem to loose the connection. I notice nothing wile surfing or as I wrote. MSN, ICQ FTP etc does not loose connection.

The "you have lost connection"-messages appear whenever. I see them from my sofa while the computer is idle also. I don't have to actively use the connection myself (but ICQ & MSN should do it all the time) or have high data load on it.

I switched to half duplex as stated above and has not seen any errors since then (might just be one of the nice periods without the irritation popups). This seems to be a quick fix, but I don't really like to get stuck with it. If you have full duplex you wish to use it .

The "event viewer", is it the "Logs" you mean or are there some option I haven't found? What shall I look for. I find nothing intresting in the logs except some random LAN accesses (guess ICQ/MSN etc.) and this:
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Thursday, September 10,2009 19:13:14
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.3] to MAC address "My WII:s MAC", Thursday, September 10,2009 19:12:58
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.3] to MAC address "My WII:s MAC", Thursday, September 10,2009 19:10:58
[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.2 Thursday, September 10,2009 19:10:42

(I have cut out all the LAN accesses and removed the mac on my Wii)

192.168.1.2 is my computer (wired). 192.168.1.3 is My Wii (wireless).
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:25 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

shoot the info to support. interesting that half duplex works better
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

If you have a wired connection to the router, and Windows is giving you those "you have lost the connection" popups, then you need to check the wire.