Old February 27th, 2010, 10:47 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

abay is on a distinguished road
Default N150 router and modem installation issue

Hello
I've purchased a n150 router and modem and despite setting it up exactly as set in the manual I'm having problems. When the installation gets to "router communications", I don't get a tick and everything stops... I have gone through the problem with technical support at netgear and after verifying everything was set up correctly they advised me to get a replacement from the store. I have done so and am still getting the same... any ideas? MANY THANKS!
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: N150 router and modem installation issue

see router setup on my sig below
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:57 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for that! I've managed to get passed this now. I am now having the problem trying to connect to the internet... i receive "Error 678". I know all of my details are correct. Any ideas? Many thanks for your help!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Error 678"
where you get this
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:11 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

mayank_leo is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thats not at all a problem, sounds like you have a DSL Connection and you are still trying to connect using the dial up adapter.

I would like to provide you the steps for proper isntallation, all I would like to know is this information from you

Name of your Internet Service Provider (Cable or DSL Company)

Number of computers Desktops and Laptops with the Operating Systems like windows xp or vista

Thanks

Mayank
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

The error code came up when I tried to connect to the internet

I have one laptop with Windows XP. We use Virgin as our ISP and we are a national customer, NOT a cable. I've contacted them and they've given me the following:

Select ‘Start'

Select ‘Connect to'

Select ‘Show all connections'

Right click on the Virgin Media Broadband dialler icon and select 'Delete' from the menu

When presented with a confirmation of delete request, select 'Yes'

Select ‘Create a New Connection' from the menu on the left side

When presented with a connection wizard please select ‘Next'

Select ‘Connect to the internet' and press ‘Next'

Select ‘Set up your connection manually' and press ‘Next'

Select ‘Connect using a dial up modem' and press ‘Next'

From the list of modems available select the ‘SpeedTouch modem'

Name the connection ‘Virgin Media Broadband' and press ‘Next'

Enter the phone number as ‘0' (zero) and press ‘Next'

Enter the Username and password and press ‘Next'

Which isn't much help as I'm not using a speedtouch modem anymore! And the Netgear modem doesn't appear in the list either... your help is very much appreciated! Thanks again
Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Banned

follow router setup on my sig below
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:22 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hi Sir,

Thanks for the providing us the steps that virgin gave you, it sure helps me understanding the problem better, let me introduce my self first I am a netgear tech support engineer and have helped many other people in the UK with these kind of problems, so I hope I might be able to provide a solution to you as well.

Now let me explain you something about Virgin Broadband UK

Virgin Broadband is a kind of Internet Service Provider in the UK who has two kind of connections

1. Virgin.net ADSL- This is a connection which works on your regular telephone line, that means that your telephone and your modem (which probably was a speedtouch modem in your case) to the same telephone line using an ADSL Line Splitter.

2. Virgin Media- This is a connection in which virgin installs a thick co-axial cable to your house and provide you with a cable modem with which you get your internet connection and usually the Television signal as well.

Now coming back to the point with your explanation it appears as if you have an ADSL connection which is the No.1 described above. Now the question is what kind of router have you purchased, because NETGEAR manufactures the routers of both kind of connections for virgin media.

Depending on the type of internet connection that you have you need a compatible router. Let me tell you

For the ADSL Connection which is the No.1 above you need a DGN2000 Router

And for the Cable connection which is the No. 2 above you need a WNR2000 Router

So, now my questions are,

1. What is the type of your Internet connection No.1 or No.2 above, if you are still not sure you can simply ring virgin and ask them that what is the type of your internet connection is it Cable or ADSL? they will surely be able to tell you.

2. What is the correct model no of your router is it something starting with DG or W? if you are not sure you can look underneath the router and provide me the first three letters of the Serial No, I will figure that out.

So please provide me these details so that I can help you get your Internet connection working at the earliest.

Thanks

Mayank
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:58 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Smile Re: N150 router and modem installation issue

Hi there

We have the virgin/net ADSL internet and the model number we have is DGN1000 Many thanks for your help once again .
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:00 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abay View Post
Hi there

We have the virgin/net ADSL internet and the model number we have is DGN1000 Many thanks for your help once again .
Hi,

Thanks for the Information, now that I know you have an ADSL connection I would be able to tell you the steps that you need to do now to setup this router, and yes this is the correct model of the router that you should use with the Virgin ADSL connection or any other ADSL Internet provider in the UK

The only thing that you have not mentioned till now is how many computers you have, like Laptops and Desktop and which operating system they work on like Windows XP or Windows Vista etc.

Now here are the steps

Note*: We will install the Router manually and will not use the NETGEAR CD

The wireless routers are usually setup in two phases. In the first phase we connect any computer wired to the router with the ethernet cable and get the router setup to give a wired connection and then we do the wireless settings on the router and then disconnect the computer from the router and then connect the computer to the wireless signal being broadcast from the router.

But I did not get an answer to how many computer do you have?

