Old February 13th, 2010, 02:54 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dolphsett is on a distinguished road
Question WNR1000 Dropping Connection

I recently installed a new WNR1000 router (version not on package or device), replacing an older WGR614v6 router I used for several years. The old router began intermittently dropping signal -- the Ethernet light would blink, then go out, then signal was lost. I thought with it being an older router, the Ethernet connection was going bad, and it was time for an upgrade anyway.

The new WNR1000 worked fine for several weeks, although I didn't notice any gain in speed. But that was okay -- it more than made up for it in stability...until a few days ago when the new WNR1000 started behaving the same -- Ethernet light would blink, then go out, followed by loss of Internet.

Here's what I have on the network: Toshiba Satellite laptop Windows XP with latest updates, wireless; MacMini OS 10.6.2 AirPort wireless; older Dell desktop Windows XP Home Edition wireless through WG311 adapter (computer rarely turned on); an IPhone and a PS3, both wireless. Internet connection is DSL through Windstream SpeedStream 4200 modem.

I realize this is a duplicate post, for others have registered the exact same complaints. But I've tried all of the suggested fixes -- I changed the setting to only 54 mbps; I've moved both the router and modem away from each other and away from other computer devices. I've updated the firmware. The modem has been replaced (thought that was the problem, but wasn't) and I've changed all of the Ethernet cords, as well as the phone (DSL) cord. No luck.

Note: I did have an IP Address conflict, but tracked it down to the IPhone and PS3 sharing same address -- was able to change PS3 address.

Any suggestions for making this thing work consistently? This has been aggravating.

Thanks.
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNR1000 Dropping Connection

Quote:
The old router began intermittently dropping signal -- the Ethernet light would blink, then go out, then signal was lost. I thought with it being an older router, the Ethernet connection was going bad, and it was time for an upgrade anyway.
Quote:
.until a few days ago when the new WNR1000 started behaving the same -- Ethernet light would blink, then go out, followed by loss of Internet.
this should be your RED flag issue on possible ethernet adapter which is going bad
Old February 13th, 2010, 05:33 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

What Ethernet adapter? On the modem? On the router? Both devices are new, and new Ethernet cables have been connected to each.

Will Ethernet light go off if DSL connection is dropped? I'm wondering if the problem can be the phone connection coming into my home.
Old February 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Banned

?????

if you have ethernet cable.. where plug in to PC.. ethernet adapter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_adapter
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I do not have the router plugged into any computer via Ethernet. In order to move the router and modem away from the computer to avoid possible interference (as suggested in other postings), both are setup independent of any computer. I'm now only hooking up the router to my computer's Ethernet to access the router settings.

Note that the Ethernet dropping off (light going out on modem, then loss of internet) occurs in both configurations -- with the router hooked up to the computer via Ethernet AND not hooked up. Thus, the Ethernet adapter (connection) cannot be the problem.

What else can be causing the internet connection to arbitrarily drop? Is there a method to check the stability of the DSL line coming into my home, and if so, can that possibly be causing the modem's Ethernet light to disappear before internet connection is dropped?
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
.until a few days ago when the new WNR1000 started behaving the same -- Ethernet light would blink, then go out, followed by loss of Internet.
Quote:
The old router began intermittently dropping signal -- the Ethernet light would blink, then go out, then signal was lost. I thought with it being an older router, the Ethernet connection was going bad, and it was time for an upgrade anyway.
Quote:
What else can be causing the internet connection to arbitrarily drop? Is there a method to check the stability of the DSL line coming into my home, and if so, can that possibly be causing the modem's Ethernet light to disappear before internet connection is dropped?
if all these in INTERNET PORT of the router issues then call ISP and have come out check the LINE or

have pc directly the DSL modem and check if works better

and make sure see router setup on my sig below and setup is right.

also if you are using TORRENTS, stop using it.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:30 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I bypassed the router and connected my laptop directly via Ethernet to the modem -- it's worked for fine for several hours now with no drop-offs. I would assume this test verifies the stability problem is with the router and not with my DSL connection or modem.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:42 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

If you connected directly to your DSL modem then are you running a connection client on the PC to log into your ISP network, or is the modem not in Bridged Mode?

My name is Andy.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:54 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yes, I've bypassed the router and I'm connected directly to the modem from my PC via Ethernet -- stability in the is setup has not been a problem.

What is "bridge mode" and how do I set that up in the router settings?
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphsett View Post
Yes, I've bypassed the router and I'm connected directly to the modem from my PC via Ethernet -- stability in the is setup has not been a problem.

What is "bridge mode" and how do I set that up in the router settings?
CALL ISP and ask how to do that . bridge mode makes DSL modem/router in MODEM ONLY mode.