Old November 19th, 2009, 06:15 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Fjacquette is on a distinguished road
Angry Static route issue

Greetings,

I have sparkling new WNDR3700 that I'm using to replace an old WGR614. My setup is this:

- My home network is 10.10.1.*, and the WNDR3700 sits at 10.10.1.1. It performs NAT to the outside world.
- My office network is 10.11.1.* and is at another location.
- I have a VPN implemented on a dedicated server running OpenVPN at 10.10.1.200.
- I have a static route for any traffic to 10.11.1.* that sends it to 10.10.1.200.
- Another static route for 10.8.0.* routes traffic from 10.10.1.200's ethernet interface to OpenVPN's virtual interface.

This all worked with the WGR614, and we could mount remote file shares, log into the remote servers, etc. With the WNDR3700, pings work, telnet works, but services like smb and Remote Desktop Connection fail miserably. Firing up Wireshark on all of the machines involved, I can see that some TCP packets aren't making it across the static routes.

There is another thread in this forum discussing something similar with bad static route handling. Right now the WNDR3700 is a shiny piece of useless junk for me. How can I determine if this is a known issue, or report it if it's not?
Old November 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

iPaulh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Static route issue

I cant even get it to accept static routes on mine.
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:48 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

roughbeast is on a distinguished road

My problem is related to this, in that static routes my be part of the issue. I have a LaFonera2g router on my LAN connected by ethernet directly to a WNDR3700 port. Just like you I can ping its gateway 192.1681.7 and its destination 192.168.10.1. WNDR3700 recognises it as an attached device and even names it, "FONERA". I used to use a WNR2000 as my main router. My FONERA worked perfectly through my XP machines having set up a static route, but now XP says I don't have access to my FONERA, neither its GUI or file sharing.

There is however a problem with Windows 7 and SMB (SAMBA). W7 will not accept established passwords for file sharing on some remote kit. I am still trying to find the registry tweak for that. You aren't using Windows 7 are you?

I can only assume that there is some security tweak we need to make on the WNDR3700. Here's hoping someone has a clue.

PS. I have tried turning off the firewall. That didn't work either.
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Fjacquette is on a distinguished road

Roughbeast - Nope, not using Windows 7. At home it's a mix of Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2003, Mac OS X Leopard, and a couple of iPhones. Even if Windows were screwing up, my monitoring of the TCP traffic would show that the packets were at least getting through.

I went out and bought a Belkin router for now, though it pains me to do so.
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM

visioncompass is on a distinguished road

I'm also having the same issue with static routing that I'm able to ping the devices but unable to access other applications like remote desktops. Netgear needs to address this issue. It appears that this is a bug. I don't have this issue with my old DLINK router (the router that it replaced). I'm ready to return this to the store if I don't get any feedback from this company. I called in netgear tech support to have them look at this thread to see that this is not an isolated incident.
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:27 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

bluechris is on a distinguished road

I am in the same situation since september guys with the router.
Simple and clear Static routes dont work at all, i can only ping the devices where the static route applies and thats it.

I have raised support ticket 2 months now and noone bothered from netgear to see closely the problem, its a serius problem and needs fixing asap. I also tried to call netgear after suggestion in the forum here but after 3-4 hours on phones noone was able to help me... its a lost case.

Read my posts in this forum here.

I suggest to you all at least to raise support tickets saying simple that Static routes dont work.
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:06 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

barret2222 is on a distinguished road

Hi, i have the same issue... a router who don't route is not a router
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:33 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

bluechris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barret2222 View Post
Hi, i have the same issue... a router who don't route is not a router
eh eh yeah.. well maybe netgear reinvented the meaning of a router..

anyway

Support tickets guys... and phones to everyone can affort it... really if we are many maybe they will hear us.
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:08 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

j_h is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: Static route issue

I have the same issue that static routes do not work on my new WNDR3700.
I have opened a support call.
If this problem will not be fixed then I have to return the device.
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:43 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

j_h is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Static route issue

Did you receive any reply from Netgear technical support?
Up to know I only received the automatic reply “…additional time is necessary to effectively process your request …”.
Broken support for static routes is a fundamental bug for a router!