Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Closed Thread

Old November 6th, 2009, 10:03 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ethrex is on a distinguished road
Default Same SSID for 2.4 and 5GHz?

Hi, what is the preferred configuration for the two bands in the router? It seems the default SSIDs were NETGEAR and NETGEAR_5G. But I noticed that the router allows the SSIDs to be the same. If they are the same, will Windows automatically handle the situation?

Speaking of Windows, what is the best way to add both wireless networks? Is it to add the 5GHz as the preferred but then add 2.4GHz as the backup?

Thanks!
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:55 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Same SSID for 2.4 and 5GHz?

Iíve been to hotels where the same SSID is used throughout the complex, sometimes seeing about 8 access points with the same SSID. Windows will have no problems with two networks using the same SSID. I advise you not to use SSIDs that will identify you or the router brand that you use, and definitely donít stick with default SSIDs.

Choose the best performing network as the preferred network.

My name is Andy.
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

KGB7 is on a distinguished road

I prefer to have different SSID for each band, that way i know what is what, and not try to connect to 5Ghz band with a 2.4ghz adapter. Thus avoiding a head ache of trouble shooting why i cant connect to my router.

Name it Bob for 2.4ghz band and Bob5 for 5ghz band. Simple.

And if you have multiple routers through out the house, then router one will be Bob1 and Bob5, second router is Bob2 and Bob5.2.
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:42 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
..... and not try to connect to 5Ghz band with a 2.4ghz adapter.
That would not be possible, the 2.4GHz adaptor will not see the 5GHz signal.

But I agree, if you are not running a hotel or guest house with multiple access points then itís better to have different SSIDs.

My name is Andy.
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:00 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Actually I would go the other way - if it's one network, regardless of the number of access points or frequency bands in use, I would use one SSID - one network, one SSID.

Oh - for what it's worth, I would strongly suggest you stick with one network, one router - multiple routers in what is intened to be a single network are more grief than anything else - that's probably why KGB7 has to use different names - he needs to troubleshoot stuff. If you need multiple access points to cover a large area, then use access points, not routers - sure routers are cheaper, but unless you know what you're doing, you're just creating a headache for yourself, and it's only cheaper when you ignore the value of your time.

Windows is quite capable of managing multiple wireless network connections by itself provided the network has been properly implemented.

Multiple access points with the same SSID and encryption keys will allow roaming - you don't need to know which access point you've connected to - Windows will automatically select the one with the strongest signal, AND hand over to to the next one if you move from one "service area" to another.

The same goes for dual bands on a single access point (or router) if you're using a dual band client - it will connect to the strongest signal in a given area, and switch bands as required.

By the way - I don't see a point to running both bands on a single network - unless you have compatibility issues with older equipment.

If you're running both 2.4 & 5GHz and you have a dual band client, the probability is that it will connect on the 2.4GHz band and not on 5GHz because the greater attenuation that occurs at 5GHz will almost always guarantee a stronger signal on 2.4GHz.
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:38 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

if you run multiple AP (8x) in 2.4Ghz, make all AP unit with SSID will make network that can be roaming while moving around.

in same token, 5Ghz is different frequency so should not effect by same SSID since unit with 2.4Ghz pc will not able to read 5Ghz at all. But for the sake of identifying easier, use different SSID name
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

KGB7 is on a distinguished road

@fordem

Access Points are routers as well. Having separate SSID, makes it easier to trouble shoot an issue when there is an issue with out any guess work.

And you are not creating any grief what so ever if you set it up properly from the get-go. I have 3 routers, one of them is the main AP, second is Client Bridge and third router is Bridge Repeater.

None of us live in same exact environment, thus many of us need different implementation of hardware, thus more then one router or AP is required for best coverage at all times. Just because Netgear came out with the best home grade consumer grade product, does not mean it will do everything in every once house, many as my self require more then one.

@Mug.

Thanks, i wasnt thinking that 2.4 wont see 5.
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
Access Points are routers as well
No sir - they are not.

A router is a device used to join to networks together so that they can communicate with one another, whilst still remaining separate networks - the most common example of this is the broadband router that you're probably using right now.

It connects your home network to the Internet so that you can use the Internet from your home network, but even though the two are connected, they still remain separate networks.

A wireless access point is a device used to "extend" a wired network wirelessly - the wired network and the wireless network are one single network.

A wireless router is a router with an access point built in to the same "cabinet" - your wireless router will have two wired networks, one that has a wireless "extension" and one that doesn't.

Quote:
None of us live in same exact environment, thus many of us need different implementation of hardware, thus more then one router or AP is required for best coverage at all times. Just because Netgear came out with the best home grade consumer grade product, does not mean it will do everything in every once house, many as my self require more then one.
I'm guessing you didn't read my post properly - I suggested one router, one network - and if necessary multiple access points - I too, live in a home that is too large to be properly covered by a single wireless access point, but, I only have one router, because I only need one router.

Last edited by fordem; November 7th, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ethrex is on a distinguished road

If both bands have the same SSID, how can I tell which band Windows is connected to? I am using Windows 7.

Regarding the discussion of multiple access points and using routers as access points, I have a large house and am interested in extending the network upstairs for better connections upstairs. I would like to install a physical cable from the router going upstairs where I would like the access point to extend the wireless network. Is there a good dual-band access point which can extend both bands?

Thanks!
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethrex View Post
If both bands have the same SSID, how can I tell which band Windows is connected to? I am using Windows 7.

Regarding the discussion of multiple access points and using routers as access points, I have a large house and am interested in extending the network upstairs for better connections upstairs. I would like to install a physical cable from the router going upstairs where I would like the access point to extend the wireless network. Is there a good dual-band access point which can extend both bands?

Thanks!
that is why it would be easier to use two different SSID name 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

you will nee to take unit like WNDR3700 as an access point setup instead.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Closed Thread