Old October 20th, 2009, 06:46 PM

AssetHound is on a distinguished road
Default Connecting to 5GHz

OK. I have separate SSIDs and passwords for 2.4 and 5.0 set up. My laptop can only see the 2.4 and will connect to it just fine. I have a wireless profile set up on the laptop for the 5.0 but it doesn't show up on the list of available networks and I can't connect to it. I'm new to wireless.

I'm using XP on a laptop with a Linksys wireless N notebook adapter card (dual band). The router isn't connected to a computer directly. I don't broadcast SSIDs but I've entered the SSID and the adapter card should see it. Everything on the modem is operating correctly (i.e., lights and all).

Shouldn't I see the 5.0 and be able to connect to it?

Thanks.
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Connecting to 5GHz

broadcast the SSID and try. some network adapter do not like hide the broadcast the SSID
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:06 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

A lot of people confuse Wireless ‘N’ with 5GHz.

Wireless ‘N’ will work on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and a wireless ‘N’ adaptor or router can be single band (2.4GHz) or dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz). Perhaps your laptop adaptor is wireless ‘N’ single band 2.4GHz only.

Hiding SSIDs is pointless and leads to problems. Many adaptors will see a ‘blank’ SSID network and list it, some will not, those that will not could lead the users to select an inappropriate channel leading to problems for both of you. Removing the SSID broadcast does not hide the SSID, it can still be seen, and adds nothing at all in security to an already encrypted network.

My name is Andy.

Last edited by Mars Mug; October 20th, 2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
A lot of people confuse Wireless N with 5GHz.

Wireless N will work on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and a wireless N adaptor or router can be single band (2.4GHz) or dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz). Perhaps your laptop adaptor is wireless N single band 2.4GHz only.

Hiding SSIDs is pointless and leads to problems. Many adaptors will see a blank SSID network and list it, some will not, those that will not could lead the users to select an inappropriate channel leading to problems for both of you. Removing the SSID broadcast does not hide the SSID, it can still be seen, and adds nothing at all in security to an already encrypted network.
I
Quote:
'm using XP on a laptop with a Linksys wireless N notebook adapter card (dual band)
don't forget that...
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:22 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Yes I know, but Ive seen several other people on the forums referring to a 2.4GHz B/G and N adaptor as Dual Band. It might help to know the model number of the card.

My name is Andy.
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
Yes I know, but Ive seen several other people on the forums referring to a 2.4GHz B/G and N adaptor as Dual Band. It might help to know the model number of the card.
been not internal. I think he probably do have dual band. I would a totally agree for internal we seen that issues before.. will see
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:20 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Layer7 is on a distinguished road

There are two things to consider:
1. The order in which your wireless networks are listed in Windows matters. If the 2.4GHz one is above the 5GHz one in the list, then the PC will try to connect to the 2.4GHz network first and, if successful, will stay connected to it. You may want to move the 5GHz connection above the 2.4GHz one.
2. The 5GHz signal is significantly weaker than the 2.4GHz signal. Although your PC may see both the networks, it may decide to connect to the 2.4GHz one becuase it doesn't deem the 5GHz signal strong enough. Try bringing the PC closer to the router and see if it makes a difference.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
NETGEAR Expert

jerry66 is on a distinguished road

if it is the linksys wusb 600n or the 600n express card try with ssid not hidden , my usb 600n works well on the 5 ghz band , but the range is not great , can't get a 5ghz signal in the basement of my house 2.4 ghz band is fine down there