Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:15 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Graphite is on a distinguished road
Question Using router to set time limits based on MAC address?

Hi - - A few router questions...

I've just re-signed with AOL for 18 months and got another new router! LOL

Currently using a Netgear DG834Gv3 running well - no problems. The new router is a D-Link DSL2640R/AL - supposedly high speed...? But the download speeds I can achieve with my Netgear even on the wireless connections are often about the limit of the 8 MB incomming connection! - So doesn't seem any point in connecting it up just to have a faster router - Am I right? There are also unreliability stories abounding with the D-Link

The second question is - I would like to be able to shut off wireless access to certain devices at certain times (eldest son has just aquired his first iPod touch ) - Ideally on a schedule - but the only way of doing this I can see on the Netgear is to delete the device from the wireless access list - but then you have to manually relist it on the page - a bit tedious... The alternative is to disconnect the router from the power supply overnight (saves me from having to wear my little foil hat in bed too... )
The D-Link apparently has a disconnectable ariel - which presumably would do the same job - but not really much difference...
Any ideas on how to get round it? I have seen a Linksys model (WRT54G) that seems to have time limits via MAC address capability. - CAN I do it with my DG834G - or are there any mode advanced Netgear models that would be better in this situation?

Thirdly - My mobile phone (Sony Ericsson P1i) connects only with wireless 'b' - it is supposed to be able to handle WPA and WPA2 - but I can't get it to connect with WPA, so I run WEP (with wireless access controls turned on) which it is fine with, I would obviously rather be able to run a more secure protocol - am I likely to see any improvement with another model of ADSL router?

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Mick
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:26 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Using router to set time limits based on MAC address?

Quote:
he second question is - i would like to be able to shut off wireless access to certain devices at certain times (eldest son has just aquired his first ipod touch ) - ideally on a schedule - but the only way of doing this i can see on the netgear is to delete the device from the wireless access list
no

Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:34 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

You could set up the D-Link as an access point connected to the DG834, that way you can have two wireless connections with different names and encryption methods and that might give you more options / control.

My name is Andy.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Using router to set time limits based on MAC address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
You could set up the D-Link as an access point connected to the DG834, that way you can have two wireless connections with different names and encryption methods and that might give you more options / control.
That sounds interesting - how do you do that? - I've got a 'spare' DG834G as well - would that work?

Thanks

Mick
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:55 AM

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:18 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Using router to set time limits based on MAC address?

Thanks - that is a useful link.

Looking at some other post here - perhaps what would suit best would be a WDS. Would the link from one wireless router to the other be more stable than a link from the main wireless router to a WiFi adapter (WG111v3) ?

I could put the 2nd router next to the other machine and connect via cable as well as using a second SSID with time limits for those devices that need them - would that work?

Thanks for your quick responses
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
Thanks - that is a useful link.

Looking at some other post here - perhaps what would suit best would be a WDS. Would the link from one wireless router to the other be more stable than a link from the main wireless router to a WiFi adapter (WG111v3) ?

I could put the 2nd router next to the other machine and connect via cable as well as using a second SSID with time limits for those devices that need them - would that work?

Thanks for your quick responses

http://www.unix.ms/netgear/

both MUST have WDS supported plus half the performance
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:23 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Question Re: Using router to set time limits based on MAC address?

Just another thought - If I effectively had a second WiFi network - I could put the phone and the ipod on that - running WEP - since they can't really be 'hacked' - then I could change the main network to WPA2 for greater security on PCs and laptops that will work OK with it and could possibly be compromised with a lower security setting.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Mick
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
Just another thought - If I effectively had a second WiFi network - I could put the phone and the ipod on that - running WEP - since they can't really be 'hacked' - then I could change the main network to WPA2 for greater security on PCs and laptops that will work OK with it and could possibly be compromised with a lower security setting.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Mick
REPEAT (WDS ) will be WEP
using WEP is hackable

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
above using as an access point with WEP still make your network weak as it will be part of your network

if you really want isolate. get WNDR3700. it has guest for wireless that can isolate from rest of the network
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Question Re: Using router to set time limits based on MAC address?

OK - thanks for that info - but if wireless access controls are on would that not make a difference to enable them to be kept seperate?

Sorry for any daft questions - I've not really looked into router capabilities before