Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

atfree is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless Bridge/Adapter for Directv on Demand

I'm trying to hook-up my Directv HD Dvr to my wireless network for On Demand services.

I have a Netgear WPN824v3 wireless router and would like to stick with a wireless bridge/adapter from the same company.

Any suggestions? It has to be able to connect to my router/network wireless and be able to connect to the Directv DVR via ethernet connection.

Thanks!!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wireless Bridge/Adapter for Directv on Demand

get another WPN824V3 and repeat

see wireless tips on my sig below and see concept of WDS pdf file
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

atfree is on a distinguished road

Thanks!!! I had thought about this, but after reading the WDC concept file under your signature, it seems very complicated and intricate (assigning MAC addresses for all my wireless devices, etc). I have 4 laptops plus PS2 and Xbox360 all connected wirelessly to my network, so setting up another WPN824 as a repeater seems like it would involve a lot of work plus I run the risk of screwing up everything if I miss something.

Since I'm just wanting to connect this one device (Direct DVR) using, wouldn't using a WGPS606 be much simpler? Specs say it works as a wireless bridge in addition to print server capability. It costs a little more than a WPN824, but set-up would seem to me much simpler and run less risk of screwing up other devices on my network.

I'm currently using a Linksys WGA600N wireless adapter (recommended by Directv) to connect my DVR wirelessly, but ever since I changed routers to the WPN824, my Directv on Demand downloads have slowed to a crawl versus when I was using a Linksys router. I've troubleshot everything I can think of, but believe it may be a compatibility between the Netgear router and the Linksys wireless adapter. So, I'm thinking that using a Netgear product in conjunction with the Netgear router would correct this.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!!!!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
NETGEAR Addict

GuyAdams is on a distinguished road

Its probably not the answer you want to here but I would probably suggest perhaps upgrading to Wireless N equipment?

Reason I say this is 54Mbps wireless equipment will struggle with high quality streams. I'm unsure of the type of on demand stuff your DVR can provide but for future proofing now may be a good time to upgrade your equipment?

Perhaps using a WNR2000 as a router then use a WN802T-200 to connect your DVR and other other equipment. At least with those your theoretical throughput is 300Mbps.

Thanks

Check out my blog 'Guy Adams on Technology' here (external link)

Forum Rules - Post screenshots for free

VPN Tutorials, Tips & Tricks - ProSafe Firmware Upgrade - Interface Demo's