Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old January 5th, 2010, 06:37 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

adambean is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up USB 3.0 and WNDR3700

http://gizmodo.com/5440275/wds-first...d-you-want-one

Hey all, I'm curious to as if the I/O will be increased on the 3700 with this drive? The article states that it's backwards compatible with USB 2.0, but based on my experience and everything I've read here thus far, the 3700 does not even come close to utilizing even the full bandwidth of 2.0. So is this worth the investment at this point? I was getting ready to return my 3700 until I saw this article today ...

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:05 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

hata28 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: USB 3.0 and WNDR3700

Well, to utilize USB 3.0 your motherboard need to support it. It's just not worth it to buy an 1 TB for $180.
And this router is not made particularly to connect an USB drive, it's just an gimmick.
Maybe you can hook up an NAS to WNDR3700 which is faster.

I still can live with it just for streaming HD movies to my Asus O!play. I connect an Rosewill Dual USB enclosure with 2 X 1TB HD to this router and connect to a Kensington USB Share Center. So whenever I need to transfer huge files to the Hard drives, I just switch over to my PC.
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM
NETGEAR User

Kanati is on a distinguished road

Lets think about this...

USB 3.0 is 4.8 gigabits per second or 572 MB/s.

But, gigabit ethernet is 1 gigabit per second or 120 MB/s.

And, fast ethernet is 100 megabits per second or 12 MB/s.

In my opinion it would be a waste of money to buy a USB 3 capable external drive and hook it up to any USB capable router, unless the network is capable of transfer speeds over 1 Gb/s (120MB/s) or you will hook it up directly to your PC.

I tested transfers from PC to PC across my Gb network and I got 85 MB/s peak and 35 MB/s averages. From my network drive I got 10 MB/s peak and 5 MB/s average.

USB 2 is 480 Mb/s or 57 MB/s...my USB 2 drive, hooked to the WNDR, only transferred at 11 MB/s peak and 6 MB/s average. Nothing near the speed USB 2 should be transferring. Supposedly the WNDR has a USB 2 port, but is doesn't seem to transfer anywhere near USB 2 speeds.

If I had a choice...I would go with a really good network drive (ethernet capable, NOT USB) like the Netgear ReadyNAS NVX (RNDX4410) capable of 74 MB/s transfers over gigabit networks. Or build a server with SATA 2 or SATA 3 hard drives.

See NAS charts at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...nas/Itemid,190
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:31 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambean View Post

Hey all, I'm curious to as if the I/O will be increased on the 3700 with this drive? The article states that it's backwards compatible with USB 2.0, but based on my experience and everything I've read here thus far, the 3700 does not even come close to utilizing even the full bandwidth of 2.0. So is this worth the investment at this point? I was getting ready to return my 3700 until I saw this article today ...

Any thoughts?

Thanks
USB3.0 and 2.0 is hardware differences. I don't think it will support 3.0 in the future with firmware upgrade.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

DocJ is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: USB 3.0 and WNDR3700

I really like our year old Netgear WNDR 3700. But with recent USB 2.1 flash drives, it can have just pathetic connection speeds. In that regard also I have noticed that a USB 2 flash drive works better wirelessly with my wife's cheap Acer dual core than gigabit-wired with my nearby, otherwise fantastic P6X58D Prem Asus mainboard. Reading these forums suggest that might be because her notebook user Atheros networking chips that supposedly power the WNDR 3700 instead of the Marvell chips in my mainboard, but who really knows?

All this said, Netgear needs to offer an even newer than WNDR4000+ model capable of USB 3 connections, perhaps best with a built in USB 3 hub connection capability (USB 3 hubs are available now too). All our families computers are USB 3 equipped natively or by add-ons and backward compatible with USB 2. USB 3 is so much faster that it is simply ridiculous to even think USB 2 anymore. Now I hear D-Link will be offering a 450 Mbps-5GHz router with built-in USB 3.0 compatibility (HD Media Router 3000, DIR-857, http://ces.cnet.com/8301-32254_1-20027596-283.html). I prefer Netgear, but I will have to check out this alternative.
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:05 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Renegade_Dragon is on a distinguished road

Check out the New DGND3700 which is supposed to be released later this year.

The USB ports they show in the picture are the Blue USB 3.0 ports.

You can toss your existing DSL Modem or if you have Cable or Fiber Internet, you can connect the WAN port to your existing modem.
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

Seeing how hubs work, usb hubs could be made without any technological boost...

the netgear router shown is probaly usb2, I have a router here with a blue usb port, it's usb2 ;P....

One thing about major news outlets like cnet, and about ces....
Products at ces may not ship for months, and sometimes may never ship at all. The entry level product router in their comparison is going to have a rrp near 150 and the one with usb3 is two levels up!!...

On a side note, regarding the benefit of usb3...
There really isnt one.. Not for network streaming..
The largest delay will be putting the content on the usb drive. If you think about HDTV tuner usb sticks, some can manage 4 or 5 streams at once... 5 streams of 1080!...

usb3 will be more expensive too, the hardware may not cost more to build, but the lisence fee's will.
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:55 PM
NETGEAR Expert

Simon0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambean View Post

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Avoid USB if you need high I/O, and high I/O seems to lockup USB drives connected to routers. You can test it out by using RoboCopy or initiating multiple transfers...
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:32 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

bclewis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
USB 2 is 480 Mb/s or 57 MB/s...my USB 2 drive, hooked to the WNDR, only transferred at 11 MB/s peak and 6 MB/s average. Nothing near the speed USB 2 should be transferring.
USB 2 is 60 MB/s theoretical maximum (per-controller, shared over ALL devices on the same controller), but there is significant overhead. Wikipedia suggests practical maximum is closer to 30 MB/s, though their numbers date back to 2004.

11/6 MB/s peak/avg still seems pretty slow though. I wonder if using a filesystem other than NTFS would help -- firmware is based on OpenWrt, so they're presumably using a user-space NTFS driver; I'm thinking of reformatting to ext3 (which has kernel support) to see if that will help.
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

knightrider2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclewis View Post
11/6 MB/s peak/avg still seems pretty slow though. I wonder if using a filesystem other than NTFS would help -- firmware is based on OpenWrt, so they're presumably using a user-space NTFS driver; I'm thinking of reformatting to ext3 (which has kernel support) to see if that will help.
ext3 helps on writes (like 3-4x), but not a whole lot on reads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
If I had a choice...I would go with a really good network drive (ethernet capable, NOT USB) like the Netgear ReadyNAS NVX (RNDX4410) capable of 74 MB/s transfers over gigabit networks. Or build a server with SATA 2 or SATA 3 hard drives.
Yep - if you want performance, get a NAS - there is no need to worry about USB 3 on this router or even if the next version supports.