Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:50 AM
gate1975mlm gate1975mlm is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
gate1975mlm is on a distinguished road
Default Only block certain mac addresses?

s there any way on the WND3700 to only block certain mac addresses?

All I seem to be able to do is block all of them and only have an "allow list".
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:52 AM
jmizoguchi's Avatar
jmizoguchi jmizoguchi is online now
Senior Member
NETGEAR Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 94,047
jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Only block certain mac addresses?

NO.. IP only
__________________
VPN Case Study (www.vpncasestudy.com)
Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study
"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"


Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM
gate1975mlm gate1975mlm is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
gate1975mlm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Only block certain mac addresses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
NO.. IP only
So does that mean for example if someone were to bring a laptop into my home they would not be able to see the connection from my router? Unless they are on my allow list?

And would this also mean that by using Mac filtering no one in my area would be able to tell that there is a wireless router in my home.

Is that correct?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:04 AM
jmizoguchi's Avatar
jmizoguchi jmizoguchi is online now
Senior Member
NETGEAR Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 94,047
jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Only block certain mac addresses?

mac filtering is for wireless ONLY so for wireless you can stop the wireless connectivity entirely so you can not just block internet , you refuse the wireless connectivity

not sure if it will allow you to choose outside the DHCP range so that all the PC will use static IP outside the DHCP for allow list and allow other guest on DHCP which will connect to your network but allow list is your outside DHCP with specific range.

192.168.0.2~192.168.0.15 DHCP RANGE

192.168.0.100~192.168.0.115 is your static IP on all your devices that needs access and use with allow list.

rest will refuse it.
__________________
VPN Case Study (www.vpncasestudy.com)
Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study
"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"


Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:18 AM
gate1975mlm gate1975mlm is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
gate1975mlm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Only block certain mac addresses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
mac filtering is for wireless ONLY so for wireless you can stop the wireless connectivity entirely so you can not just block internet , you refuse the wireless connectivity

not sure if it will allow you to choose outside the DHCP range so that all the PC will use static IP outside the DHCP for allow list and allow other guest on DHCP which will connect to your network but allow list is your outside DHCP with specific range.

192.168.0.2~192.168.0.15 DHCP RANGE

192.168.0.100~192.168.0.115 is your static IP on all your devices that needs access and use with allow list.

rest will refuse it.
Ok I think I sort of understand what you are saying.

You said Mac filtering is for wireless only.

So that means if I am using "Mac filtering" someone with a Desktop or laptop who is using wireless can not connect to my router. Can they still see the connection from my router but are just not able to connect? Or would they not even be able to see the router at all?

Would my router be invisible to anyone not on my allow list? That is what I am asking?


And I understand also that any computer can still connect to my router hardwired even when I am using Mac filtering?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:26 AM
jmizoguchi's Avatar
jmizoguchi jmizoguchi is online now
Senior Member
NETGEAR Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 94,047
jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Only block certain mac addresses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gate1975mlm View Post
Ok I think I sort of understand what you are saying.

You said Mac filtering is for wireless only.

So that means if I am using "Mac filtering" someone with a Desktop or laptop who is using wireless can not connect to my router. Can they still see the connection from my router but are just not able to connect? Or would they not even be able to see the router at all?

Would my router be invisible to anyone not on my allow list? That is what I am asking?


And I understand also that any computer can still connect to my router hardwired even when I am using Mac filtering?
unless you hide SSID it will see the network but can NOT connect.

no one will KNOW the allow the list can allow unless see the physical listing in the router interface . what makes you think some will?
__________________
VPN Case Study (www.vpncasestudy.com)
Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study
"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"


Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:37 AM
gate1975mlm gate1975mlm is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
gate1975mlm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Only block certain mac addresses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
unless you hide SSID it will see the network but can NOT connect.

no one will KNOW the allow the list can allow unless see the physical listing in the router interface . what makes you think some will?

Thank for that info

One last thing

When using Mac filtering and lets say I wanted to allow 1 laptop to access my router's wireless connection what should I do?

Would I just disable Mac filtering and add the laptop's Mac address to my allow list and then re enable Mac filtering?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM
jmizoguchi's Avatar
jmizoguchi jmizoguchi is online now
Senior Member
NETGEAR Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 94,047
jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Only block certain mac addresses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gate1975mlm View Post
Thank for that info

One last thing

When using Mac filtering and lets say I wanted to allow 1 laptop to access my router's wireless connection what should I do?

Would I just disable Mac filtering and add the laptop's Mac address to my allow list and then re enable Mac filtering?
you have to add each time when you need it. you do not need disable

"if not listed in the mac filtering, it will not work. just add each single time"
__________________
VPN Case Study (www.vpncasestudy.com)
Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study
"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"


Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Mars Mug's Avatar
Mars Mug Mars Mug is offline
Moderator
NETGEAR Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stevenage UK
Posts: 12,398
Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Only block certain mac addresses?

To add manually you would need to know the MAC address of the wireless adaptor, and so its probably just as easy to disable the MAC filter, allow the laptop to connect, add to the list, then re-enable the filter.

But its a really waste of time when any form of encryption is in use.
__________________
I don't work for Netgear.

My name is Andy.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:01 PM
gate1975mlm gate1975mlm is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
gate1975mlm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Only block certain mac addresses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
you have to add each time when you need it. you do not need disable

"if not listed in the mac filtering, it will not work. just add each single time"

Thank again I understand now
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:00 AM.