Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Adapters > Super-G (108 Mbps) & 802.11g (54 Mbps) Adapters

Old February 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

AndyM1725 is on a distinguished road
Default Problems connecting to Netgear Wireless network

Hello,

I have a Netgear Wireless-G USB Adapter WG111 and a Netgear WGT624 v4 wireless router and I am having problems with extremely inconsistent ability to connect to the Internet on a laptop computer. There seem to be two separate issues that arise when I cannot to the Internet, but they appear to be somehow related. BTW, the computer in question is a Gateway 400VTX laptop and the wired computer is an HP Pavilion s7620n PC. There are walls between the router and the laptop, but the connection is fine when I manage to get connected (usually between 76 and 80%) and I have tested the laptop in the same room as the router and the same performance issues still arise.

Often when I start the laptop and the netgear utility attempts to connect to the wireless network, it will instead connect to "hpsetup" and I am not able to connect to the Internet. I do not have an HP wireless printer and the wireless connection on my HP desktop computer is disabled. If I attempt to connect to my wireless network by selecting it and hitting apply in the Netgear utility, it will either not connect to anything or default back to "hpsetup". Occasionally, I can fix this problem by removing and reinserting the USB adapter or through some combination of restarting the computer, shutting it down and removing and reinserting the adapter. Sometimes one restart or shut down will do the trick, other times I have to try multiple times to get it to connect. I also notice that often, but not always, when I am connected to "hpsetup" and I select the Networks tab in the Netgear wireless utility it will show two identically named wireless networks (the name of my wireless network) with different IP addresses. When the connection is working properly, only one wireless network will be displayed in the Network tab.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated. I consider myself to be a reasonably competent user, so it's probably not necessary that I be walked through the solution step-by-step unless it is complex. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

-Andy
Old February 21st, 2010, 01:35 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Problems connecting to Netgear Wireless network

Quote:
it will instead connect to "hpsetup"
not sure but that could be other SSID you are reading or AD-HOC on printer, pc can cause issues

also WG111 is 54MBps. Use B&G mode in wireless setting of the WGT624 web gui
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com