Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:25 AM

Kryophun is on a distinguished road
Default Using the WNDR3700 as a wireless access point (bridge) for wired network

I'm considering purchasing a WNDR3700, but I can't seem to find the details about whether or not it supports acting as a bridge for a wired network (essentially just becoming a wireless access point). I already have an existing wired network with a router on it. My intention is to add wireless capability to the network without replacing the existing router or infrastructure.

I looked in the online manual for the WNDR3700 (ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WN..._16OCT2009.pdf) and the only related reference I could find was on page 5-22 where it talked about the wireless repeating functionality. This is similar to what I want, except that I don't need to repeat an existing wireless network. Also, the description here concerns me since it that if I use wireless repeating that I cannot use WPA2 wireless security.

Does the WNDR3700 have the ability to become a wireless access point for an existing wired network? And can I configure it to use WPA2 security for it? I don't need NAT or DHCP, etc. (as I mentioned, I already have and need to keep my existing router).

Thanks!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:30 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Using the WNDR3700 as a wireless access point (bridge) for wired network

post so much in the thread

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Using the WNDR3700 as a wireless access point (bridge) for wired network

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean, "Post so much in the thread?" Can you elaborate?

I followed the link you posted, but it doesn't seem to apply to the WNDR3700, as it only lists the WPN824, WGR614, and WGT624.

Thanks!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryophun View Post
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean, "Post so much in the thread?" Can you elaborate?

I followed the link you posted, but it doesn't seem to apply to the WNDR3700, as it only lists the WPN824, WGR614, and WGT624.

Thanks!
means you have NOT read thread. this is common question

URL is concept... ANY,, ANY router will work

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:04 AM

I have read the threads, as I mentioned. None of them:
1. Addressed the WPA2 support while in bridge mode issue (the fact that it seems to be directly contradicted by the manual of the router itself)
2. Addressed the fact that the link does not specifically mention this router model as being one to which it applies. Given how easy it is to update documentation on websites, I would be surprised that it is out of date and doesn't list all the routers to which it actually applies.

When spending so much money on a piece of hardware, it is imperative to get clarity about it's exact feature details. Furthermore, it's worth getting emphasis on the support for such a configuration, since NETGEAR doesn't seem to document it in the manual anywhere.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
1. Addressed the WPA2 support while in bridge mode issue (the fact that it seems to be directly contradicted by the manual of the router itse
if you have WIRED route then why bridge needs to be concern with WNDR3700?

Quote:
2. Addressed the fact that the link does not specifically mention this router model as being one to which it applies. Given how easy it is to update documentation on websites, I would be surprised that it is out of date and doesn't list all the routers to which it actually applies.
ROUTER MODEL does not master. CONCEPT of setting router as as an access point is same to entire wireless router .

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
NETGEAR User

SkyOwl is on a distinguished road

Yes the 3700 will work as an access point and will support wpa2

Jimi is correct in refering you to many posts describing a generic setup that will work with the 3700. Basically only 3 things to remember:

1.) plug the lan cable from the primary router into the 4 port switch of the AP 3700...NOT the WAN port.

2.) Set the lan ip of the AP 3700 outside of the DHCP range of the primary router

2.) Disable DHCP on the AP 3700

All other AP 3700 settings, including WPA2 can be set to your preference.

I use a setup like this to extend my wireless coverage and it works perfectly.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:17 PM

Thank you for your help.