Old April 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dishinit is on a distinguished road
Default enabling Video Network causes stuttering on HD

HI,
Just picked up the WNDR3700, and when setting up the Wireless "N" band, if I enable "Video Network" box, it causes my HD streaming content to stutter.
Has anyone else experienced this?

My settings are as follows:
Client 6' away from router (for testing)
Client is WNDR3100 USB Dual Band adapter to a Win 7 x64 HTPC
Advanced settings on client are "Auto" and up to 300Mphs on 5GHz Band checked (no others checked)
WNDR3700
Wireless Settings:
2.4GHz... b.g.n = /no SSID Broadcast
Up to 300Mphs
Ch: 11
WPA-PSK(TKIP)+WPA2(AES)

5GHz...a/n band
Up to 300Mphs
Ch:l 36/40
Enable SSID
"Not" checked Enable Video Network
WPA2-AES

Advanced Wireless = Preamble on both radio's = Auto
QoS = off
WMM = On, both radios.

As I noted, when I check the "Video Network" button on the 5GHz radio...I get stuttering HD Streaming. When off, much better HD Streaming....almost/if not perfect streaming.
Is there anyone that can provide some insight?
Thanks
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

sptmaster is on a distinguished road
Default Re: enabling Video Network causes stuttering on HD

You have your 2.4ghz radio set to 300MBPS which means you are in 40mhz bonded channel mode.

This means if you specify 11 as your main channel, you will also have a secondary channel such as 9 operating at the same time. This is a problem in the 2.4ghz band because of the high amounts of congestion (other 802.11b/g/n users, microwaves, phones), and can cause low throughput, or stuttering.

Set your 2.4ghz radio to 130mbps, and pick channel 1 or 11 (the least congested, if you are able to check).

I tried 2.4ghz in "300 mbps" mode, and it was nothing but trouble for me, but 130mbps ran really smooth.
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

also several other things:

1) Turning off SSID broadcast does not make your WLAN more secure. There are ways to get the name of a SSID even if it is not being broadcast.

2) Your wireless encryption is TKIP+AES. 802.11N functions best using JUST AES.

Last edited by Mars Mug; February 18th, 2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:02 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate your comments relevant to the 2.4GHz band.
Some clarification.......
I am connecting at 300Mphs on the "5 Ghz" band.
My question has to do with the 5GHz band and the "Video Network" setting specifically for that band.
My understanding from the documentation is that when the "Video Network" is enabled, the router adopts algorithms specifically designed for video playback/streaming and aids in locking in transmission rates and reduces jitter........My experience is the opposite.

Even if I have the 2.4 GHz band turned off, and am only transmitting on the 5Ghz band.......... When I enable the "Video Network" check box, my streaming HD content (Blu Ray on hard disk) will stutter. Of course this is after a complete router reboot. If I disable this check box, my HD streams with less stuttering, or practically no stuttering at all. The file and player (TMT3) are fine, no stutters with LAN connection playback.

So the paranoid part of me asks if there is something not right with my router....the practical part of me suspects it is operator error....

By the way, I have tested this with every Chanel in the 5 GHz range.
There are no other 5GHz broadcasts in my site survey and only 3 to 4 max 2.4 GHz broadcasting routers in my neighborhood. No one on Chanel 11, 2.4 GHz, when I have that radio on.
I would appreciate any more thoughts...........
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

The 5ghz band does not have the wall-penetration and range that the 2.4ghz band does. If your Access Point is on the same floor as your HD Video Devices, and relatively close (75 feet), it should work fine I'd imagine. Walls and especially Ceilings will kill the signal REALLY FAST.

To put into perspective the shortcomings of 5ghz band I'll give you an example. My Xbox 360 (802.11n wireless adapter) gets 4/4 Bars on the 2.4ghz SSID. On the 5ghz SSID it gets 1/4 bars if any connection. The access point is 1 wall and 1 ceiling away, about 25-30 feet.

As for that checkbox.. I have no idea what it does, I'm guessing it is supposed to optimize the network for HD streaming? To be honest I would not bother using it, especially if it is causing problems. You either have the bandwidth or you don't. If you ever run into problems, you can always setup QoS.

Last edited by Mars Mug; February 18th, 2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm getting 3, sometimes 4 bars (108 to 243 Mbps on client) using the "N" band with two walls, a central heater and ducting, full linen closet and two hollow core doors, over approx 22', direct line of site. So I should not complain.
When streaming HD content on the "N" band, my transmission rate steadies out between 162 to 243 Mbps and a rare stutter as long as I leave that "Video Network" check box unchecked.
I get all 5 bars at 2.4Ghz (and 300 Mbps on client), but get more stuttering with streaming HD content, regardless of my transmission rate setting in the 3700.

I am still wondering about the efficacy of that "Video Network" check box?

I did test my "N" guest network with "Video Network" checked and watching streamed Netflix, but that is just DVD content or lower (DIVX or similar) so no stuttering. I had not enabled access to my local network, but expect same stuttering behavior with HD content when I have a chance to check.
I am currently running V1.0.4.49NA firmware.

Does anyone have positive real time experience of the "Video Network" algorithms, and if so, under what conditions/router settings?
Inquiring minds want to know.........
Thanks
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

OK, just wanted to update my efforts again. I talked with Netgear Support today about a different problem and queried the CS about the Video Network settings.
She suggested to use the N band with Chanel 11 in the 2.4 GHz range, and set Transmission speeds to 130 Mbps (as mentioned by an earlier poster, thank you) This worked with a PC using a WN111v2 USB adapter....no stuttering.
For the 5 GHz band, she said to use Chanel 36 and check the Video Network box....
This did not work using a WNDA3100 USB adapter on 5 GHz or for that matter when on the 2.4 Ghz N band with the same adapter. It did not matter what chanel I was on.
I swapped adapters out and Voila..... smooth streaming on the 2,4 Ghz N band.
So it appears my problem may be a wonky WNDA3100 adapter.
Does anyone have an excellent/good performing Dual Range N adapter that works well with the WNDR3700 to recommend? Preferably USB.
Looks like I'll have to wait for further testing on the 5 Ghz Band with "Video Network" checked until I get a new
5 Ghz adapter.
Thanks
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

rio972 is on a distinguished road

Hi dishinit

I have just the same experience.

Using WNDR3700 with the same settings as yours and streaming video over the 5GHz N network to WDTV Live with Cisco/Linksys USB network adapter wusb600N.

Getting 4 bars, with Video Network box checked the video stutters after a couple of minutes and not just this. It seems that the data floods the WDTV player as it bacomes non-responsive.

With the box unchecked, everything seems almost perfect. I'm able to stream HD (even 1080p) almost flawlessly. Also the WDTV is super responsive.

Oh, just to mention that usually I stream Network Shares from a EXT3 formatted 1TB WD external USB disk connected to the router.

Since it's a while from your last post, do you experience the same?

Still problems with the Video Network box enabled?

Cheers

Last edited by Mars Mug; February 18th, 2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:19 AM
NETGEAR Addict

htismaqe is on a distinguished road

A while? It's been A YEAR!

The "Enable Video Network" setting on the router is basically an acceleration/reliability algorithm that is supposed to help reduce jitter and packet loss for video streams.

However, how it decides what is video and what is not is NOT configurable.

It's possible that the specific protocols used by your WDTV Live are not compatible.

It's also possible that the router is just overwhelming your box with UDP traffic.

It's very difficult to say exactly because Netgear doesn't actually publish any specifics on how it works.
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

neil0311 is on a distinguished road

I have found that enabling the video network makes compressed video from Netflix and Vudu perform much worse, with hanging and stuttering. I have disabled it.