Old November 26th, 2009, 02:59 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

AbigailWa is on a distinguished road
Default WGR614V9 - set up wirelessly using Windows 7?

Please can you tell me where I can find instructions to set this router up wirelessly using Windows 7?

I followed the set up instructions and it is currently working wired to my laptop via Ethernet cable but I want to use it without the ethernet cable attached to the laptop.

thanks

A
Old November 26th, 2009, 03:41 AM
NETGEAR Addict

fihart is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WGR614V9 - set up wirelessly using Windows 7?

Keep the ethernet cable connected for the time being.

Do refer to the manual (because it's probably clearer than the advice I can give) but briefly:

Using your browser insert the IP address of the router (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) in the broswer address bar.

You should be greeted by a login box. The User Name is (usually) admin and the Password is (usually) password.

Go to wireless section of the setup pages and check that wireless is enabled and that SSID is enabled as visible. Change the SSID from the default (usually Netgear) to something of your own. Save and exit.

Disconnect ethernet. Check that laptop wireless is ON -- some have a small physical switch on the laptop case front edge or side, some use a keyboard combination. Go to your wireless adapters ustilities or Windows Networking and check that you can detect your router's wireless signal (it should be named as per your SSID choice earlier).

With any luck you'll be on the internet wirelessly.

Now go through the same routine and apply wireless security (WPA-PSK TKIP is the best choice) to the router choosing a passphrase and then applying that to the wirless adapter.
Old November 26th, 2009, 05:52 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have followed these steps. When I try to connect wirelessly I get the error message: Windows was unable to connect to xxx.

I have successfully connected to a friend's network so the wireless on my laptop is on and works.

I have also noticed that my network does not consistently appear as a network option in the list of networks available.

Any other suggestions?

many thanks.
Old November 26th, 2009, 06:04 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

The part about changing the SSID (wireless network name) was important to make sure it’s your network that you are connecting to, did you do this?

What is the distance between the PC and router and are there any obtacles like walls in the way?

My name is Andy.
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:38 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for your response.

The router is about 30cm from the laptop on the same table, so no walls.

Yes I changed the ssid. When I set up the router I changed the default name to my chosen name. I have now redone this and given it another name. Still same problem.

All the following settings are ticked:

Enable Wireless Router Radio
Enable SSID Broadcast
Enable WMM

My network name doesn't very often appear on my list of available networks, although I consistenly see those of my neighbours. I have tried accessing my network by mobile too, but only my neighbours' networks appears on the list, not mine. Is it failing to transmit?
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:28 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailWa View Post
The router is about 30cm from the laptop on the same table, so no walls.
That is actually too close for a radio transmitter receiver pair and can result is significant interference and amplification problems so you get a very poor reception. At 30cm maybe a cable would be a better idea since there are far fewer security issues and you have a more reliable higher throughput connection.

Some routers have an internal plug-in wireless card, if your router does then perhaps yours has come loose.

My name is Andy.
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:57 AM

munichjoe is on a distinguished road

I dont really want to threadjack.... but I am also having problems connecting a Win7 machine to my wgr614v9.

The router is already setup and running fine. I can connect just fine from my laptop, and I can also change settings wirelessly from mine, but as my girlfriend just bought a new laptop I would like to be able to get it connected as well.

Ive updated the firmware on the router from my XP machine, but for the life of me I cannot get my girlfriends new laptop to connect.

Her Win7 machine will connect to 2 other local networks, but will not connect to mine.

Ideas???