Old December 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNDR3700 : DNS-configuration problem

when directly connected have issues then you want discuss that with ISP.

what you can try is do ipconfig

copy down the

ip address
subnet
gateway

then go to network properties of the network adapter and set up as static IP

then use this DNS

then test again if URL works
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:56 PM

farinator is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem with my WNDR3700 wireless router. My router works for a while, resolves domain names fine, then after a while (within an hour or less) it loses all ability to resolve domain names. It's not just on one computer. It happens on my wired Vista desktop, my Win7 laptop, and my iPad 2 - so it's not related to operating system or wireless/wired connectivity.

I'm pretty sure it's a DNS issue because i can't even get to routerlogin.com when this happens, but i can get to my Synology file/photo server by IP.

Honestly, i was just trying to upgrade to a newer better router, but I've just had problems with this (actually, Netgear had me return my previous one and this one is doing the same thing). When i swap back to my old Linksys one it works fine...doesn't lose ability to resolve domain names at all.

Is there some setting or something I can change in the Netgear router? There's obviously some different config setting or conflict with the Netgear one...just sure how to resolve it.

I have a Ubee cable modem (looks like the model is: U10C018.83) as well and am using Time Warner Road Runner as my ISP. I would appreciate any help because the Netgear tech guys couldn't figure it out! Thanks!!
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:09 PM

did you try my suggestion?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:06 PM
NETGEAR User

Persio is on a distinguished road

Hi farinator, welcome to the Netgear community !

I think you should try June's (jmizoguchi) suggestions. This is an expert talking.

Although you may have a similar Ubee modem there may be crucial differences. I am in Europe and we use Eurodocsis 2, so I can't guarantee my Ubee modem works the same as in your country.

If the right lights on your Ubee modem are not on (or wrong color like two of them are orange) then contact your internet provider for service.

On my Ubee modem the lights are (from right to left): green - green - orange - green (and these ones are not supposed to keep blinking)

If you also have telephone (VoIP) through the modem then there will be additional lights on as well (all green, and sometimes they're blinking - it's supposed to be like that)

In any case you should have (only) one orange light amongst them.

If your modem doesn't have those then there may be a problem. It may be the case that the internet provider didn't correctly connect the modem to the cable network (I mean the connection from your modem to the wall socket, this is extremely sensitive - an internal loose thread could be the cause). Also I had it happen that they didn't properly activate my internet connection from their main server. Their inability to fill in something (on their administrative PC) in a grayed out screen field prevented them from reaching the next screen, where the actual activation was.

My personal advice in this case is to do the paperclip method:

Use a paperclip to reset both devices. (both modem and router)
Insert end of paperclip into the reset button and hold it for 30 seconds.
Be aware that when you do this you will loose any settings made before ! It will cause the devices to fully reset to default values and search for any updates available.

When installing a network follow this order:

1) switch off PC, and router

2) install modem (reset with paperclip as described above, then wait until it finishes setting itself - check if correct lights are on)

3) install router (turn on and reset with paperclip as described above)

4) install pc side of network (turn on PC - it should adapt to correct settings)

5) use method as described previously in this topic to gain access to your router-login. Then change the settings as desired.

Good luck !
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

StaticFree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by farinator View Post
I'm having the same problem with my WNDR3700 wireless router. My router works for a while, resolves domain names fine, then after a while (within an hour or less) it loses all ability to resolve domain names. It's not just on one computer. It happens on my wired Vista desktop, my Win7 laptop, and my iPad 2 - so it's not related to operating system or wireless/wired connectivity.

I'm pretty sure it's a DNS issue because i can't even get to routerlogin.com when this happens, but i can get to my Synology file/photo server by IP.

Honestly, i was just trying to upgrade to a newer better router, but I've just had problems with this (actually, Netgear had me return my previous one and this one is doing the same thing). When i swap back to my old Linksys one it works fine...doesn't lose ability to resolve domain names at all.

Is there some setting or something I can change in the Netgear router? There's obviously some different config setting or conflict with the Netgear one...just sure how to resolve it.

I have a Ubee cable modem (looks like the model is: U10C018.83) as well and am using Time Warner Road Runner as my ISP. I would appreciate any help because the Netgear tech guys couldn't figure it out! Thanks!!
It is the firmware version 1.0.7.98NA that you are using. I have the same issue with this version of the firmware where it loses DNS name resolution ability after running for a while. I also have Time Warner RR as my ISP and was using their DNS servers. I think there might be some weird incompatibility issue with the TWRR DNS servers and this firmware version. I have recently given this firmware another try but this time using different DNS servers and it seems to be holding up for two days running now. I had read in another thread someone said they also repointed to another DNS server and it held up for them too. The DNS server I am using now is openDNS. There DNS server ipaddresses are as follows:

Go to your router's Basic Settings config page and under the Domain Name Services (DNS) Addresses section, choose to specify your own Primary and Secondary DNS servers using the two ipaddress I show you above. Hit apply and save and you should be set. Let us know if it holds up from there on.

Although I have reported this issue to Netgear Support and they acknowledged it about a month ago, I am not sure if it is fixed in the just released newer firmware announced yesterday (firmware version 1.0.14.98). I have not yet tried this newest firmware yet because I want to see if this previous version 1.0.7.98NA holds up with the new openDNS server ipaddresses change I made. So far it seems to be holding up and has not locked up on me yet after about 2 days running so far. It would previously lock up on me within 1 day using the Time Warner DNS ipaddresses. So far, so good. fyi.
Old September 17th, 2011, 07:54 AM

maxvelocity is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFree View Post
It is the firmware version 1.0.7.98NA that you are using
Man ... thanks for this post. I'm running the latest version V1.0.16.98NA and the issue still persists. I also have Time Warner RR as the ISP. Pointing to the OpenDNS servers as posted resolved this issue for me. I just got this router for 3 days and already I'm hating it, may be I should go back to LinkSys.
Old September 17th, 2011, 09:25 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just got this router for 3 days and already I'm hating it, may be I should go back to LinkSys.
You should read some of the threads on this forum to help you make a decision.
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvelocity View Post
Man ... thanks for this post. I'm running the latest version V1.0.16.98NA and the issue still persists. I also have Time Warner RR as the ISP. Pointing to the OpenDNS servers as posted resolved this issue for me. I just got this router for 3 days and already I'm hating it, may be I should go back to LinkSys.
I use opendns with my Comcast. I do not us this home end routers but opendns is better than ISP DNS ... Just 2cents. Although I did not change to opendns because router could not work propoery
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:57 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

pigskins is on a distinguished road

I am having a similar problem (created a new topic) where I lose internet connectivity for 3-5 minutes. But I have 2 PCs, 1 at 100mb and the other at 1gb and it's only the 100mb PC that loses connection!

I am going to try setting the DNS manually, will report back. It happens multiple times per day so I will know by tonight if this helped.

Strange that I've had this router for 3-4 months and this did not start happening until a week or 2 ago!
Old September 20th, 2011, 07:28 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jailbird is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: WNDR3700 : DNS-configuration problem

Hey there -

I read this whole thread, and I'm not yet 100% sure that your problem is the problem I had. The suggestions to date mostly seem worthwhile (isolate your cable modem, isolate the DNS by using it locally, etc.) but ....

*IF* it helps, here's the thread of my similar issue. My resolution was to downgrade to 1.0.4.68 and wait for this bug to be addressed .... and I'm not holding my breath. Submitting the issue to Netgear support was completely ineffectual, afaict.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=65095

Good luck!

-Jailbird