Old April 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

TobyDouglass is on a distinguished road
Default WNDA3100 on Windows 7 64-bit

Hi.

I bought a WNDR3700. I then needed an adapter for my PC.

Having seen a number of (dated) posts on the forum where it was apparent Windows 7 was not supported, I called the Dutch support line to find out for sure one way or the other.

They didn't actually know; but said they thought it probably was supported.

The driver page lists "Vista OS (32-bit and 64-bit)" and also "Windows 7" - without mentioning bits. The Windows 7 compatability page says "use the latest drivers".

Accordingly, since I wanted a matching manufacturer adapter, I took a chance and bought the unit.

Having installed the unit, I can say as of 9th April 2010, the WNDA3100 does NOT, out of the box, support Windows 7 64-bit.

The installer runs and appears to work, although I note it installed to the 32 bit program files directory; Windows can see the USB device, but it reports NO drivers are installed. SmartWizard (the Netgear configuration utility) runs and immediately closes itself. Manual driver installation fails; Windows cannot see any drivers in the Netgear directory. Manual install of the .inf files fails; Windows says "they do not support this install method".

Netgear, what are you playing at? do you *want* to drive customers away? after this experience why would I buy your products in the future?
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:54 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: WNDA3100 on Windows 7 64-bit

I have now manually installed the drivers; "search for drivers" does not work, but if you navigate the driver install dialogs until you find "select a disk", you can in fact select the WNDA3100 drivers, which then install.

However, I still find that SmartWizard opens and then immediately closes itself. As such, I appear to be unable to configure the adapter. (I wonder if the drivers are really installed properly?)

I note some other threads which indicate problems scanning for networks. I have the feeling the first thing SmartWizard does upon starting is scan; and upon failing in some way to scan, closes itself.

I don't need to scan, since I know my SSID and my network is not broadcasting its SSID.

Does anyone have registry key information for the device such that I can configure it manually?

Netgear, you should be deeply concerned that a customer has come to ask such a question.
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:05 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Having rebooted, I have discovered that the drivers have not correctly installed; Windows reported problems with the device, failed to recognize it and now, during the manual install process which previously worked, indicates that there are no compatable drivers in the .inf file I point it at.

So I'm back to having no drivers.

Unless a nice post comes along which solves all my problems, it's game over.

The unit goes back and having been burned, given so many other companies in the marketplace, why would I risk being burned again? I think, Netgear, you have lost a customer. Your site claims Windows 7 and I spent some time and effort buying your device and going down to pick it up; and that time has it seems been wasted.

Either back up your claims or don't make them. There is *law* in the EU which says you cannot make misleading or incorrect claims for product functionality. As far as I can see, you are in violation of that law.
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:31 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: WNDA3100 on Windows 7 64-bit (problem solved)

And in the end, it turns out to be a failure by Netgear to correctly update their web-site.

There are *TWO* versions of the WNDA3100; version 1 and version 2.

If you go to the Netgear site and select "WNDA3100" from the product list, then on that product page click on "support", it takes you to the page for FIRST version of the device (which is no longer available, AFAIK).

All of the problems I encountered presumably came from trying to use v1 drivers with a v2 device.

Using the drivers for the WNDA3100v2, I can correct install drivers and I have configured the device through Windows and now I have a connection. However, SmartWizard *still* doesn't work.

So;

1. NetGear - fix your web-site, FFS!
2. How about having the installers so they detect if they're being installed for the correct device? right now they *appear* to install when in fact they're completely broken.
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:06 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

take your complain to support. call or use my.netgear.com

also http://kb.netgear.com/app/
"Product Support & Downloads" and type the model #

this will also take you the right places

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/list
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/list/p3/43
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/family/a_id/10603
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:51 PM

zigzag03 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: WNDA3100 on Windows 7 64-bit

i have a similar problem installing my v1 version of the 3100. i can't even get the installation program to complete. it extracts and blah blah and then give me an "initializing installation" or some such and locks, green progress line not quite half way across the screen.

i don't get where the driver files are coming from. are you guys running the install program on a 32 bit installation and then copying out the files individually or are you able to actually get the whole install process to complete on 64bit? i've tried it on both of my machines, both 64bit, no dice...

suggestions? thanks