Old March 8th, 2010, 07:48 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jochr is on a distinguished road
Default GS105e duplicate ping reply's

Hello,

I just noticed something weird with my Netgear GS105E switch when connecting it into my network using dot802.1Q vlan tags 2&3.

I have two vlan's with two of the ports tagging both of them, connecting to a cisco switch. One port untagged for my pc and on tagged for my linux server with both of the vlan's.

The weird thing happening is that if i ping something the IP of the netgear always reply to. And ping'ing domain names never work.

Example pinging a ip:

ping 195.88.55.16
PING 195.88.55.16 (195.88.55.16) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.150.4: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=4.63 ms
64 bytes from 195.88.55.16: icmp_seq=1 ttl=247 time=7.40 ms (DUP!)
64 bytes from 192.168.150.4: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=4.62 ms
64 bytes from 195.88.55.16: icmp_seq=2 ttl=247 time=20.2 ms (DUP!)

Example pinging the hostname with the ip in the example over:

ping vg.no
PING vg.no (195.88.54.16) 56(84) bytes of data.

no reply at all.

192.168.150.4 is the ip of my netgear.

Any suggestions what the he.. is happening?
Scratching my head wondering atm.

Jo Christian
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:57 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jochr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GS105e duplicate ping reply's

Just wanted to add that even if I disconnect all the cables connected to the switch. Appart from my own computer the switch still reply's to pings. Even if I don't have a connection to the internet where the ip exists.

This has to be a sw bug
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:40 AM
NETGEAR Prophet

beisser is on a distinguished road

contact techsupport on this, they may have a new firmware for your switch.
How to contact Techsupport online!
IPSEC-VPN, Tips and Tricks and Howto's
How to get proper access to the Enterprise-Forum!

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

EVA1: EVA9000 -> 32" Samsung LCD
EVA2: EVAx000 -> 32" Samsung LCD
NAS: ReadyNAS Pro RNDP6610
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:52 AM

andreabix is on a distinguished road

I have got exactly the same problem! The switch replies to every ping to any ip address!! So, If I ping an existing host I get a duplicate reply, if I ping any other IP address (example 1.2.3.4) the bastard replies!!!
Netgear has not released any firmware upgrade... everybody is warned!
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

SecretSquirrel is on a distinguished road

I've been having similar problems too. Near as I can tell, my GS105E has been hosing my network, so I've taken it out of service and replaced it with a spare GS105 (non-E). Things seem much better now (fingers crossed).

I saw two issues:

1. It would respond with its own IP address to pings outside the LAN (e.g. to a public address on the Internet), not the remote address. Same for internal IP addresses that were unavailable due to...
2. It would somehow hose the upstream network such that some devices on uplinked switches (maybe all devices) were not available. Devices pinged from those switches would be fine, but it was blocking anything getting through itself to the uplinked switches.

So much for a semi-intelligent switch...
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

SecretSquirrel is on a distinguished road

P.S. In my case, the GS105E is vanilla - no VLANs, etc. It is uplinked to two GS108T's (also vanilla except for some use of LACP, but no VLANs).
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:23 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

nominous is on a distinguished road

Not only does it respond to pings but doing a traceroute gets as far as the switch and no further.
This is vanilla fresh out of the box.

I have had my first experience of it seemingly loosing the rest of my network as well.
Disconnected my PC from my current switch and fitting the GS105E inline.
Was working fine for about five minutes then I lose the ability to connect to remote websites.
Computer connected to the same master switch NOT via the GS105E was able to contact the same websites without issue.

Then after a minute or so suddenly the GS105E was allowing the PC connected through it to see them.

Another things which is quite irritating is the need to use the windows software to configure the switch. I see that port 80 is open on the switch but there is no response when connecting to that port. It suggests that a web interface is onthe cards. It would make the experience very much better for config as the windows app is frankly quite slow and not going to be as good for remote management.

The traceroute / ping and certainly the locking up bugs are very serious and at the moment I would not reccommend purchasing one of these until new firmware is released.
This is a real shame as I have an application for these where I would want to be buying several hundred for my company as a 5 port switch with port mirroring is quite hard to come by !!
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Skud is on a distinguished road

Same issue here.. Just unpacked a GS105e and found the same issue.

I have ports 1-3 untagged VLAN1
Port 4 tagged VLAN2
Port 5 tagged VLAN1-2

On VLAN1 it seems to be working okay, it doesn't respond to pings. However on VLAN2 the GS105e will respond to a ping to ANY I.P. address. If the address doesn't exist you get a reply from just the GS105e's address instead of an expected timeout. If the I.P. does exist then you get duplicate replies. Once from the switch and once from the other device.

This is a very serious issue and basically makes the switch unusable. It needs to be fixed ASAP.

Also, what's with the windows application needed to manage the switch? My alarm clock has web management, why doesn't this switch?

Riley
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:34 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Skud is on a distinguished road

I take it back.. The switch does reply to all pings, even on VLAN1.

I called support and explained the issue. At first, I was told this is "normal" for a switch to respond to pings because this is not a layer 3 switch. After explaining that this is most definitely NOT normal I was put on hold and then told that "engineering has known about this issue for a two or three weeks and is working to fix the problem". The support representative could not give me an ETA.

Until this issue is resolved, I think it's best to stay away from this switch.

Riley
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:03 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

nominous is on a distinguished road

These are worth a look if you are looking for the port mirroring ability.
Very cheap too.

http://www.dual-comm.com/port-mirroring-LAN_switch.htm

It's quite a shame that no one from Netgear is commenting on this thread or giving any update. You'd think that if they go to the trouble of running a forum they might have support people reading it and giving information.

Perhaps they are embarrassed that such rudimentary testing wasn't done before release ?