Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old March 30th, 2010, 05:57 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

david888m is on a distinguished road
Default connection with router or not?

I couldn't see other computers on my network, so I reset my WGR614 v6. I can't log into my router with 192.168.0.1 and 192,168.1.1, but can log into my WGR614 v6 with routerlogin.com. After the setup, I wasn't able to connect to the internet through the router. I downloaded the firmware, but attempts at upgrading gives this error message repeatedly: "The connection has timed out".

Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions.
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:01 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: connection with router or not?

too many stuff at once.

one... firmware corruption can dead the router. big mistake before you can not get router to function correctly

see router reset on my is sit below, reset first

then see router setup on my sig below and setup correctly
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:57 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I reset the router and got the defaults: admin, password.

Just life before, I can't log into my router with 192.168.0.1 and 192,168.1.1, but can log into my WGR614 v6 with routerlogin.com.

After the setup, I'm still unable to connect to the internet through the router after many tries. At one point, I got the message below:
"Important update

To avoid a conflict with your Internet Service Provider, your router's IP address has been updated to 10.0.0.1.

You must now update the IP addresses in your router's configuration settings for each relevant service, such as port forwarding and IP address reservation."
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:23 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Your IP address (if you posted from your own LAN) tells me that you have a DSL service. That, coupled with the automatic change of LAN subnet to 10.0.0.x suggests that your DSL modem is actually a combined modem/router unit and is currently in router mode, you need to change it to Bridged Mode. Google you modem model number along with the words Bridged Mode and you are almost guaranteed to find out how to do that.

After setting the modem to Bridged Mode, but before connecting the 614 factory reset the 614 so that it will have a fresh look at the kind of Internet connection you have. Also, as soon as you set the modem to Bridged Mode you will lose your Internet connection until you connect and configure the 614, the reason being the 614 will hold your ISP login details which the modem currently holds (so you will need those details ready).

My name is Andy.
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:09 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Andy, I posted from my own LAN and have DSL service. You said that my "DSL modem is actually a combined modem/router unit". However, why does it have only one wired output whereas my 614 has 4 wired + wireless outputs?

You wrote that I need to change my modem to bridged mode. Why was everything working fine in non-bridged mode since I started using this DSL ISP since early Jan this year? I'm concerned about losing my current direct internet connection from the DSL modem to one computer. Thanks.
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:59 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by david888m View Post
1. Andy, I posted from my own LAN and have DSL service. You said that my "DSL modem is actually a combined modem/router unit". However, why does it have only one wired output whereas my 614 has 4 wired + wireless outputs?

2. You wrote that I need to change my modem to bridged mode. Why was everything working fine in non-bridged mode since I started using this DSL ISP since early Jan this year? I'm concerned about losing my current direct internet connection from the DSL modem to one computer. Thanks.
1. The number of ports the unit has does not define it as a router, it could have 1, 4, 32, it really doesn’t matter.

2. If I am correct your modem is operating in router mode and the IP address it allocates to the 614 is a private (routed) IP address e.g. 192.168.1.2 and the 614 on seeing this has automatically set it’s LAN subnet to 10.0.0.x because it cannot route between the same subnet on both the WAN (Internet) side and the LAN side.

Having two routers connected in series is not recommended and can lead to problems with things like port forwarding and LAN addressing as you have seen, but it is not necessarily wrong and as you have found can work.

It explains why you could not access the router interface via the default IP addresses, because the LAN subnet was automatically changed.

The URL www.routerlogin.net is intercepted by the router and it allows you access to its configuration pages, since this URL has no IP address it still works even if the LAN subnet has been changed.

The inability to connect to the Internet or update firmware could be due to DNS addresses not being properly passed on to the 614 or from there on to the PCs, this will give the impression that the Internet is not available. Loss of DNS through a chain of routers is not uncommon, especially if each one acts as a DNS proxy (providing its own IP address rather than the actual IP address and then forwarding requests).

Everything you might do to try to resolve this should be reversible quite easily, if you put the modem into Bridged Mode then often all it takes to get it back to router mode is a simple reset, but you would need to know your ISP login details since you will have to re-enter that info.

If you are concerned about setting the modem to Bridged Mode then contact your ISP, they should be able to help.

My name is Andy.
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:29 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
Everything you might do to try to resolve this should be reversible quite easily, if you put the modem into Bridged Mode then often all it takes to get it back to router mode is a simple reset, but you would need to know your ISP login details since you will have to re-enter that info.
Thanks, Andy. You are talking about resetting the DSL modem to get it back to router mode, right?

After I put the DSL modem into Bridged Mode and connect the 614, I would have to put in my username and password with my ISP into the 614 setup, correct? How should I ask my ISP about the service name?

Thank you.
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:35 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

You only to worried about username amd password under wgr router's basic setting after your setup dsl in bridge mode

Use "other"(drop down) for option when you setup under basic setting

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old March 31st, 2010, 12:50 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I phoned my ISP's tech support. He said that I can put either the modem or the 614 in bridged mode. He also said that it would be better to put the 614 in bridged mode so I'll have DSL whether I connect the modem to a single computer directly or through the router to all computers.

I can browse on all computers now. Thank you.
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:05 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by david888m View Post
I phoned my ISP's tech support. He said that I can put either the modem or the 614 in bridged mode. He also said that it would be better to put the 614 in bridged mode so I'll have DSL whether I connect the modem to a single computer directly or through the router to all computers.

I can browse on all computers now. Thank you.
netgear router can NOT put into bridge mode.

bridge mode is for DSL modem/router unit ONLY

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy