Old March 12th, 2010, 01:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

cannibalrock is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Enabling Guest net disables wifi router radio

Before I go on, this is only concerning the wireless b/g/n connections:

I just bought the wndr3700 after my wrt54gs died on me this evening. The sales lady sold me on the "can create a separate SSID for roommates and such". After setting it up with the basic wired connection, then the wireless b/g/n connection enabling ssid and security.. I went to setup the Guest b/g/n. Mind you under the advanced settings "Enable Wireless Router Radio" this was checked and the router also was indicating that wireless was on and working. As well, my iPhone was already on the network. Now, I simply setup the guest b/g/n with similar settings as my wifi, cept for the ssid and security password were changed, obviously.

Lets just say my net wifi was "home" with "pass1111" and that the guest was set as "guest" with "pass0000". When I clicked on apply the router wifi light indicator turned off. The browser refreshed and showed that the settings were saved. So I figured ok, let me power on the wifi via the button on the router. Turned it on and I couldn't see any one of my ssids. I turned it back off and went to Advanced settings. It showed that the Enable Wireless Router Radio box was unchecked. I checked the box, applied, and when it refreshed it was unchecked again. It seemed as though theres no way to enable wifi with guest enabled at all.

The only thing I could do now is have myself and the roommates on the same network now. Turning anything on in the guest bgn area totally turns off wifi completely. Even if i hit the button on the router, my laptop, iphone, psp and any other wifi device cant find a recognizable ssid. Am I missing something?

Is the router not capable of having dual b/g/n with 2 separate SSIDs? cause whenever anything in guest b/g/n is turned on, there is no broadcast what so ever, even manually entering the SSID still doesn't help, it says thats its not found.
Old March 12th, 2010, 05:39 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Enabling Guest net disables wifi router radio

see router reset on my sig below and reset. try again. step 2,3 under #4
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:31 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

After hours of trying to figure it out. I did a hard reset via the instructions you provided and still not able to enable b/g/n regular with b/g/n guest. Could it possibly be that I have a defective unit?
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibalrock View Post
After hours of trying to figure it out. I did a hard reset via the instructions you provided and still not able to enable b/g/n regular with b/g/n guest. Could it possibly be that I have a defective unit?
give support a call
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:59 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for all your help!

I called support and they walked me through the basic setup...which took waaaay too long but I'm happy they did that anyway. Then we went to the wireless setup and configured some settings. Needless to say, the tech was also kinda befuddled by my issue as well. We still couldn't get it to work.

On my lunch break, I'm running to Fry's to go get an exchange on the netgear for another one, then I'll retest it when I get back to work and let you know what the out come was.

I'm really hoping it was an off chance that I grabbed a defective unit and that the next one I pick up will work properly. lol. If not...I'm at a loss.
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for all your help and the timely repsonses!

I've called support and after going through the default motions of setup, we got to the wireless guest setup, after a couple of tries and different setup scenerio's we're still unable to enable guest b/g/n ssid with normal b/g/n ssid.

I'm going to fry's to exchange the unit with another, hoping that the one i picked up by chance was defective. Maybe i'll have better luck this time around. If it's still the same problem...iono...I'm hoping it isn't.

I really have faith in this router, seeing as my PS3 got a quick down and up speed from it while streaming videos and downloading usenets, but i just want that guest function to work simultaneously with my secured network. At this point I can see the functionality of the product...its just not working properly.

crossing my fingers...when I get it hooked up and tested I'll let you know the results.
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:12 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Just got back from fry's with another wndr3700 and I'm facing the same issue yet again...

Am I missing something? Am I not able to make a b/g/n wifi network that broadcasts an SSID at the same time of having a guest b/g/n that transmits its own SSID on the 2.4 ghz band?

Seems as though when I call tech support, they have no idea what I'm explaining to them.
Old March 13th, 2010, 03:42 AM
NETGEAR Expert

RoderickGI is on a distinguished road

I have a normal and a guest network set up on the 2.4 GHz band, both working fine.

I use two different SSIDs, one is using WPA2-PSK, the other WEP 128 bit, but just by coincidence I am using the same pass phrase on both at the moment. Try that and see what happens. If it works, you don't have to tell anyone you are using the same pass phrase on each network.
Old March 13th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

whitesox is on a distinguished road

I have guest enabled my 2.4 radio, both are using WPA2-PSK and different passphrases.

What version of firmware are you running? Maybe you have something really old and buggy?
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:24 AM

dmulberry is on a distinguished road

I just bought my WNDR3700 (from Fry's as well) and I am experiencing the same problem. Everything works great until I enable the guest network and then all wireless networks dissapear. I have tried a few different combinations of SSIDs and security with the same outcome.

I am running firmware V1.0.4.55NA

Anyone else on this firmware able to confirm they can use Guest networks without a problem?