So I am assuming that we are setting up the router with your laptop which is running on Windows XP

Step-1: You need to connect the Ethernet Cable (Usually Yellow supplied with the router) from the Back of the router to your laptop

Step-2: Now one of the LAN Ports on the router should lit

Step-3: You should use the Internet Explorer to setup the router. Lets first prepare the Internet Explorer to communicate with the router properly. Open the Internet Explorer and Click on Tools in the top menu bar, now go to Internet Options, In the Internet Options Dialog box click on the Connections Tab, On this page you should see there will be three options on this page

1. Never Dial a Connection

2. Dial whenever a network connection is not present

3. Always dial my default connection

Now, I assume that as you were using the speedtouch modem till now your browser must be using the 3rd option i.e. Always Dial my default connection, which it should not anymore, because now as you are using the NETGEAR router you do not have to dial in to your internet service provider anymore because the router has this dialer built-in and the router does that automatically, so you should now select the option Never dial a connection and then click Apply and Ok and close this box.

You should also check that your browser is not configured to Work Offline, to check this you need to click on File menu option in the menu bar and on the bottom of the File menu is an option work offline, make sure this option should be Un-Ticked.

Step-4: Now clear everything from the address bar and type just these numbers 192.168.0.1 and press enter. It should now prompt you for a username and password. In the username type admin and in the password type password both in lowercase letters and then click ok, now you should be logged into the NETGEAR router's setting web-interface. On this page on the Left hand side dark blue column click on Router Status under Maintenance

On this page plz look for the IP Address under the ADSL Port, which should be some randome numbers like 92.54.86.8 or any numbers like these if you have some numbers that means your router is connected to the Internet but if you dont have anything for the IP address under the ADSL Port then it means your router is not connected to the Internet, If you do not have any IP address then you should click on the Basic Settings at the top under Setup in the Blue column on the Left.

On this page first there is a question, "Does your Internet Requires a Login?
answer it with YES

and then for Encapsulation select PPPoA(PPP over ATM) which Virgin uses

and then in the Login and Password boxes type your ADSL username and Password which you must have got from Virgin.

*Note:Plz be very careful while typing this information becasue this is what gets your internet connection working and this information should be accurate.

after this on the same page you will get and option for Internet IP Address, put it on Get Dynamically from ISP

and below that you'll get an option Domain Name Server(DNS Address), put it on get dynamically from ISP and below that you'll get an option NAT(Network Address Translation) it should be Enabled and then click Apply on the bottom of this page and it will just come back on the same page.

Now you should click on the Router Status under Maintenance again and see if you have got an IP Address under the ADSL Port, if you have the it is fine but if not, let me know and we'll have to stop and proceed diffrently.

Assuming you have got the IP address on the ADSL Port now your wired connection to the Internet has actually started working to check that you should minimize the Netgear Router's settings page and open a new internet explorer window and it should bring up your home page.

Step-5: Now lets do the wireless settings on the Router to connect your laptop wirelessly. To do that you need to click on Wireless Settings under Setup in the Blue column on the Left.

On this page the you need to do the settings I am giving below.

Name (SSID): This will be the name of your wireless network, give it any name but keep it small one word in one case only lowercase or uppercase (Example, your last name or anything)
Region:Europe
Channel:Auto
Mode:Up to 150 Mbps

Security Options: Under the security options you can choose the option WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) as you click on this option on the bottom of this page you can type a security encryption key which will be the password for your wireless network to protect your wireless network from nearby users. Make sure the password is not less than 8 letter, I would strongly recommend you create a numeric password because this password will be case sensitive but that does not apply to the numbers and this a common mistake a lot of people make while typing the password for wi-fi and do not remeber whether it was uppercase or lowercase. After typing the security encryption just click Apply on the bottom of the page. It will just come back on the same page.

Now click on the Router Status again under Maintenance and check the wireless settings on the bottom of the page under Wireless Port and it should reflect all the settings that we did on the wireless settings page.

Now on the Left hand side blue column scroll down to the bottom and click Logout and you will get this message "The web page you are viewing is trying to close the window". Click on yes

Now as we checked that your wired connection to the Internet is already working

Now Unplug the yellow ethernet cable from your laptop, and on your laptop on the right hand side bottom corner there will be a wireless network connection icon, just right click on that and left click on View available wireless network and you should be able to see your wireless network you just need to double click on your wireless network and it will ask you for a network key and this is the same security encryption key that you created in the wireless settings of your router, if you are using windows XP you should type this twice and click connect and you should be connected

Once you are connected you should just click on Internet Explorer and you will get your home page straight away.

*Note: As I mentioned in the begining that you should not click on anything to connect to the Internet instead just click on the Internet explorer and it will log you on to the Internet.

Well, I know it will take a long time for you to go through my explanation but please go through it thouroughly because this was the best I could explain and for that it took me 70 minutes to type the whole thing.

If you still have any questions please let me know and I will be glad to help

Mayank