Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

coynatha is on a distinguished road
Default WGR614v7: What does this light blinking mean?

Heya fellas,

I just bought this router a little over a month ago, and its been working flawlessly up until 2 days ago.

Setup is as follows:

1 Wired PC into LAN port 1
1 Wireless Laptop
1 Nintendo Wii
1 Motorola SB5120 Cable Modem (thru Comcast, 6mb/384kbps)

2 nights ago I was alerted by WinXP that my ethernet cable had been unplugged. Of course, it was lying. It just lost the connection with the router for some reason. I glance over at the router, and it was going bonkers with the power light, and then every other light blinking on and off. Power Light -- > Every other light -- > Power Light --> Every other light, so on and so forth. I could also hear a faint hum coming from the router that went on and off with the lights alternating.

I pulled the power from it, did a hard reset(holdin the lil button in the back w/ a pen for 10 seconds) and it appeared to be ok. It lasted a few hours at most and went back to its blinking lights. It's been doing this randomly and often the past two days.

Do the lights blinking like this mean anything that I can fix, or is it toast?
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WGR614v7: What does this light blinking mean?

I suggest try different power supply.. if works for bit and dies could be that power supply could failing after getting hot and not putting enogh juice...
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
I suggest try different power supply.. if works for bit and dies could be that power supply could failing after getting hot and not putting enogh juice...
You mean for the router?..I don't just have one of those lying around..

So this thread has been up for a few hours..I take it there's no "light codes" for these things the way there are "beep" codes for mainboards? The flashing lights just mean nothing? (and by "nothing", read: RMA)
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

I can tell you that at least power light should stay lid.. I would check the volt meter if power supply is supplying correct voltage..

I would call netgear support to see if you can find out or get RMA is less then year old..

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
I can tell you that at least power light should stay lid.. I would check the volt meter if power supply is supplying correct voltage..

I would call netgear support to see if you can find out or get RMA is less then year old..
Well that's the thing..it'll go back to working fine for a while, and out of nowhere disconnect and start the blinking.

Thank you for the input, but I'm not about to put this much effort into "fixing" something that is obviously broken. Looking around the net I've seen I'm not the only one with dead routers for seemingly no reason. One thread I found pointed to Netgear cheaping out on the capacitors/poor cooling. Dude replaced his caps and his router works dandy.

Great timing that it started doing this almost exactly 30 days after I bought it. Only have 30 days to take it back to the store..
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

I can tell you one thing.. I only use prosafe line of netgear.. I use FVS114 with WPN824 as access point and works great..

Hum may come from capacitor too.. I remember in older forum.. someone start to put more wholes to fix some of the heast issue.. but again.. I think many other maufacture products in plastic and probably are about the same.

WPN824 has enough vent whole all the way around.. range max draft N unit has bunch a whole at top to esacpe heat.

if you leave those router flat on tabll heat don't escape on some of those home end router. Profafe lines are all metal box so you have more heat exchange..

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy