Old February 9th, 2010, 06:51 PM

JuliaJ is on a distinguished road
Default How do you use Ready Share?

Hi -
I've done a search on this topic and sorry - I did not see the basics on how to use this.

I called tech support - and we did change the settings under routerlogin.com to detect the USB. He mumbled something about then I have do figure out how to do the rest myself based on the PC Mfg requirements ... I don't know what that means... I'm not very tech. savy

I run on Win XP.

I did go into Shared Docs and created a folder and put a document in there as a test.

I downloaded the ReadyShare Connect file from the Netgear site. When I try to map a drive it says: "The network path\\readyshare\usb_storage could not be found"

Any help/guidance is VERY MUCH appreciated!!!!!
Thanks-
Julia
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

ccdoggy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do you use Ready Share?

open my network places. in the address bar type in \\readyshare hit enter does it work?
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

BrianMF is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind I haven't used this feature (yet) but from what you said you created a folder locally and the router is attempting to look for one via the usb connection port on the back (hence the network path having usb_storage at the end).
Old February 13th, 2010, 09:57 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

brent3000 is on a distinguished road

Simplest thing to do is login to the router (192.168.1.1 and admin password unless u changed it of course) go to Basic USB settings and click on Network/Device name (should be highlighted blue starting with \\ ) and see if that opens the files then see what the address is.

If your using Norton you may need to allow connections from device 192.168.1.1 (or what ever the routers address is) even if u have internet i found this to be an issue when using the share files
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:55 AM

hken2 is on a distinguished road

Your USB drive may simply not be compatible with Readyshare and cannot read it. I had a 200gb USB drive I put together from a generic 3.5 enclosure..works fine connected to a computer but Readyshare cannot read it. THere's nothing you can do if that's the case.
Old January 1st, 2011, 03:39 PM

jessicarolfe is on a distinguished road

I had a really hard time finding information about this product too. Basically, you take your flash drive or mass storage device and plug it in to the back of your router. Then go to my network places and work your way down through the microsoft windows network / workgroups / ready share / usb storage. At that point, I recommend you right click on the usb storage device, choose create shortcut, and have a shortcut to the device placed on your desktop.

This is a great way to back up your files since it's completely separate from the computer
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:48 AM

bhoxha is on a distinguished road

I am trying to setup readyshare in network for external hard driver with IMac. Can someone assist me on that? Thanks, Besim
Old October 18th, 2012, 03:18 AM

etude is on a distinguished road

Readyshare works great on my laptop when connecting wirelessly, but on my other PC (WinXP) I can't get it to work. It does not appear under my network places. Start/Run/ then \\readyshare doesn't work either. Suggestions?
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:33 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

Make sure the workgroup name is the same for both the Netgear and the XP box.

The transfer rate is really slow (usb1.1) and some drives do not work well with it, you also cant use a large drive that requires a lot of startup current unless your using a split power plug. It is useful for basic stuff (documents, the odd photo, perhaps some media files) but I dont like it for large files like backed up DVD's or installs that are more than a few meg.
Old October 18th, 2012, 02:35 PM

krazyeric is on a distinguished road

I have a portable hard drive that will show 1/3 of my movie files. I have around 900 gig total. Will the R4500 readyshare only hold a certain amount? Thank You.