Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

kamz is on a distinguished road
Default Connecting the PS3 with 5GHz network and Media server

Hi

I have recently purchased the Netgear WNDR3700 and wanted to find out how I can connect my PS3 with the 5GHz network and if I can use the Netgears media server function with the PS3. With the router, I am using the Draytek Vigor 120 modem, wired desktop PC, Wireless - laptop, Wii and PS3.

I bought the WNDR3700 as I thought it will be better for online gaming via the PS3, HD movie playback on the PS3 via the 5GHz dedicated network.
The PS3 only seems to connect via the 2.4GHz network, as the 5GHz network doesn't appear on the PS3. I often experience connection errors during online gaming and HD movie streaming via the PS3 media server using the 2.4GHz network isn't as smooth. Can someone please advise how I can improve this.

Thank you.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:24 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

fuzzyleaves is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Connecting the PS3 with 5GHz network and Media server

The PS3 does not have the ability to transmit on the 5GHz band nor over wireless-N, unless you get a bridge of some kind. Not many devices can do 5GHz yet. You're stuck with wireless-G at 2.5GHz or with a wired ethernet connection.

Make sure that your router isaway fro any sources of interference, such as a cordless phone or computer monitor. Putting it on a high bookshelf is the best.

People have also been experiencing issues where their internet speed drops & latency increases when 5GHz wireless is enabled. Ho[efully this will be addresssed in a future firmware update. Disable 5GHz under Advanced > Wireless Settings and restart your router - hopefully this helps!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:41 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks, I'll try that. I have a couple of questions:

With regards to "Transmit Power Control", should this be left to the default setting of 100% or should I be changing this to 25% as most of my equipment is close by.

under setup/wireless settings on the 2.4GHz network, would it be better to change the mode from 130Mbps to 300Mbps Performance mode and what are the advantages (after disabling the 5GHz network under advanced wireless settings)

In order to achieve the best performance with Torrents (Vuze), Media streaming via PS3 media server and PS3 multiplayer Gaming should I be making any other changes on the WNDR3700.

Thanks
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:58 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier, is it better to have the router hardwired to my desktop PC via Etharnet cable or should I connect to it wirelessly. As it was suggested to keep the router away from Phones, PC Monitors and place it on a high bookshelf, if it's connected wirelessly will there will be an impact on my internet connection speeds and with torrents as to having it hardwired.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:17 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

fuzzyleaves is on a distinguished road

Keep transmit power control at 100% and do not change it to 300Mbps. It won't impact your speed unless you have a super fast connection and are using wireless-N.

It is, of course, always better to have it wired if you can. There is negligble interference on wired connections, and depending on your internet speed, it is almost always fater with a wired connection. Wireless-G isn't nearly as snappy as what a lot of modern broadband connections can handle, but N is getting close. However, if you wish to update the firmware on the router, you *must* do this via a wired connection.

Torrents will affect your internet speed on all computers on the network, regardless of whether it's wired or not. I suggest scheduling torrens to run at night while you're sleeping.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for the reply.