Old November 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

SHogge is on a distinguished road
Default Using WG111v3 with my Mac G4 10.4

I have a Mac G4 10.4 that I want to use to access my wireless modem (2Wire 2700HG-D) The software installed fine and I was able to put in all the info (i.e. key, etc.) and then connect. It tells me that I am connected to my modem but when I go to a browser I get nothing from it. I tried to connect with an ethernet cable to the modem and got a signal through the browser so that leaves me to the NetGear WG111v3. Is there something I am missing. Do I have things configured wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:34 AM
NETGEAR Addict

fihart is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Using WG111v3 with my Mac G4 10.4

I would try disabling wireless security in the router/modem which may give you a clue to the problem.

There are definitely issues between some Macs and regular networking equipment.

Having spent days trying to connect a friend's two Macs of different vintages to various wireless routers I found each time that one computer or another wouldn't work with wireless security.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:35 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHogge View Post
I have a Mac G4 10.4 that I want to use to access my wireless modem (2Wire 2700HG-D) The software installed fine and I was able to put in all the info (i.e. key, etc.) and then connect. It tells me that I am connected to my modem but when I go to a browser I get nothing from it. I tried to connect with an ethernet cable to the modem and got a signal through the browser so that leaves me to the NetGear WG111v3. Is there something I am missing. Do I have things configured wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
2wire (ATT) commonly setup as WEP which should still work with this adpater but I would recommend to use WPA, WPA2

+ go to system pref> network> choose the correct adapter

use "DHCP with manual address" and/or specify DNS with

Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fihart View Post
I would try disabling wireless security in the router/modem which may give you a clue to the problem.

There are definitely issues between some Macs and regular networking equipment.

Having spent days trying to connect a friend's two Macs of different vintages to various wireless routers I found each time that one computer or another wouldn't work with wireless security.
How do you go about disabling security? Wouldn't that be a un-wise thing to do?
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
2wire (ATT) commonly setup as WEP which should still work with this adpater but I would recommend to use WPA, WPA2

+ go to system pref> network> choose the correct adapter

use "DHCP with manual address" and/or specify DNS with

I tried WPA and WPA2 but then I was unable to get the mac software to connect at all. It just stays at disconnected. When I have it set to WEP it will say it is connected and I get a signal strength but just nothing when I open a browser. What do you mean about "choose correct adapter"? When you talk about the 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 are these IP # to use with DHCP?
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:51 AM
NETGEAR Addict

To disable wireless security (and I only suggest it as a diagnostic measure) you should connect computer to router via an ethernet cable. Login to the address of the router using a browswer (Safari or IE) -- for address, user name and password see manual.

Once in, go to wireless settings and switch off WEP or WPA. Once you have a reliable connection, experiment to find which if any of the security systems will work with your Mac -- probably will work with WEP or WEP128 but WPA is better -- WPA2 probably won't work.

Re: JM's suggestion about Preferences -- that will probably offer choice of Ethernet Port, Wireless and, possibly, Dial Up Modem (though I have no idea what Apple calls all these) -- obviously choose Wireless.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:21 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHogge View Post
I tried WPA and WPA2 but then I was unable to get the mac software to connect at all. It just stays at disconnected. When I have it set to WEP it will say it is connected and I get a signal strength but just nothing when I open a browser. What do you mean about "choose correct adapter"? When you talk about the 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 are these IP # to use with DHCP?
Quote:
go to system pref> network> choose the correct adapter
mac side................
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
mac side................
I went to network settings and do not get a wireless choice.

My choices area:

Ethernet Adapter (en1)
Built-in Ethernet
Internal Modem
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
mac side................
My Ethernet Adapter (en1) says next to it: Ethernet Adapter (en1) is currently active. Ethernet Adapter (en1) has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:45 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Your Mac doesn't seem to be aware of the WG111 as a wireless adapter (or perhaps even at all). Have you loaded the driver for it ?

Is there any clue that it's present -- I'm not familiar with Apple computers but in a PC the Device Manager, the Task Bar, Start Menu and the Desktop would all indicate that the adapter or its utilities were present.