Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old November 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jpshahan is on a distinguished road
Default WNR3500: Getting new computer and want it to be the router admin machine

I plan on getting a new Window 7 pc in the next month and I want it to be the machine that adminsters the router instead of (or in addition to) the one I'm using now (Windows XP).

I plan to connect the new pc to the router with a standard (non-wireless) lan adapter and install a wireless adapter in the old pc so it can still connect to my WNR3500.

Is there a knowlege base article that will walk me through changing admin machines or can you provide that information?
Also, will Windows 7 present any known issues?

Thanks much for your help.
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNR3500: Getting new computer and want it to be the router admin machine

WRONG AREA
MOVING TO RANGEMAX NEXT ROUTERS

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=41980
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNR3500: Getting new computer and want it to be the router admin machine

There’s nothing special you need to do. The router does not care which machine is used to access its configuration, there’s only one rule that just one PC can do this at a time, so you either have to remember to log out when accessing the admin pages, or power cycle the router if you forget. Just because you used a particular PC to set up the router that doesn’t make that PC in any way special.

My name is Andy.
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:19 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

First, thank you very much for the quick and comforting response but my second question was missed. Here is some more detail.

My router is v1.

I saw that WNR3500v2 is the supported version for Windows 7.

My new computer is going to be Windows 7.

My v1 router is only six months old.

Is my new Windows 7 machine going to work as an administrative machine for my v1 router?
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:56 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Usually when the router details refer to compatibility it means compatibility of the setup CD. You have already set up the router and in any case it’s quite easy to set up a router manually without using the supplied setup CD.

Once the router is set up then provided the operating system uses standard TCP network protocols (which Windows7 does) then the router doesn’t care what is connected to it. In my house I have a variety of devices connected to the router such as digital photo frames, media servers and clients, NAS drives, Network I/O, IP cameras. These all have different built in operating systems, or even no operating system at all, but because they all use standard protocols then there’s no problem.

Occasionally we see some issues with older routers not supporting IPv6 and sometimes there are little quirks like problems with power save modes in some adaptors, but these can all be worked around. In your case I would not expect any problems at all. You can change / swap adaptors as you describe, but all the effort is at the PC end, nothing needs to be done with the router. Once the PC is ready it can join the already created network set up by the router.

For admin you can use any PC you like that’s on your network, as I say the only restriction is that only one PC can manage the router at any time, so if you plan to switch from one to the other either log out from the admin pages, or power cycle the router.

My name is Andy.
Old November 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

It sure is nice to get such an informed thorough response.

Would it make sense for me to go ahead and download the cd software for the WNR3500v2 that is specific to Windows 7?
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:09 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpshahan View Post
Would it make sense for me to go ahead and download the cd software for the WNR3500v2 that is specific to Windows 7?
From your initial post I have assumed that you already have the router set up, in that case the last thing you want to do is re-run the setup process needlessly. By all means download the latest CD setup software for future use, but from what I understand of your setup, you will not currently need it. In any case, many people with just a little bit of experience in setting up routers stop using the setup CD and complete the process manually, and that way you get a much better understanding of how the router works and how to change its configuration.

My name is Andy.
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:45 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

In order to view/change the configuration manually as you are describing, do I simply run the url in a browser on any machine in my network (only one machine at a time, like you said)?

The url being http://www.routerlogin.com/start.htm?

Assuming I guessed correctly, how it is that a www address would know to hit the router on my local lan?
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:37 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Yes, and you can also access by the IP address of the router e.g. http://192.168.1.1

The router, if it is set up as your gateway which is the normal setup, will intercept the URL and give you access to the configuration pages. These are simply HTML format pages stored/created by the router itself and this method of configuration is common to almost all networking devices from any manufacturer. In fact, you can access the router settings even when the router is not connected to a modem or the Internet.

By the way, I would not expect you to need to make any changes if simply adding a PC to the network.

My name is Andy.

Last edited by Mars Mug; November 8th, 2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:22 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Can ALL the connected pcs and printers be wireless or does at least one need to be "land based" as in wired?