Old November 15th, 2009, 10:21 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Creating bridge, WNR2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion05 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, English isn't your first language. Also, you don't work for Netgear, so you haven't been trained in Netgear or their products, so you have no idea what you're talking about. You're just a moderator on their forums.
So, where are you getting your information from? The internet? If so, how do you know they're not lies like the ones in the links I provided?
I came here for support, asking how to do something, and all you tell me is that it can't be done.
It can't be done even though 2 places on this very website state that it can. It can't be done even with "Configurable as a wireless repeater to extend range" ON THE SIDE OF IT'S BOX.
Is there anyone on these forums that can actually help me, or do I have to go through the BBB and my lawyer to get this stupid router to work?
like said V1 do not support WDS. it has miss labeled

V2 is ONLY one will do WDS with latest firmware.
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:29 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

zion05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
like said V1 do not support WDS. it has miss labeled

V2 is ONLY one will do WDS with latest firmware.
No no, see, that's not mislabeling, that's false advertising, and it's Illegal to do in the United States. That's what my big problem is with the whole situation. There's 3 counts of false advertising based around this one router, and no one's doing anything about it.
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

stetsonaw is on a distinguished road

OK, so i have both of these routers (successfully hooked up as a "bridge"). I've got the WNR834Bv2 set up as the base station, and the WNR2000 as the repeater. Haven't hooked it up to my 360 yet (doing that tonight), but i did have it cabled directly to my PC for setting it up.

First off, make sure to have the current firmware on both of your routers (Netgear.com has one for both routers, and both of them have updates that pertain to running Wireless Repeaters). MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DO THE UPDATES WIRELESSLY or you run the possibility of bricking your routers.

When programming, do the repeater first, then the base station. Of course grab the MAC off of the base station first (you can also use the MAC off of the box the router came in, if you still have it).

You need the MAC from both routers (the one it gives you after you check the box to activate it as a repeater/base station). You have to use WEP encryption and set your channel to anything but "Auto", I used 7, but you can use whatever. I also had to set the encryption mode to "Shared", as you can't use Auto for it for some reason, picking this DISABLEs WDS. You have to set both routers up for the same type of encryption and the same passphrase, which will give you the same key, and you can use either 64-bit or 128-bit encryption, 128 being my weapon of choice. Any Windows7 machines you have to go into the network/sharing and MANUALLY set up your connection, and I also statically assign all IP's due to not wanting network intrusion to happen because of the lower quality WEP encryption. hopefully this is something they take care of in a FW update, because with the WNR834Bv2 and WNR3500 you can use WPA-PSK. Sux typing 26 random characters into a PSP or iPod.

After you set everything up, it takes a few minutes for the router to fully come online, you can go to the "Router Status" to ensure that your repeater is connected.

Let me know if this helps, i found this thread when I was looking for help, had to use my Network Engineer know-how to figure this out.

And if you need anything, PM me or respond on here. It's amazing how much that Mod jumped up and down saying that this can't be done.
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

@stetsonaw
My god, that's all I wanted..Just even something to try. "no no no" is all I got before, and you gave me a "what about this" type of thing.
Quote:
You have to use WEP encryption
<-- This is what I didn't know. The tutorial I supplied didn't say that.

Thank you so much for at least giving me hope, I'll fiddle with this when I have some time on my hands this weekend.
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:50 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

no prob bud, hope this helps ya and you get it running.
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:50 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

... you can send some rep to my overclock.net account, same name just messin.
Old November 26th, 2009, 03:04 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks man, it seems to be doing 'What it is supposed to be doing'
But, got a couple problems..
1. If I'm connected to my master, I can access the internet and the repeater, but, if I'm connected wirelessly through the repeater, I can't access the internet.(At one point it did allow me to.)
2. Unplugged "working" repeater, moved it and turned it back on, and now it is only giving me limited access to the wifi on it.
3. Repeater doesn't seem to want to use the master as a DHCP server on the LAN ports..or at least it won't propagate an IP address either direction. Tried setting IP statically on xbox, repeater recognized that it was there, but didn't tell the master..dirty little scoundrel. Also tried the automatic route.

Instead of making every connection static, I'm sticking with DHCP, unless you think that by making every computer have a static IP address would work better, but I really don't want to try all of that, for it not to work(It's a lot of work getting the 'owners' of the several PCs to let me mess around with their stuff. lol)

But yeah, at one time it was letting me connect to the internet through the repeater. I unplugged it to move it to the other room, took a laptop in there that had the WEP code on it, could connect to the repeater, and hell, could connect to the master's routerlogin.net too, but no internets.

Thanks for the help I've been messing around with them for the last 4 hours I should have been asleep about 6 hours ago. lol
Old November 26th, 2009, 03:29 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Perhaps all that is not getting through is the DNS addresses, so maybe you can stick with DHCP allocated IP addresses for the PC / gateway, but just need to set the DNS addresses manually in the TCP/IP properties of the PC.

My name is Andy.
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:20 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

i think when i had it working, i did static IP's. i ended up taking the repeaters back, they were just so slow when i had a computer plugged into the lan ports off the repeater. so i have no more info for you, sorry.
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:21 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion05 View Post
No no, see, that's not mislabeling, that's false advertising, and it's Illegal to do in the United States. That's what my big problem is with the whole situation. There's 3 counts of false advertising based around this one router, and no one's doing anything about it.
BTW.. I'm gonna correct on WDS support WNR2000 V1 unit

with latest firmware it will support. I have confirmed with other user