Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wired Networking Products for SOHO Applications > Wired Routers & Modem Gateways

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:22 AM
jatwap jatwap is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
jatwap is on a distinguished road
Default 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

Can anyone help?

I've got Virgin cable with a hard wired modem currently attached to my main home PC. Internet access is fine via this.

I was sent a free Virgin Media wireless router - WGR614 and have been trying to connect this up so I can use my laptop (Vista o/s) to access the internet.

I've connected the yellow cable from the Internet port on the wireless router to the cable router and there are two constant green lights on the wireless router - power and wireless.

Th laptop can see the wireless router and connect to it successfully but only gives 'local only' access - no internet access. When I ask Windows to diagnose the issue it says that there is a DNS problem.

Where am I going wrong? / any ideas how to resolve?...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:47 AM
jmizoguchi's Avatar
jmizoguchi jmizoguchi is offline
Senior Member
NETGEAR Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 95,276
jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

turn the BROADBAND MODEM "off" for 5min before changing the any devices behind the modem
__________________
VPN Case Study (www.vpncasestudy.com)
Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study
"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"


Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:52 AM
methuselah_'s Avatar
methuselah_ methuselah_ is offline
Senior Member
NETGEAR Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,071
methuselah_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

OK lets check some things here..

Is you home PC online while connected wired to the router? if not.. do the following:
1. using your home PC (which I believe connected wired to the router), access the UI of the router at http://routerlogin.com
2. log in with username: admin, password: password
3. click the rotuer status on the left hand side and check if you have an IP address on the Internet Port. What is the IP address?
4. if there is none, click basic settings.
select 'No' for "does your internet connection require a log in" question.
internet IP address = get dynamically.
DNS = get automatically.
router MAC address = use computer's MAC address.
5. apply settings.

If yes, check the IP poperties of the wireless connection of your laptop. Set both the IP and the DNS settings to be obtained automatically/dynamically.
__________________
"I make no claims to be an expert; I have got things wrong in the past and will again in the future." ~Mars Mug, Netgear Forums
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 27th, 2010, 07:09 AM
jatwap jatwap is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
jatwap is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
turn the BROADBAND MODEM "off" for 5min before changing the any devices behind the modem
Do you mean that I should simply power down the cable hard wired modem and turn back on and it should work?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 27th, 2010, 07:10 AM
jatwap jatwap is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
jatwap is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by methuselah_ View Post
OK lets check some things here..

Is you home PC online while connected wired to the router? if not.. do the following:
1. using your home PC (which I believe connected wired to the router), access the UI of the router at http://routerlogin.com
2. log in with username: admin, password: password
3. click the rotuer status on the left hand side and check if you have an IP address on the Internet Port. What is the IP address?
4. if there is none, click basic settings.
select 'No' for "does your internet connection require a log in" question.
internet IP address = get dynamically.
DNS = get automatically.
router MAC address = use computer's MAC address.
5. apply settings.

If yes, check the IP poperties of the wireless connection of your laptop. Set both the IP and the DNS settings to be obtained automatically/dynamically.
Yes, my home PC is online while connected to the wired router -though I can turn it off....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 27th, 2010, 07:14 AM
jmizoguchi's Avatar
jmizoguchi jmizoguchi is offline
Senior Member
NETGEAR Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 95,276
jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatwap View Post
Do you mean that I should simply power down the cable hard wired modem and turn back on and it should work?
Every time you change ANY devices physically connected the modem MUST turn off the MODEM for few minutes before you can replace/change it


modem<--->router<--->PC and other on wireless
__________________
VPN Case Study (www.vpncasestudy.com)
Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study
"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"


Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
methuselah_'s Avatar
methuselah_ methuselah_ is offline
Senior Member
NETGEAR Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,071
methuselah_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

Quote:
Yes, my home PC is online while connected to the wired router -though I can turn it off....
I guess you dont have any problems with the modem.. Please check the IP address (including DNS and Gateway) on your wireless comp and compare it to the online wired computer.
__________________
"I make no claims to be an expert; I have got things wrong in the past and will again in the future." ~Mars Mug, Netgear Forums
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:04 AM.